Hewitt, Dent out of French Open
MELBOURNE, Australia - Lleyton Hewitt withdrew from the French Open after failing to recover from a cracked rib in an accident at his Sydney home last week.
Taylor Dent will also be missing when the clay-court Grand Slam begins Monday. The big-serving American pulled out because of an ankle injury, organizers said.
Hewitt, an Australian ranked No. 2, will now point to the grass-court season. The Queen's tournament, a Wimbledon tuneup, starts June 6.
"I have decided to take doctors advice and not play next week as returning too early runs the risk of prolonging my recovery period," Hewitt said in a statement released Thursday by Tennis Australia. "This is obviously disappointing, but I am taking a longer-term approach."
Hewitt, a two-time quarterfinalist at the French Open, was hurt in what his agent called a "mishap" at home. Hewitt had targeted the tournament as his return to tennis. He hasn't played on the ATP Tour since undergoing surgery on his right foot after losing the final at Indian Wells, Calif., in early March.
Hewitt lost the Australian Open final to Marat Safin in January in the year's first Grand Slam event.