Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 AM
bad gambler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotee View Post
The biggest eye-opener I ever had was when I travelled to India on vacation many years ago.

Before then, I thought all Indians were poor, uneducated, starving, had loads of children, tolerated cows on every street corner.

I was unaware of their magnificent civilization lasting thousands of years,
their ethnic European roots, their commitment to democracy.

Vande Mataram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:06 AM
bad gambler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Australians are lazy people

Actually hang on .....
post #33 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned!
 
its.like.that's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: sans domicile fixe
Posts: 34,169
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somalian Refugee View Post
Polish girls can steal some hearts in Germany, that's for sure

Yeah... I know there was such a joke: "Go to Poland, you car is already there"
Q: Why do people go to Polish garage sales?
A: To get their stuff back.



Q: What do Polish people give their kids for Christmas?
A: Your son's toys.
its.like.that is offline  
post #34 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned!
 
its.like.that's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: sans domicile fixe
Posts: 34,169
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
No, it's because jungles appear mostly on tropical environments, and it's not the case in a great part of Brazil...
Isn't the Amazon the worlds biggest rainforest?

The stereotype isn't wrong after all.

And yes your government does cut down too many trees. It cuts down way more trees than Ginger's government. Your government is worse than Ginger's.

its.like.that is offline  
post #35 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Ace Loveforty
 
scarecrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tirana, ALBANIA
Posts: 81,810
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.like.that View Post
Q: Why do people go to Polish garage sales?
A: To get their stuff back.



Q: What do Polish people give their kids for Christmas?
A: Your son's toys.


and I thought we were the only famous country in Europe for that

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=378

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline  
post #36 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,244
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post


and I thought we were the only famous country in Europe for that
You are famous for stealing food from restaurants

England was famous for psychotic football fans, Germans were stealing bicycles from Dutch attics

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #37 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Banned!
 
Corey Feldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95,412
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

I always thought Pepe le pew was french when i was little watching the cartoons.. but he was italian = lady killers, like pepe was.

all brazilians love to samba dance.
all aussies were like crocodile dundee
all english hated us.
all germans had deep and stern voices.
all arabs had beards.
Corey Feldman is offline  
post #38 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Ace Loveforty
 
scarecrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tirana, ALBANIA
Posts: 81,810
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somalian Refugee View Post
You are famous for stealing food from restaurants

England was famous for psychotic football fans, Germans were stealing bicycles from Dutch attics
we're famous for stealing food everywhere

supermarkets are the fav place

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=378

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline  
post #39 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.like.that View Post
Isn't the Amazon the worlds biggest rainforest?

The stereotype isn't wrong after all.

And yes your government does cut down too many trees. It cuts down way more trees than Ginger's government. Your government is worse than Ginger's.

Do you know the difference between forest and jungle?

Do you have any idea of the size Brazil is? Chile is closer than the Amazon from where I live.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #40 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Registered User
 
Sparko1030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The land of sky blue waters
Posts: 10,269
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
The Finns sit in the sauna, don't talk and carry around the puukko (a local all purpose knife), drink litres of vodka every night, don't laugh and eat kalakukko.

My in-laws went camping last weekend and even had to make a sauna for that(and they were backpacking )! My mother-in-law is of all Finnish hertitage-she's never been to Finland but her father was first generation immigrant.

NICOLAS MASSU

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Sparko1030 is offline  
post #41 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 76
Posts: 2,672
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Stereotypes of Sweden:

1. It's cold here - partly true, not so much in the southern parts and of course the Gulf stream makes the country livable. No icebears of course, midnight sun (and 24h nights) in the northernmost parts.
2. All people are blond - true if you compare us to the rest of the world, but really blond people seem to be more common in Denmark
3. Swedish women are goodlooking and sluts - goodlooking very true, sluts not.
4. We are a socialist country - not true if you think socialist countries have one party systems, which we never had, democracy all the way. "The middle way" is a pretty famous, if a bit outdated system. We're turning more and more European thanks to EU entry and globalization, our present government is liberal ala US Democrats.
5. We have the highest suicide rate in the world - not true.
6. We make crappy music - well, depends on taste, but we are the third largest music exporting country after USA and UK, pretty good for a small country with 9 million people.
7. We are quiet and well-mannered and afraid of conflicts, with feelings bottled up - true.
8. We export a lot of porn - not true AFAIK. Reputation probably comes from a couple of "sexually explicit" movies in the fifties. Well they were with the standards of those days, they contained some nudity, naked breasts and such (ooh...).
9. We have crappy food - true to a certain extent, of course if you compare with Mediterranean countries it's bad, but no worse than German food and not as bad as stereotypical English food (intestines that is).
10. We drink Absolut - partly true but most people are middleclass and hence drink wine or beer, strong liqour is only for midsummer's eve, Easter and Christmas.
11. We use "Snus" (tobacco under the upper lip) - true, at least less than 20% of adults smoke.

I have found that a few stereotypes of Russian people are partly true, at least the following:

They have a strange sense of humour.
They drink a lot of vodka and loudly sing melancholic folk songs when they get drunk.
All their service workers are grumpy.
Their cars are crap.


I don't like hypocrites, but even worse are the ones who think it's OK to be an asshole as long as you are not hypocritical.
oz_boz is offline  
post #42 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,244
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

As a person who has been recently to Sweden, I should give my stupid impression:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz_boz View Post

1. It's cold here - partly true, not so much in the southern parts and of course the Gulf stream makes the country livable. No icebears of course, midnight sun (and 24h nights) in the northernmost parts.
It was quite warm and it was already October... I know that in summer there can be even 30 C degrees
Quote:
2. All people are blond - true if you compare us to the rest of the world, but really blond people seem to be more common in Denmark
Regarding the amount of Arabic heritage ones......
Quote:
3. Swedish women are goodlooking and sluts - goodlooking very true, sluts not.
Many of them are good looking indeed, but it's not difficult to find a slut. Maybe you just weren't lucky enough mate.
Quote:
4. We are a socialist country - not true if you think socialist countries have one party systems, which we never had, democracy all the way. "The middle way" is a pretty famous, if a bit outdated system. We're turning more and more European thanks to EU entry and globalization, our present government is liberal ala US Democrats.
Though I love how your legal system works with listening a lot to the child who had to be harmed by parents at any rate.
Quote:
5. We have the highest suicide rate in the world - not true.
I thought it was around Tromso in Norway
Quote:
6. We make crappy music - well, depends on taste, but we are the third largest music exporting country after USA and UK, pretty good for a small country with 9 million people.
I love rock/metal scene from Sweden including my fave band Katatonia, but face it, Britney Spears' first album is a Swedish thing
Quote:
7. We are quiet and well-mannered and afraid of conflicts, with feelings bottled up - true.
Agree
Quote:
8. We export a lot of porn - not true AFAIK. Reputation probably comes from a couple of "sexually explicit" movies in the fifties. Well they were with the standards of those days, they contained some nudity, naked breasts and such (ooh...).
I don't watch porn
Quote:
9. We have crappy food - true to a certain extent, of course if you compare with Mediterranean countries it's bad, but no worse than German food and not as bad as stereotypical English food (intestines that is).
Some of the food just doesn't have taste. Comparison to German food makes sense. But the food served in good restaurants (or in "Borg Village" at Stockholm Open) is alright. Though I was surprised with the way you eat hot-dogs Without salads, only the sausage and ketchup .
Quote:
10. We drink Absolut - partly true but most people are middleclass and hence drink wine or beer, strong liqour is only for midsummer's eve, Easter and Christmas.
Yeah, I've noticed how much wine was popular! But your national beer isn't very strong... 3%? It's like drinking a bitter juice. As for vodka, I prefer Polish
Quote:
11. We use "Snus" (tobacco under the upper lip) - true, at least less than 20% of adults smoke.
True, I've almost not seen any smoking people.

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #43 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 92
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Well I'm surprised GlennMirnyi hasn't stereotyped us yet

Good thread
hammett is offline  
post #44 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Registered User
 
sharpeirob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Harare
Posts: 2,723
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.like.that View Post
Isn't the Amazon the worlds biggest rainforest?

The stereotype isn't wrong after all.

And yes your government does cut down too many trees. It cuts down way more trees than Ginger's government. Your government is worse than Ginger's.

We do not cut down trees you moroni

R.I.P. my people. The forgotton genocide of White Zimbabweans.
sharpeirob is offline  
post #45 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Registered User
 
Bagelicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,651
                     
Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeirob View Post
Its commonly thought Zimbabweans are black.
OMG WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, EVERY SINGLE PERSON FROM AFRICA IS BLACK WITH ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS EVER. Except for those that aren't.

Yes, and all Swedish people are blond in the extreme.

All Dutch people are extremely tall, wear clogs, live in windmills, and when they see a dyke leaking, they stick their finger in it to save the town from flooding.

Canadians are polite, farm-raised, flannel wearing, beer-drinking moose hunters and they say 'Eh (ay)', 'aboot' and 'thank you kindly' a lot. The only time they don't wear flannel is when they're dressed up in their 'Mountie' uniform.

The ones in the north live in igloos, go ice-fishing, and supply polar bears with Coca-cola for their late night dancing so that the bears can offer it to the penguins as a peace offering when they come to visit.

As for ze Fwench Canaydiens, zey want a separaayte countreee so no one is giv-eeng a sheet about zem.

Emotions of a Safin fan


I smell bagels!!! Lots of them!!!
Bagelicious is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome