The struggle of a uni graduate - MensTennisForums.com

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jon Snow
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
clearwaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 24
Posts: 929
                     
The struggle of a uni graduate

I recently graduated from uni and am facing the problem of what to do and where to work.
I want to move and work somewhere away from my hometown, ideally to Europe, because I've spent some time there and found myself enjoying staying there.
The problem is being foreign it is extremely difficult to break into the profession. Plus the economy in Europe is not looking good at the moment.
I really have no desire to stay in Hong Kong and work 12 hours per day.

Any MTFers who have been through the same and could offer me some advice?

Beauty is not the goal of competitive sports, but high-level sports are a prime venue for the expression of human beauty.
clearwaters is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:09 PM
country flag MWW
It's Bigger On The Inside
 
MWW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sydney
Age: 23
Posts: 22,421
                     
Re: The struggle of a uni graduate

Come to Oz ala Slasher1985!
Actually not as easy as it appears. It's a huge financial and personal undertaking. You may wish to fish for add bit in local waters before taking to the ocean. What is your degree in and what is your intended career plan?

 
My dad did that back in 1985. He had a stable govt job in HK and for some reason decided to stake it out down under with a harder job but hoping to make it easier for the family he would raise. And here I am talking now to Honkie in my generation.

Last edited by MWW; 07-15-2016 at 10:12 PM.
MWW is online now  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
clearwaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 24
Posts: 929
                     
Re: The struggle of a uni graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWW View Post
Come to Oz ala Slasher1985!
Actually not as easy as it appears. It's a huge financial and personal undertaking. You may wish to fish for add bit in local waters before taking to the ocean. What is your degree in and what is your intended career plan?

 
My dad did that back in 1985. He had a stable govt job in HK and for some reason decided to stake it out down under with a harder job but hoping to make it easier for the family he would raise. And here I am talking now to Honkie in my generation.
I know lots of people moving away from HK back in 1997, for reason of China taking back control of hong Kong.
I'm a law graduate and am really interested in doing criminal law and human rights. I'm still figuring out my career plan i. e.whether I should get a training contract in HK or do a masters degree somewhere such as the UK to try to get a training contract there. But in the long term I wish to move and as soon as possible.

Beauty is not the goal of competitive sports, but high-level sports are a prime venue for the expression of human beauty.
clearwaters is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 04:07 PM
Registered User
 
Moonball Pusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,614
                     
Re: The struggle of a uni graduate

I think you should stay. Good luck.

Objective Tennis Fan

Federer - Isner - Sock - Fritz - Big Uncle Sam Querrey - GOATbis
Tennis embarrassments: Novack - Nadal - Ferrer - Fognini - Berdych - Raonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Thank You Rafa.... Thank You For Everything, I Owe My Entire Life To You Rafa, You Are My God You Are My God You Are My God, My Life Is Blessed Now That You Inhibit This Earth, Thanks Rafa
Moonball Pusher is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 11,152
                     
Re: The struggle of a uni graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWW View Post
Come to Oz ala Slasher1985!
Actually not as easy as it appears. It's a huge financial and personal undertaking. You may wish to fish for add bit in local waters before taking to the ocean. What is your degree in and what is your intended career plan?

 
My dad did that back in 1985. He had a stable govt job in HK and for some reason decided to stake it out down under with a harder job but hoping to make it easier for the family he would raise. And here I am talking now to Honkie in my generation.
Or come to Canada. I think OP would like Vancouver.
leng jai likes this.
Jon Snow is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
clearwaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 24
Posts: 929
                     
Re: The struggle of a uni graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
Or come to Canada. I think OP would like Vancouver.
I'm also considering Canada and Oz. Basically if I can get away anywhere will do, as long as I can have work life balance.
I'm also thinking maybe I should stay for a few years, get some job experience, before trying to move.

Beauty is not the goal of competitive sports, but high-level sports are a prime venue for the expression of human beauty.
clearwaters is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 06:13 PM
Registered User
 
BauerAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Argentina
Age: 24
Posts: 5,492
                     
Re: The struggle of a uni graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaters View Post
I'm also considering Canada and Oz. Basically if I can get away anywhere will do, as long as I can have work life balance.
I'm also thinking maybe I should stay for a few years, get some job experience, before trying to move.
I think that's better. That way you'll be in a new country already having had one or two years of experience in your home country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Fuck you. This ain't no God damn hobby, motherfucker.
BauerAlmeida is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 06:52 PM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 95,825
                     
Re: The struggle of a uni graduate

Staying isn't an option if you want to move out, you realize law is different in every country, right? Especially criminal law. I guess human rights department operates on stuff that are more general documents. But where you can do it, be an assist to government? Work in Hague/Strasbourg, UN? Sure but I suspect either option is close to working 12 hours a day.

Move out to do masters as soon as possible to feel the country you will work in and make contacts. My friend from Singapore does law phd at Cambridge I think, also to escape shitwork overload in her country.
Nathaliia is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
clearwaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 24
Posts: 929
                     
Re: The struggle of a uni graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
Staying isn't an option if you want to move out, you realize law is different in every country, right? Especially criminal law. I guess human rights department operates on stuff that are more general documents. But where you can do it, be an assist to government? Work in Hague/Strasbourg, UN? Sure but I suspect either option is close to working 12 hours a day.

[B]Move out to do masters as soon as possible to feel the country you will work in and make contacts. [B]My friend from Singapore does law phd at Cambridge I think, also to escape shitwork overload in her country.
This is exactly why I'm struggling because I see merits in both leaving and doing masters and make contacts as soon as possible, and staying to get some work experience. But there is no guarantee I can get a job overseas and it takes a lot of money to do a masters. However I think a masters degree is also beneficial if I am forced to come back to Hong Kong.
Not sure about other places but in Singapore and Hong Kong work overload is serious. What is even worse is everyone sees this as the norm.

Beauty is not the goal of competitive sports, but high-level sports are a prime venue for the expression of human beauty.
clearwaters is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:54 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,796
                     
Re: The struggle of a uni graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaters View Post
This is exactly why I'm struggling because I see merits in both leaving and doing masters and make contacts as soon as possible, and staying to get some work experience. But there is no guarantee I can get a job overseas and it takes a lot of money to do a masters. However I think a masters degree is also beneficial if I am forced to come back to Hong Kong.
Not sure about other places but in Singapore and Hong Kong work overload is serious. What is even worse is everyone sees this as the norm.
Come to USA for the Master's Degree!

Especially in California, there is much less racism towards Asians than in Europe or other places in USA.

Figure out what it is exactly you want to do and just go do it. The worst thing you can do is just tread water and do nothing

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 11:06 AM
Registered User
 
chalkdust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 45
Posts: 3,718
                     
Re: The struggle of a uni graduate

The UK is the obvious place to come and study for a Hong Kong lawyer. Huge centre for professional and legal services, good universities, historic ties with Hong Kong, many Hong Kong people (also lawyers) here etc. Obviously Brexit has clouded the outlook a bit, but Europe will always be on our doorstep.
chalkdust is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
clearwaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 24
Posts: 929
                     
Re: The struggle of a uni graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkdust View Post
The UK is the obvious place to come and study for a Hong Kong lawyer. Huge centre for professional and legal services, good universities, historic ties with Hong Kong, many Hong Kong people (also lawyers) here etc. Obviously Brexit has clouded the outlook a bit, but Europe will always be on our doorstep.
Exactly why I chose to spend a year abroad in England.
Yet it seems like it's difficult to get a job there as I heard it's hard even for British graduates to get a training contract.

Beauty is not the goal of competitive sports, but high-level sports are a prime venue for the expression of human beauty.
clearwaters is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:17 AM
Registered User
 
chalkdust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 45
Posts: 3,718
                     
Re: The struggle of a uni graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaters View Post

Exactly why I chose to spend a year abroad in England.
Yet it seems like it's difficult to get a job there as I heard it's hard even for British graduates to get a training contract.
Yes, I think you would likely have to do a Masters or something to get an opportunity to get noticed by the right people, although I don't know about the reputation of Hong Kong universities (a degree from a good one might already be enough).

Or, are there still Hong Kong offices of London firms, or strong links between firms, that could allow you to transition from HK to elsewhere within a group?
chalkdust is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome