Best European Striker? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Best European Striker?
Villa 4 6.78%
Totti 1 1.69%
Henry 24 40.68%
Trezeguet 0 0%
Klose 7 11.86%
Rooney 3 5.08%
Shevchenko 13 22.03%
Cassano 0 0%
Cassano 0 0%
Other 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 05:25 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Shevchenko

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 07:49 AM
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad gambler
Crouch
adee-gee is offline  
post #18 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:17 AM
bad gambler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee

1) He scored 3 goals against the mighty Jamaicans

2) He celebrates a goal like no other



post #19 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:19 AM
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad gambler
1) He scored 3 goals against the mighty Jamaicans

2) He celebrates a goal like no other



The Crouchbop

adee-gee is offline  
post #20 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Registered User
 
guille&tati4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 28
Posts: 15,596
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee
Pauleta do me a favour.
Pauleta should easily be there ahead of people like cassano. Pauleta has been consistently one of the top strikers in Europe for the last decade whereas cassano had one good season.

Barbora Zahlavova Strycova
guille&tati4life is offline  
post #21 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:23 AM
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille&tati4life
Pauleta should easily be there ahead of people like cassano. Pauleta has been consistently one of the top strikers in Europe for the last decade whereas cassano had one good season.
I agree, Cassano is overrated.

But Pauleta has never produced on the big stage. If he's in the top 5 or so strikers in Europe, there is something seriously going wrong. Owen would get on the list well before him.
adee-gee is offline  
post #22 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Registered User
 
guille&tati4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 28
Posts: 15,596
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee
I agree, Cassano is overrated.

But Pauleta has never produced on the big stage. If he's in the top 5 or so strikers in Europe, there is something seriously going wrong. Owen would get on the list well before him.
not on my list.

Pauleta's record. International tournaments, he first got a start in 2002 world cup and scored 3 goals in 3 games. He did disappoint at Euro 2004 BUT

1996: Signed for UD Salamanca. Pauleta struck 19 times as the Spanish club gained promotion in 1998, and 15 times in his first season in the top flight.

1998: That scoring rate earned a move to RC Deportivo La Coruña. Pauleta enjoyed a two-year spell with the Galician team, hitting 33 goals in 92 matches, including eight from 12 starts as Deportivo won their first league title in 1999/00.

2000: Pauleta transferred to FC Girondins de Bordeaux in 2000. He scored a debut hat-trick as Bordeaux crushed FC Nantes Atlantique 5-0. In total he registered 65 league goals in 98 games for Bordeaux and was twice named France's Footballer of the Year.

2003/04: Joined Paris Saint-Germain FC ahead of the season, signing a three-year contract for a reported €12m, and helped the Parisians to their first silverware in six years by scoring the only goal of the French Cup final against LB Châteauroux. Pauleta was his usual prolific self in Ligue 1, registering 18 goals in 37 games as PSG finished second.

Barbora Zahlavova Strycova
guille&tati4life is offline  
post #23 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Time for Pauleta to show up at a major event.

Best thing to come out of the Azores.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #24 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:38 AM
♥ eve ♥
 
R. Bachelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 40,868
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee
As much as I hate him, Henry by a distance.
Henry hands down
R. Bachelot is offline  
post #25 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Registered User
 
guille&tati4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 28
Posts: 15,596
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPower
Henry hands down
I think Henry has to prove himself. Obviously he is quality and should be in the options. But you have to remember that he totally flopped in Italy. Ok, they used him as a winger sometimes but still, he had chances up front and had a horrible record there. In England he has been great and in Europe this season he really stepped up but he has not yet proved consistently that he can do it in Italy (I do realise he did very well against both Inter and Juve recently) and i feel Italy has the best defences in the world.

Sheva can do it in Italy.

Barbora Zahlavova Strycova
guille&tati4life is offline  
post #26 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille&tati4life
I think Henry has to prove himself. Obviously he is quality and should be in the options. But you have to remember that he totally flopped in Italy. Ok, they used him as a winger sometimes but still, he had chances up front and had a horrible record there. In England he has been great and in Europe this season he really stepped up but he has not yet proved consistently that he can do it in Italy (I do realise he did very well against both Inter and Juve recently) and i feel Italy has the best defences in the world.

Sheva can do it in Italy.
Merci, danke, grazie, Takk, Tapadh leat that is the basics with Henry.

It is a testament to Wenger that he managed to turn Henry around from the huge flop he was in Italy and yes he has improved in Europe and even in internationals he doesn't do as well as he does with Arsenal, even though the French national team in between 1996 and 2002 were one of the best teams going around.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #27 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Registered User
 
guille&tati4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 28
Posts: 15,596
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Merci, danke, grazie, Takk, Tapadh leat that is the basics with Henry.

It is a testament to Wenger that he managed to turn Henry around from the huge flop he was in Italy and yes he has improved in Europe and even in internationals he doesn't do as well as he does with Arsenal, even though the French national team in between 1996 and 2002 were one of the best teams going around.
No need to thank me

He was France's top scorer in world cup 98 though

Barbora Zahlavova Strycova
guille&tati4life is offline  
post #28 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille&tati4life
No need to thank me

He was France's top scorer in world cup 98 though
Was he? I thought it was the magnificent Lillian Thuram who was the leading scorer.

Too bad Jean Pierre Papin wasn't around and there was a quality forward.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #29 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Registered User
 
guille&tati4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 28
Posts: 15,596
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Was he? I thought it was the magnificent Lillian Thuram who was the leading scorer.

Too bad Jean Pierre Papin wasn't around and there was a quality forward.
Thuram got 2, they were both in the semi against Croatia and are still the only 2 goals he has ever scored for France don't know how i know that but i'm pretty sure it's right.

Papin... the memories, what a defense Milan had back then

Barbora Zahlavova Strycova
guille&tati4life is offline  
post #30 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 11:08 AM
-
 
Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Posts: 24,630
                     
Re: Best European Striker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Too bad Jean Pierre Papin wasn't around and there was a quality forward.
Hell yeah, Jean-Pierre Papin was great, but he had too many serious injuries in the final stages of his career and was denied a great career end. But when I was a little Neely about 10 or more years ago, he gave me an autograph when I was with my father at a Bayern Munich practice session. From there on I loved him

Carlos --- C'MON Lleyton!!! --- Kiwi!!! --- Jürgen --- Juan

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome