Pete Rose - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Tennis Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Not on the court, obviously.
Age: 43
Posts: 8,752
                     
Pete Rose

After being banned for life from baseball Pete Rose, in his new book, finally admits to gambling on games.

Should he now be allowed into the Hall of Fame or not?
Tennis Fool is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Registered User
 
andylover_16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Viriginia
Posts: 1,980
                     
Re: Pete Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
After being banned for life from baseball Pete Rose, in his new book, finally admits to gambling on games.

Should he now be allowed into the Hall of Fame or not?

he was a great player right?..who had problems with gambling..doesnt that run along the line of seperating your personal life from your career as a player..i dont know..is it any different than if you cheated on your wife?

You Wear Your Heart On Your Sleeve

C'mon: Andy Roddick, Tim Henman..
andylover_16 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Registered User
 
MisterQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 17,115
                     
Re: Re: Pete Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylover_16
he was a great player right?..who had problems with gambling..doesnt that run along the line of seperating your personal life from your career as a player..i dont know..is it any different than if you cheated on your wife?
yes, because cheating on your wife doesn't go against the rules of your sport. whereas gambling on baseball is prohibited if you are involved in the baseball team.

I haven't made up my mind on this one (even though there has been plenty of time, lol!) His great accomplishments are still great accomplishments, even with the gambling issue taken into consideration. On the other hand, surely there should be a standard of conduct for professionals in any field...

It will be up to the people in the Hall of Fame to decide. It's as much about their standards as it is about Pete Rose.
MisterQ is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 12:15 AM
Registered User
 
andylover_16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Viriginia
Posts: 1,980
                     
Re: Re: Re: Pete Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ
yes, because cheating on your wife doesn't go against the rules of your sport. whereas gambling on baseball is prohibited if you are involved in the baseball team.

I haven't made up my mind on this one (even though there has been plenty of time, lol!) His great accomplishments are still great accomplishments, even with the gambling issue taken into consideration. On the other hand, surely there should be a standard of conduct for professionals in any field...

It will be up to the people in the Hall of Fame to decide. It's as much about their standards as it is about Pete Rose.

oh, i see...i didnt catch the part about him betting on baseball..i was understood just general betting...like gambling or something

You Wear Your Heart On Your Sleeve

C'mon: Andy Roddick, Tim Henman..
andylover_16 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 12:59 AM
country flag Leo
Registered User
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 8,472
                     
Re: Pete Rose

No, he should not be. How can anyone who sabotages the sport in that way ever become a Hall of Famer?

/ / / /
Djokovic.
\ \ \ \
Coric.
/ / / / /
Youzhny.
\ \ \ \
Del Potro.
/ / / /
Paire.
\ \ \ \
Ferrero.
Leo is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Tennis Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Not on the court, obviously.
Age: 43
Posts: 8,752
                     
Re: Pete Rose

He has the most base hits of all time, even though he bet on 500+ games, that would be like denying Pete Sampras entrance in the Tennis Hall of Fame.
Tennis Fool is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 11:41 PM
country flag Leo
Registered User
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 8,472
                     
Re: Pete Rose

Well Pete Sampras didn't bet on tennis.

/ / / /
Djokovic.
\ \ \ \
Coric.
/ / / / /
Youzhny.
\ \ \ \
Del Potro.
/ / / /
Paire.
\ \ \ \
Ferrero.
Leo is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Tennis Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Not on the court, obviously.
Age: 43
Posts: 8,752
                     
Re: Pete Rose

A certain other player, Y**ahem*, has been accused and he's a shoe in for the HOF.
Tennis Fool is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: Pete Rose

I don't know if he is a shoo in for the HOF.

Nevertheless, baseball has had a stern rule on betting and people have lost their careers over it. Not only did Pete Rose bet on baseball, he did so over a very long period, and then he lied to the public for ... what? 20 years? about it. He claimed he was framed, done wrong, a victim. There was no end to his whining. Now he admits what any sane person knew all along, and he's supposed to be rewarded for that?

Nope.......... The hall of shame is where he belongs.
star is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:34 AM
country flag Leo
Registered User
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 8,472
                     
Re: Re: Pete Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
A certain other player, Y**ahem*, has been accused and he's a shoe in for the HOF.
Accusations are meaningless without proof. In Pete Rose's case, there's not a single doubt that he committed a serious crime.

/ / / /
Djokovic.
\ \ \ \
Coric.
/ / / / /
Youzhny.
\ \ \ \
Del Potro.
/ / / /
Paire.
\ \ \ \
Ferrero.
Leo is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 04:41 AM
Registered User
 
Tingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 168
 
Re: Pete Rose

yeh i no

Good Luck

Rafael Nadal Roger Federer David Nalbandian
[MARQUEE] Hope They Win Something!!! [/MARQUEE]

Tingu is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 68
                     
Since he gambled when he was a Manager and not a player, I think he should still be allowed to enter the HOF as a player. As the all time hits leader he should be in the Hall of Fame.
Bethly is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome