IMDB ratings reliability? - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Roger the Dodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Between Roger's ears...
Posts: 7,408
                     
IMDB ratings reliability?

- Season 4 episode 9 of Game of Thrones rated 9.5
- Start out rating for Gravity -- 8.8 (current - 8.1)
- Start out rating for The Wolf of Wall Street -- 8.9 (current - 8.3)
- Start out rating for 7 Years a Slave -- 8.7 (current - 8.2)
- Start out rating for Winter Sleep (Cannes 2014 winner) -- 9.9 (current-9.7)

etc etc...

“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

― Frédéric Bastiat
[4 horsemen]
Roger the Dodger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 11,338
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Dodger View Post
- Season 4 episode 9 of Game of Thrones rated 9.5
- Start out rating for Gravity -- 8.8 (current - 8.1)
- Start out rating for The Wolf of Wall Street -- 8.9 (current - 8.3)
- Start out rating for 7 Years a Slave -- 8.7 (current - 8.2)
- Start out rating for Winter Sleep (Cannes 2014 winner) -- 9.9 (current-9.7)

etc etc...
The IMDB ratings become reliable once enough votes have been placed. The episode of Game of Thrones doesn't yet have a reliable score.
Slasher1985 is offline  
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 14,325
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

Pretty reliable I'd say. Startout ratings don't mean much though; also that Game of thrones episode has "9.5/10 from 7,156 users", which is hardly the same when some movie was rated by 300k+ users. Same goes for the Winter Sleep, which has only 2,233 votes.

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline  
post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:07 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 28
Posts: 23,654
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

Scores are always inflated in the beginning and stabilise after a few months. I have a personal rule of never watching a movie unless it has an IMDB rating of over 9.1.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo

Last edited by leng jai; 06-12-2014 at 10:08 AM.
leng jai is offline  
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered User
 
HoorayBeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 34
Posts: 1,435
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

TV show episodes on general have higher average ratings then movies because if people don't like a tv show they probably wont watch more then 1 episode. Basically that episode of Game Of Thrones with a 9.5 rating is almost all from people who watch GOT every week and would be predisposed to liking it. Any movie regardless of how high or low the vote amount totals will be from wider sample of people.
HoorayBeer is offline  
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,120
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

Given that quality of films is purely subjective, unlike success in tennis for example, the IMDB ratings are pretty much as good as you will get because the only fair way to judge films is by the average enjoyment of people who watch them. I'd rather go by IMDB than the opinions of any particular professional critic.

But as others have said, time is important for films in particular.
underspin is offline  
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Registered User
 
Lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 28
Posts: 7,453
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

They seem to be biased towards newer movies and also biased towards "guys'" movies, e.g. Action movies and comic book movies. Overall, I still think they're a pretty good yardstick on whether I will enjoy the movie or not.

After Nadal beat Monfils at Doha, before AO 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is online now  
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 11,338
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
They seem to be biased towards newer movies and also biased towards "guys'" movies, e.g. Action movies and comic book movies. Overall, I still think they're a pretty good yardstick on whether I will enjoy the movie or not.
If a movie belongs to a strict franchise, it's quite clear that most people seeing and rating it will be fans of the respective franchise. That is why action and comic book movies will generally get a higher rating. It's like the (mentioned above) TV series example. Movies for the general public with sufficient votes though will usually have the fairest score. Newer movies are usually rated by 'positive' critics at first for some reason, but I have seen the exact opposite for a few titles, in which the initial score was lower than the final score. It all depends on the vibe generated by the movie.
Slasher1985 is offline  
post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 28
Posts: 23,654
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

Tarding has a lot to do with it. When a movie as flawed as TDK can have a rating of 9 that just says it all.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Registered User
 
Lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 28
Posts: 7,453
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
If a movie belongs to a strict franchise, it's quite clear that most people seeing and rating it will be fans of the respective franchise. That is why action and comic book movies will generally get a higher rating. It's like the (mentioned above) TV series example. Movies for the general public with sufficient votes though will usually have the fairest score. Newer movies are usually rated by 'positive' critics at first for some reason, but I have seen the exact opposite for a few titles, in which the initial score was lower than the final score. It all depends on the vibe generated by the movie.
Yeah obviously there's a bit of "fanboy" voting going on. But still, it's a bit of an issue for credibility when you have Avengers at 8,2; Racing Bull at 8,3 and Taxi Driver at 8,4 .

After Nadal beat Monfils at Doha, before AO 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is online now  
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 14,325
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Tarding has a lot to do with it. When a movie as flawed as TDK can have a rating of 9 that just says it all.
Not really, there are close to 3 million titles on Imdb, whether some titles get hyped is pretty much insignificant. Even then, I bet there are plenty of people who gave TDK one star just because of the hype.

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline  
post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 28
Posts: 23,654
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Not really, there are close to 3 million titles on Imdb, whether some titles get hyped is pretty much insignificant. Even then, I bet there are plenty of people who gave TDK one star just because of the hype.
Probably far more sheep that gave it 9 or 10 just because. I'm pretty sure whatever formula they use would filter out ridiculous ratings like 1 or 2 anyway.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 11,338
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Yeah obviously there's a bit of "fanboy" voting going on. But still, it's a bit of an issue for credibility when you have Avengers at 8,2; Racing Bull at 8,3 and Taxi Driver at 8,4 .
As more people vote for Avengers, its score will continue to fall. Since it's a new movie, it is seen by more people than raging Bull and Taxi Driver. These 2 classics will have the same score, while Avengers will probably reach 8.0.
Slasher1985 is offline  
post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 13,402
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

its the publics taste, ofc is going to be questionable

that being said serious respect for all those who put the likes of Planet Earth and Blue Planet with such high scores, they are stunning stunning works of art, possibly the best visual media can get

On Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
He probably just hangs about in 2nd place protecting himself with 3 bananas whilst waiting for the person in the lead to get blue shelled.
Nadal 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmap View Post
Nadull was not injured. The reason he was moving like shit near the end of the third set is because of the depression of knowing your opponent is superior in all departments.

TigerTim is offline  
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 28
Posts: 23,654
                     
Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
its the publics taste, ofc is going to be questionable

that being said serious respect for all those who put the likes of Planet Earth and Blue Planet with such high scores, they are stunning stunning works of art, possibly the best visual media can get
Plus Attenborough's god tier narrating. Some of the shots they got were insane and once you read how much time and money they invested you automatically understand why.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome