What is an appropriate voting age? - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Voting age?
19 3 30.00%
20 0 0%
21 1 10.00%
22 0 0%
23 0 0%
24 1 10.00%
25 2 20.00%
26 0 0%
27 0 0%
28 0 0%
29 0 0%
30 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,524
                     
What is an appropriate voting age?

I would say 24 at the lowest and that's generous. Certainly not 18! Frankly, younger people are too to vote. They have abnormal hormone levels (which affect behaviour), their brains are literally underdeveloped and they lack life experience. Why should they be allowed to decide how a country should be run???? It's
Mjau! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 12,609
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

i think it should be IQ based

if you put a (wild) age limitation, don't forget the other extremity as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
Dimitrov will never win anything above 250 level.
Rome R1 Zverev def. Dimitrov -
Quote:
Originally Posted by augus View Post
I never wrote this about active player after lost match but seriously - Dimitrov should retire from tennis.
Uncle Latso is offline  
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Registered User
 
MichaelKrep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,009
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

Voting is inherently flawed in that it assumes that people are not generally morons, regardless of age.


Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete

Last edited by MichaelKrep; 04-21-2014 at 08:03 PM.
MichaelKrep is offline  
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,795
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

Age 24 or 25 probably
Moonball Pusher is offline  
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,524
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
i think it should be IQ based

if you put a (wild) age limitation, don't forget the other extremity as well..
Not a good idea. High IQ people are a bit weird and cannot relate to ordinary people. They dream up (or endorse) utopian schemes that can't work in a society where only a minority of the population think like they do and possess an IQ above 120. This is especially true for academics and 'intellectuals' who tend to be shielded from reality and live in a bubble.
Mjau! is offline  
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Registered User
 
Chris Kuerten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Age: 26
Posts: 18,512
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

Voting should be banned all together, democracy sucks. Oligarchies are the way to go in the future.

I am the Nelson Mandela of MTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
Santaro was a better version of Ferrer
Quote:
At the end of Federer's first round match at the Australian Open a fawning interviewer asked about his kids and if he had bought coach Stefan Edberg a birthday present - no, by the way, the privilege of knocking up with 'King Roger' was enough of a present apparently.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...nnis/65231157/

Sombrerero loco exposed

(Again)
Chris Kuerten is offline  
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 12,609
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Not a good idea. High IQ people are a bit weird and cannot relate to ordinary people. They dream up (or endorse) utopian schemes that can't work in a society where only a minority of the population think like they do and possess an IQ above 120. This is especially true for academics and 'intellectuals' who tend to be shielded from reality and live in a bubble.
i think you wouldn't make the cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
Dimitrov will never win anything above 250 level.
Rome R1 Zverev def. Dimitrov -
Quote:
Originally Posted by augus View Post
I never wrote this about active player after lost match but seriously - Dimitrov should retire from tennis.
Uncle Latso is offline  
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,524
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Voting should be banned all together, democracy sucks. Oligarchies are the way to go in the future.
Oligarchies are terrible. Merchants and usurers make the worst rulers.

Representative democracy seems to result in de facto oligarchy though.
Mjau! is offline  
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,524
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
i think you wouldn't make the cut
Mjau! is offline  
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Registered User
 
MichaelKrep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,009
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

Benevolent dictatorship is proven to be best. Problem is, the benevolent bit is difficult to achieve.


Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete
MichaelKrep is offline  
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Registered User
 
Chris Kuerten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Age: 26
Posts: 18,512
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Oligarchies are terrible. Merchants and usurers make the worst rulers.

Representative democracy seems to result in de facto oligarchy though.
The problem is that every form of government is terrible. I truly believe that in theory a dictatorship is the best possible system, but it has never been executed properly. Germany in the 30s was pretty damn great though, too bad they had to mess it up with hatred and war.

I am the Nelson Mandela of MTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
Santaro was a better version of Ferrer
Quote:
At the end of Federer's first round match at the Australian Open a fawning interviewer asked about his kids and if he had bought coach Stefan Edberg a birthday present - no, by the way, the privilege of knocking up with 'King Roger' was enough of a present apparently.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...nnis/65231157/

Sombrerero loco exposed

(Again)
Chris Kuerten is offline  
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,795
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

I actually wouldn't mind a constitutional monarchy.

But now thinking about this thread again, I might actually say 30. Or, just weight votes by age. Let 18 year olds vote but give them very little proportionate weight compared to a 60 year old.
Moonball Pusher is offline  
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 12,609
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonball Pusher View Post
I actually wouldn't mind a constitutional monarchy.

But now thinking about this thread again, I might actually say 30. Or, just weight votes by age. Let 18 year olds vote but give them very little proportionate weight compared to a 60 year old.
this pretty much means socialism till the end of days.

and bankruptcy in 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
Dimitrov will never win anything above 250 level.
Rome R1 Zverev def. Dimitrov -
Quote:
Originally Posted by augus View Post
I never wrote this about active player after lost match but seriously - Dimitrov should retire from tennis.
Uncle Latso is offline  
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 PM
#1
 
ProdigyEng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 23
Posts: 32,931
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

Vote uncle latso

Mark Lenders banged your girlfriend, I'm sorry to tell you that mate.
ProdigyEng is offline  
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Pablo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 22
Posts: 5,646
                     
Re: What is an appropriate voting age?

There's absolutely no sense in arguing about the right age. It's meant to be an arbitrary point, as 18/21 are ages where most people reach certain levels of maturity (whatever you want this to mean) to be trusted with the responsibility of voting. The actual problem is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKrep View Post
Voting is inherently flawed in that it assumes that people are not generally morons, regardless of age.
So you're not going to change much by moving the voting age.

Tommy Haas

Roger Federer - David Goffin - Stan Wawrinka - Jerzy Janowicz - Dominic Thiem - Lleyton Hewitt

Nieminen - L. Mayer - Delbonis - Del Potro - Berlocq - Djokovic - Tsonga - Melzer - Karlovic - Murray - Kohlschreiber

ST [Rank: #31 / Best Rank: #31] [Titles: Kuala Lumpur 14' - M1000 Shanghai 14' ] [Wins: Australian Open 15' Montpellier 15']
Pablo23 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome