Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:56 PM
.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 33,323
                     
I was in Albania and say thay is the most dangerous country in Europe ...
Also Greece is not very welcoming people ....

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App


Tennis Tipping 2016


Singles : 165 (Best 88) -
Doubles : 54 (Best 50) -

Finals CH

Singles : 4:4
Doubles : 10:9 CH (ATP 3:0)
dinkulpus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Registered User
 
Vinceremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 1,546
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
I had a similar experience in Cuba. Where are you from? Italy?
Yep, an italian nomad however haha due to parents' work I've grown up between Europe and South America, also lived for a little while in the US where my father currently resides.

My parents told me exactly the same about Cuba after I came back from Dominican Rep, of course they stayed in the purely tourist area (like i'm guessing you did too?) and not in the 'red-zone'.

Per aspera ad astra
★★★
Vinceremo is offline  
post #18 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,738
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Not really, English is not the official language of the world. But the French should be nice no matter what!
Well, the French aren't even nice when they are visiting a foreign country. By far they are the least liked nation of tourists who visit the tourist town where I live. They are rude to everyone and they refuse to tip. But, that's just a generalization. I have known some very nice French tourists who were lively and funny and others more reserved but still very nice. Not that even the nice ones bother to tip.

I dunno how welcoming tourists think we are. We try to be nice, but no doubt we are a lot nicer in April and May than we are in September and October.

I was surprised to see Yemen in BLUE.
star is offline  
post #19 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceremo View Post
Yep, an italian nomad however haha due to parents' work I've grown up between Europe and South America, also lived for a little while in the US where my father currently resides.

My parents told me exactly the same about Cuba after I came back from Dominican Rep, of course they stayed in the purely tourist area (like i'm guessing you did too?) and not in the 'red-zone'.
I asked because you only mentioned countries from SA or Central America. What about Europe? Any country that impressed you for good or bad reasons?

In Cuba I mostly stayed in the Touristy area, but I also went to Havana, all around it, and even in Varadero, I went outside the touristy area to the beaches where the locals went, etc..
arm is offline  
post #20 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 29
Posts: 12,839
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
So which countries have you actually been to, besides Bolivia, and whose ranking you disagree with.
been to: spain, chile, bolivia, argentina, south africa, lesotho, swaziland, uruguay, peru, mozambique. in my experience spain was the unfriendliest and bolivia was the friendlist (even though i'm from chile, and chileans aren't well regarded there).

as for the map, i disagree with the concept. either the countries with left leaning governments aren't friendly to tourists in general or the map in question is a load of stinking crap. i think the latter is correct.

abraxas21 is offline  
post #21 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Well, the French aren't even nice when they are visiting a foreign country. By far they are the least liked nation of tourists who visit the tourist town where I live. They are rude to everyone and they refuse to tip. But, that's just a generalization. I have known some very nice French tourists who were lively and funny and others more reserved but still very nice. Not that even the nice ones bother to tip.

I dunno how welcoming tourists think we are. We try to be nice, but no doubt we are a lot nicer in April and May than we are in September and October.

I was surprised to see Yemen in BLUE.
The French do have a bad reputation, but i don't find them as bad. In all my 3 stays in Paris, every time I needed help, I got it. Of course I would always try to start the conversation using my rusty French and then as I would feel trapped I would slowly start adding English words. And I hear outside Paris people are generally nicer.

As for Americans, it's hard to generalize because the country is so big and people from different states are so different.
arm is offline  
post #22 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Registered User
 
Vinceremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 1,546
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
I asked because you only mentioned countries from SA or Central America. What about Europe? Any country that impressed you for good or bad reasons?

In Cuba I mostly stayed in the Touristy area, but I also went to Havana, all around it, and even in Varadero, I went outside the touristy area to the beaches where the locals went, etc..
Yes, mainly because i've been to many of them but, yet again, i did mention Spain

I've never had particularly bad experiences, just very random ones in both continents so I wouldn't count them as a 'pattern' for that reason. My picks required a bit of nitpicking, so to say I highlighted Spain merely because, like I said, it was easy for me to get along with the people and I didn't had the language barrier aspect that could create further distance between tourists and locals. England and France were OK in that aspect, no problems at all.

what's your take on italian hospitality? (if you've visited)

Per aspera ad astra
★★★
Vinceremo is offline  
post #23 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Registered User
 
Vinceremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 1,546
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
As for Americans, it's hard to generalize because the country is so big and people from different states are so different.
exactly, that's why even if I have spent a considerable amount of time there, wouldn't really dare to judge or even come up with little generalizations

Per aspera ad astra
★★★
Vinceremo is offline  
post #24 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,738
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
been to: spain, chile, bolivia, argentina, south africa, lesotho, swaziland, uruguay, peru, mozambique. in my experience spain was the unfriendliest and bolivia was the friendlist (even though i'm from chile, and chileans aren't well regarded there).

as for the map, i disagree with the concept. either the countries with left leaning governments aren't friendly to tourists in general or the map in question is a load of stinking crap. i think the latter is correct.
Do you think of Russia as a left leaning country?

Also Argentina?

Also I would think of Scandinavia as left leaning and it's in blue.

But, yeah. I've never heard any complaints about Bolivia. Also, I know I'm not up on these things, but I don't think of it as left leaning.

But, I agree in general that the map is suspect because I don't know the criteria or from what source the data comes.
star is offline  
post #25 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceremo View Post
Yes, mainly because i've been to many of them but, yet again, i did mention Spain

I've never had particularly bad experiences, just very random ones in both continents so I wouldn't count them as a 'pattern' for that reason. My picks required a bit of nitpicking, so to say I highlighted Spain merely because, like I said, it was easy for me to get along with the people and I didn't had the language barrier aspect that could create further distance between tourists and locals. England and France were OK in that aspect, no problems at all.

what's your take on italian hospitality? (if you've visited)
I have been to Italy many times, but when it comes to Italy it's never enough, still want to go to so many places.

I like Italians, you guys are really fun to get to know. For tourists, I have nothing bad to point out, but I don't have a lot of good aspects either. I think Italians have gotten used to tourists and accept them as part of their normal life, therefor they don't go out of their way to help tourist and they do not make a huge effort to seem nice and helpful. But when help is required, it is provided. Do you understand what I mean?

But I do love hanging out with Italians , I really do.
arm is offline  
post #26 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,738
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
I have been to Italy many times, but when it comes to Italy it's never enough, still want to go to so many places.

I like Italians, you guys are really fun to get to know. For tourists, I have nothing bad to point out, but I don't have a lot of good aspects either. I think Italians have gotten used to tourists and accept them as part of their normal life, therefor they don't go out of their way to help tourist and they do not make a huge effort to seem nice and helpful. But when help is required, it is provided. Do you understand what I mean?

But I do love hanging out with Italians , I really do.
Italians also have a good reputation as tourists here.
star is offline  
post #27 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Do you think of Russia as a left leaning country?

Also Argentina?

Also I would think of Scandinavia as left leaning and it's in blue.

But, yeah. I've never heard any complaints about Bolivia. Also, I know I'm not up on these things, but I don't think of it as left leaning.

But, I agree in general that the map is suspect because I don't know the criteria or from what source the data comes.
They based the map on the same report I shared.

Here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...to-foreigners/ this article is a good read.
arm is offline  
post #28 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Registered User
 
Vinceremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 1,546
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
I have been to Italy many times, but when it comes to Italy it's never enough, still want to go to so many places.

I like Italians, you guys are really fun to get to know. For tourists, I have nothing bad to point out, but I don't have a lot of good aspects either. I think Italians have gotten used to tourists and accept them as part of their normal life, therefor they don't go out of their way to help tourist and they do not make a huge effort to seem nice and helpful. But when help is required, it is provided. Do you understand what I mean?

But I do love hanging out with Italians , I really do.
Absolutely, I think of us in that aspect pretty much the same and have received similar comments that we do tend to basically accept tourists (and specially the ones that actually plan to stay for a long time in the country, or to live) as 'one more'. Of course, it's not all perfect in that regard but I feel like the vibe is pretty good still fortunately!

about the last part, that's great to know if i ever go to Portugal, I believe i wouldn't have big trouble on getting by with my basic and rusty portuguese (with an accent , to add) and i guess i have that optimism because i do believe sometimes the language barrier aspect does play a bit of an important role when it comes to the impression you get from the country. It's not huge nor determining, not even close to that, but helps big time IMO.

Per aspera ad astra
★★★
Vinceremo is offline  
post #29 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceremo View Post
Absolutely, I think of us in that aspect pretty much the same and have received similar comments that we do tend to basically accept tourists (and specially the ones that actually plan to stay for a long time in the country, or to live) as 'one more'. Of course, it's not all perfect in that regard but I feel like the vibe is pretty good still fortunately!

about the last part, that's great to know if i ever go to Portugal, I believe i wouldn't have big trouble on getting by with my basic and rusty portuguese (with an accent , to add) and i guess i have that optimism because i do believe sometimes the language barrier aspect does play a bit of an important role when it comes to the impression you get from the country. It's not huge nor determining, not even close to that, but helps big time IMO.
No worries. I do truly believe my country is one of the best when it comes to welcoming tourists. I have witnessed it many times, and I also do it myself. Recently, our National Tourism Office even released a video for the Portuguese inciting both the tourism sector and the people in general to be welcoming and nice to foreign tourists. If you understand a bit of portuguese here it is:



As for the language barrier, I don't agree that it plays that big of a role. People have ways to be nice and to help each other even if they don't speak the same language.
arm is offline  
post #30 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Registered User
 
The Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hiding
Posts: 12,283
                     
Re: Most Welcoming Countries for Tourists

A lot of people are complaining about the French, both as tourists and as hosts, but I find them generally a lot of fun. The ones that come here to the UK are great, and when I go to France, they're charismatic and very helpful. What's the deal with everyone else?
The Prince is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome