THE Country Celebration Thread - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #256 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 10:57 AM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,892
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
i read it but i feel i need more info, they share so much and look the same so i wonder why no 1 country
Why not one country? Good question. No good reason really. Norway was in union with Denmark 1397-1814 and then Sweden 1814-1905. Independence was put to a vote then and passed with something like a 99% majority. Even though we're fairly alike we still prefer to be separate. Most of us, anyway. Noone up here is seriously discussing joining forces with anyone else. And small countries is the trend now, isn't it? Catalans and Basques want their own country. Many Scots do too. And the Flemish and Walloonians (the two parts of Belgium). Several others also, I'm sure.
Litotes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #257 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Registered User
 
Punky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: English Myple and proud
Posts: 33,475
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

i guess ur right

do u think small countries are better? They have more chances to Succeed and less internal tensions

Hug it out as long as it takes, people
--------------------------------------------
"People were created to be loved
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline  
post #258 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 AM
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS
 
Mae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Dark Side
Posts: 35,462
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Difference by culture? Well, we like many of the same things but there's always some variations. Also variations inside of our nations. Take for instance cross-country skiing. The Danes don't like it much, mainly because they don't have any snow. The southernmost parts of Norway and Sweden are also lukewarn, but further North where it snows more often, it is a much more established culture to always take out your skis when opportunity arises.

It's hard to think of any variations between us that does not also exist within each country. The Danes will be the most uniform nation, I guess, seeing as they're so much smaller geographically.
The Danes don't have snow

“I have a, shall we say, morbid personality.”
― Novala Takemoto, Missin' (Novel)
Mae is offline  
post #259 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Registered User
 
Punky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: English Myple and proud
Posts: 33,475
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Difference by culture? Well, we like many of the same things but there's always some variations. Also variations inside of our nations. Take for instance cross-country skiing. The Danes don't like it much, mainly because they don't have any snow. The southernmost parts of Norway and Sweden are also lukewarn, but further North where it snows more often, it is a much more established culture to always take out your skis when opportunity arises.

It's hard to think of any variations between us that does not also exist within each country. The Danes will be the most uniform nation, I guess, seeing as they're so much smaller geographically.
thats the inside info i wanted to know

Hug it out as long as it takes, people
--------------------------------------------
"People were created to be loved
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline  
post #260 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 AM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,892
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
The Danes don't have snow
Well, they have some, certainly. But not a much as us further North. That's the main reason they're not into winter sports. Good Danish skiers or skaters are quite rare. They're better at cycling and football. And badminton.
Litotes is offline  
post #261 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:24 AM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,892
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
i guess ur right

do u think small countries are better? They have more chances to Succeed and less internal tensions
Whether or not they're better I can't say. I believe it's an advantage not to have internal tension. But there are also advantages in size, particularly as a deterrent to hostile neighbours, if you have any such (I don't think you're unfamiliar with the concept, unfortunately) and as a way to ease trade between the regions.
Litotes is offline  
post #262 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Registered User
 
Punky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: English Myple and proud
Posts: 33,475
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Whether or not they're better I can't say. I believe it's an advantage not to have internal tension. But there are also advantages in size, particularly as a deterrent to hostile neighbours, if you have any such (I don't think you're unfamiliar with the concept, unfortunately) and as a way to ease trade between the regions.
lol Very familiar to me

i agree, i think smaller is better and i also think there are less wars then in the past

Hug it out as long as it takes, people
--------------------------------------------
"People were created to be loved
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline  
post #263 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,892
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
lol Very familiar to me

i agree, i think smaller is better and i also think there are less wars then in the past
Less wars are clearly a plus for smaller nations. If Spain had been under threat by a hostile France, I doubt Catalans and Basques would be so eager to go at it alone. But they aren't. The odds of France attacking Spain are so small as not to matter to them at all.
Litotes is offline  
post #264 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 04:04 PM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,892
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
No...

Thank you all for celebrating Malta and Saint Lucia.
Upcoming 3 celebrations:
December 15: Netherlands
December 16: Bahrain | Bangladesh
December 17: Bhutan
I have now switched to Bangladesh
Litotes is offline  
post #265 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 12:23 PM
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS
 
Mae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Dark Side
Posts: 35,462
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Some poster said to me "You are American, aren't you?" and I had to change my flag back! This is a very nice thread, but I feel like I'm misleading people when I change my flag.

“I have a, shall we say, morbid personality.”
― Novala Takemoto, Missin' (Novel)
Mae is offline  
post #266 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 04:42 PM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,892
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
Some poster said to me "You are American, aren't you?" and I had to change my flag back! This is a very nice thread, but I feel like I'm misleading people when I change my flag.
That was never meant to be an imposition for anyone. Good old US of A is good enough I've switched to Bahrain now, though. Slasher seems to be away for a few days and surely the Bahrainis also deserve to be recognized by at least one poster.
Litotes is offline  
post #267 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 12,874
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Well, you should appreciate being someone people like to know. I haven't got any questions as to whether I'm Norwegian or not. Slasher has been doing this more than us, I'll ask him if he get these kind of questions.
I have received such questions, and I explained why I'm doing it, there were no further questions after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
I have now switched to Bangladesh
I will be posting the info on all 3 days and celebrate the 3 countries I missed today. Sorry, I was extremely busy on Friday.
Slasher1985 is online now  
post #268 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 AM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,892
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
I have received such questions, and I explained why I'm doing it, there were no further questions after that.



I will be posting the info on all 3 days and celebrate the 3 countries I missed today. Sorry, I was extremely busy on Friday.
Thanks for answering! I guess belonging to peripheral countries like I do makes people less prone to notice.

I'm sure the Bangladeshi and Bahrainis will forgive you. For me, I've switched to one of my favourite flags - the Bhutan one. Always liked it. A little odd, by the way, this group of B-something nations in mid-december. Even the Netherlands was once the Batavian Republic. Even though nations starting with the letter B is not at all uncommon, it seems a funny coincidence.
Litotes is offline  
post #269 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS
 
Mae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Dark Side
Posts: 35,462
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Thanks for answering! I guess belonging to peripheral countries like I do makes people less prone to notice.

I'm sure the Bangladeshi and Bahrainis will forgive you. For me, I've switched to one of my favourite flags - the Bhutan one. Always liked it. A little odd, by the way, this group of B-something nations in mid-december. Even the Netherlands was once the Batavian Republic. Even though nations starting with the letter B is not at all uncommon, it seems a funny coincidence.
That really is a very beautiful flag But where is Bhutan The world map has changed since I was a young child in school!

“I have a, shall we say, morbid personality.”
― Novala Takemoto, Missin' (Novel)
Mae is offline  
post #270 of 888 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 AM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,892
                     
Re: THE Country Celebration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
That really is a very beautiful flag But where is Bhutan The world map has changed since I was a young child in school!
Bhutan is a small mountain kingdom interlocked between India and China. Like Nepal, only smaller. Lies to the east of Nepal.

And this is not one of the newer nations...they've been around for a while.
Litotes is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome