Commenting Etiquette Tips [please make it sticky] - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
tnosugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Age: 39
Posts: 1,868
                     
Commenting Etiquette Tips [please make it sticky]

taken from: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/09/1...ood-commenter/


How to Be a Good Commenter
September 18, 2012 By John Scalzi

One of the things Iím proud of here at Whatever is that the comment threads are usually actually worth reading, which is not always something you get with a site that has as many readers as this one does. Some of this is down to my moderation of the site, and my frequent malleting of trolls/idiots/assbags, but much of it is also down the generally high standard of commenter here. I do a lot less malleting than I might have to, because the people who frequent here do a fine job at being good commenters.

And I hear you say: Why, I would like to be a good commenter too! Not just here, but in other places where commenting occurs online! Well, of course you do. Youíre a fine upstanding human being, not some feculent jackass with a keyboard, an internet connection and a blistering sense of personal inferiority that is indistinguishable from common sociopathy.

So for you, I have ten questions to ask yourself before you press the ďpost commentĒ button. Yes, ten is a lot. No one said being a good commenter was easy. But the good news is that the more youíre a good commenter, the less youíll actually have to think about being one before you type. It becomes a habit, basically. So keep at it.

Here are your questions:

1. Do I actually have anything to say? Meaning, does what you post in the comments boil down to anything other than ďyes, this,Ē or ďWRONG AGAIN,Ē or even worse, ďwho caresĒ? A comment is not meant to be an upvote, downvote or a ďlike.Ē Itís meant to be an addition to, and complementary to (but not necessarily complimentary of) the original post. If your comment is not adding value, you need to ask whether you need to write it, and, alternately, why anyone should be bothered to read it. On a personal note, I find these sort of contentless comments especially irritating when the poster is expressing indifference; the sort of twit who goes out of his way to say ď::Ē in a comment is the sort I want first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

2. Is what I have to say actually on topic? What is the subject of the original post? Thatís also the subject of the comment thread, as is, to some extent, the manner in which the writer approached the subject. If youíre dropping in a comment thatís not about these things, then youíre likely working to make the comment thread suck. Likewise, if as a commenter youíre responding to a comment from someone else thatís not on topic to the original post, youíre also helping to make the comment thread suck. On a busy blog or site, there will be many opportunities to talk about many different subjects. You donít have to talk about them in the wrong place.

3. Does what I write actually stay on topic? As a corollary to point two, if you make a perfunctory wave at the subject and then immediately use it as a jumping-off point for your own particular set of hobby horses, then youíre also making the thread suck. This is a prime derailing maneuver, which I like to dub ďThe Libertarian Dismount,Ē given the frequency with which members of that political tribe employ it ó e.g., ďItís a shame that so many people are opposed to same-sex marriage, but this is just why government has no place legislating relationships between people, and why in a perfect society government steps away and blah blah blahdee blah blah.Ē If you canít write a comment that isnít ultimately a segue into topics you feel are important, ask yourself why everything has to be about you.

4. If Iím making an argument, do I actually know how to make an argument? This I believe: Most people really canít argue their way out of a paper bag. Itís not their fault; itís not as if, in the US at least, we spend a lot of time training people in rhetoric. Be that as it may, if you are making an argument in a comment, it will help if the argument youíre making is structurally sound. Itís not my job to teach you the basics of rhetoric, but I will at the very least point you in the direction of this list of logical fallacies, for you to peruse and consider. I will also say that in my experience the single most common bad argument is the assumption that oneís personal experience is universal rather than intensely personal and anecdotal. Sorry, folks: you are probably not actually the living avatar of What Everyone Believes and Knows.

5. If Iím making assertions, can what I say be backed up by actual fact? I know you believe what you believe, and thatís nice for you, but if you want me or others to believe what you believe, then Iíd like to see the data, please. Otherwise Iím just going to assume you are talking out of your ass, and I suspect most other people will make a similar assumption. The nice thing about the Internet is that facts, backed up by trustworthy sources ó complete with references and methodologies! ó are reasonably easy to find and link to. Wikipedia drives me up a wall sometimes, but the one undeniably good thing itís done is to train a generation of nerds to ask: ď[citation, please]ď. As the obvious corollary:

6. If Iím refuting an assertion made by others, can what I say be backed up by fact? Because often comment threads are filled with the sounds of refutation. However, refutation without substantiation is not refutation at all; itís just adding to the noise. Donít add to the noise. Noise is easy. Be better than mere noise.

7. Am I approaching this subject like a thoughtful human being, or like a particularly stupid fan? I originally wrote ďstupid sports fan,Ē but that was being unfair to sports fans, who are no more likely to be stupid and irrational about their favorite sports team than gadget fans are to be irrational about their favorite bit of tech or media fans their favorite series of books/shows/movies, or politics fans to be about their favorite ideology. The problem is when these sort of folks descend on a thread and get all rah-rah for their ďteam,Ē whatever that team is, and things get dreary and sad, fast. Look, everyone has their biases and inclinations and favorites, and thatís fine. This doesnít mean you wonít come across as a brainless plumper for your side when you, in fact, plump brainlessly for them in a comment. If your comment boils down to ďWOOOO GO TEAM [insert person/thing here] HELLS YEAHĒ then, again, youíre the problem with the comment thread, not anyone else.

8. Am I being an asshole to others? Yes, I know you think youíre being clever when you are being snide and sarcastic about that other commenter, or about the original poster. I would remind you what the failure mode of clever is. Also, being a complete prick to others in a comment thread is an easy tell to those others that you canít make a sufficient argument on any other ground than personal abuse. Which is not a good thing for you. Now, itís also important to note that not everyone starts off being an asshole to others ó commenters can begin responding to each other politely and then as things go on become more and more frustrated and exasperated until one or both (or more! Because comment threads arenít always or even usually one-on-one discussions) go Full Asshole. So itís worth keeping a tab on things. Two things here: One, assume good will on the part of others when talking to them; two, just because the other guy goes Full Asshole doesnít mean you have to follow his shining example.

9. Do I want to have a conversation or do I want to win the thread? Some people have to be right, and canít abide when others donít recognize their fundamental right to be right, and will thus keep making attempts to be right long after it is clear to every other person that the conversation is going nowhere and the remaining participants are simply being tiresome. When you get two or more of those people in the same thread, well, the result can be grim. Iím not saying that you are one of those people who absolutely has to be right, but, if you would, look at this. Does that cartoon resemble you? Be honest, now. If it does, then thereís a pretty good chance you have to be right, and you have to win the comment thread. Which, to be blunt, makes you a bit of a bore to have a conversation with, and means that thereís ultimately a really good chance youíll eventually end up being an asshole to someone because you canít let it go. Donít be that guy.

10. Do I know when Iím done? Iím not saying you should enter each comment thread with an exit strategy, but on the other hand, it wouldnít hurt. Itís okay not to make a lifetime commitment to a comment thread. Likewise: If youíre having a conversation in a comment thread thatís going nowhere, itís okay to admit it and get out. Letting the other dude have the last word will not mean you have Lost the Internets; really, quite the opposite, in fact. Similarly, if you find a comment thread is making you angry or sick or pissed off, walk away. If you find that the reason youíre still in a comment thread is to thump on someone else, go get some air. If the thread has stopped being fun and started to be something like work, seriously, man, what the hell are you doing? Go away. Itís a comment thread. In short, know when to say when, and if you donít know, then pick a number of responses that you are going to allow yourself in a thread (five, maybe?) and then stick to it. And finally, if you announce youíre leaving a comment thread, leave and donít come back. No one likes a bad faith flouncing.

Got it? Then comment away.

The People Who Brought You the Annual "Going Out of Business" Sale

20-something girl: So, I guess we are now officially corporate hos.
30-something man: Yeah, so now you have to learn to play tennis.
Girl passerby: What does that have to do with anything?
20-something girl: Then we can be corporate hos and tennis pros -- duh.
30-something man: We should do commercials... Why don't we work for an ad agency?!

--59th & Lex
tnosugar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 14,331
                     
Re: Commenting Etiquette Tips [please make it sticky]


ďThereís so many athletes, tennis players around the world,Ē he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, ďthey want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they donít succeed in the end. Iím fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.Ē
Time Violation is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 13,402
                     
Re: Commenting Etiquette Tips [please make it sticky]


On Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
He probably just hangs about in 2nd place protecting himself with 3 bananas whilst waiting for the person in the lead to get blue shelled.
Nadal 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmap View Post
Nadull was not injured. The reason he was moving like shit near the end of the third set is because of the depression of knowing your opponent is superior in all departments.

TigerTim is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
tnosugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Age: 39
Posts: 1,868
                     
Re: Commenting Etiquette Tips [please make it sticky]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
yeah, I guess it's hopeless.

The People Who Brought You the Annual "Going Out of Business" Sale

20-something girl: So, I guess we are now officially corporate hos.
30-something man: Yeah, so now you have to learn to play tennis.
Girl passerby: What does that have to do with anything?
20-something girl: Then we can be corporate hos and tennis pros -- duh.
30-something man: We should do commercials... Why don't we work for an ad agency?!

--59th & Lex
tnosugar is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered User
 
GSMnadal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Netherlands
Age: 23
Posts: 16,533
                     
Re: Commenting Etiquette Tips [please make it sticky]

Anyone bothered to read it already?

RAFAEL NADAL

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Registered User
 
The Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hiding
Posts: 12,283
                     
Re: Commenting Etiquette Tips [please make it sticky]

I fell asleep halfway through
The Prince is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 PM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,107
                     
Re: Commenting Etiquette Tips [please make it sticky]

11. Am I being succint?

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY

Last edited by buddyholly; 09-19-2012 at 05:55 PM.
buddyholly is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paris
Age: 26
Posts: 6,118
                     
Re: Commenting Etiquette Tips [please make it sticky]

Gagsquet is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 13,402
                     
Re: Commenting Etiquette Tips [please make it sticky]

good thread.

On Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
He probably just hangs about in 2nd place protecting himself with 3 bananas whilst waiting for the person in the lead to get blue shelled.
Nadal 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmap View Post
Nadull was not injured. The reason he was moving like shit near the end of the third set is because of the depression of knowing your opponent is superior in all departments.

TigerTim is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 11:48 PM
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS
 
Mae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Dark Side
Posts: 35,462
                     
Re: Commenting Etiquette Tips [please make it sticky]

But I don't think many posters on MTF will take the hint and try to use it

ďI have a, shall we say, morbid personality.Ē
― Novala Takemoto, Missin' (Novel)
Mae is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome