12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered User
 
Tommy_Vercetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 33
Posts: 1,564
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen View Post
Wow. Just wow.

I really can't believe I've just read this. If there was any way I could report this to authorities and get you mentally examined I would.
Explain how I am wrong? You do realize that most of the world is still not ruled by democracy? We still even have many theocracies in the 21st century.

Signature Censored

Last edited by Tommy_Vercetti; 07-23-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Tommy_Vercetti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 13,032
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
Like I said, 9,484 people is nothing compared to 313+ million. And the large percentage of that 313+ million that legally own weapons.
thats a pretty lame argument. we shouldn't we worried because 9,484 human lives aren't that many relative to the population of the country?


Last edited by abraxas21; 07-23-2012 at 10:05 PM.
abraxas21 is offline  
post #33 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Registered User
 
Tommy_Vercetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 33
Posts: 1,564
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Exactly. Strip the citizens of their right to defend themselves because say 1 in 30,000+ people die a violent death because of firearms.

Where does it stop if you have that mentality?

Signature Censored
Tommy_Vercetti is offline  
post #34 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,738
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Anyone note that the Norway shootings were at this time last year? What are the gun laws in Norway may I ask?
Never mind - look what I found http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ater-massacre/

The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.
Art Spander
cobalt60 is offline  
post #35 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 13,032
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
Exactly. Strip the citizens of their right to defend themselves because say 1 in 30,000+ people die a violent death because of firearms.

Where does it stop if you have that mentality?
the question you need to ask yourself is this: in which society are you less likely to get shot? the one where only a very tiny fraction has guns and it's very difficult to get one or the one in which a whole bunch of people have guns and have easy access to get one?

abraxas21 is offline  
post #36 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 13,032
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Anyone note that the Norway shootings were at this time last year? What are the gun laws in Norway may I ask?
Never mind - look what I found http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ater-massacre/
your point is?

abraxas21 is offline  
post #37 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Last dance, Andy
 
tangerine_dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York New Englander
Posts: 25,446
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
your point is?
The point is that gun laws doesn't deter criminals from committing violent acts but will instead disarm the peaceful majority who use their guns responsibly and are constitutionally guaranteed the right to bear arms.

You're welcome.

"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."


Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline  
post #38 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 AM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,762
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
Exactly. Strip the citizens of their right to defend themselves because say 1 in 30,000+ people die a violent death because of firearms.

Where does it stop if you have that mentality?
Have you completely missed the point that it was deaths/million citizens? Meaning that in the country with the most lax gun laws you are many times more likely to get shot than in a country with tight gun laws.

Which means: the more lax the laws the more likely you will be shot.

Or to turn your argument upside down: the more freedom you give people the right to defend themselves, the more likely they are to be shot. Makes you kinda wonder why people want the right to defend themselves - all it does is get you killed.

(I am not sure if the quoted numbers are shooting deaths, but I doubt it makes a significant difference.)

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #39 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:43 AM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,762
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
The point is that gun laws doesn't deter criminals from committing violent acts but will instead disarm the peaceful majority who use their guns responsibly and are constitutionally guaranteed the right to bear arms.

You're welcome.
I have always understood that the US constitution was talking about the right to bear arms in an organized militia and the founding fathers did not have in mind that everyone would be running around with their own concealed weapons and accountable to no-one.

Any comments on that? It does not seem to get mentioned much by the anti-gun lobby, but to me seems a crucial point.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #40 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 13,032
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
The point is that gun laws doesn't deter criminals from committing violent acts but will instead disarm the peaceful majority who use their guns responsibly and are constitutionally guaranteed the right to bear arms.

You're welcome.
some will, but i assure you the vast majority will not.

the norway case was an exception in what could be termed as an anti gun society. anders brevik went as far as to prepare his strike for several years, including the act of traveling all the way to prague just to try to get guns. he was a nutcase, albeit a highly determined one.

question is: are all criminal and nutcases as determined as brevik? they certainly are not and for that reason it is convenient to make it difficult to get access to weapons. most criminals aren't that sophisticated. several explode in passionate acts and grab whatever is at their disposal to harm others. others are more deliberate in their crimes but still i'm sure some restrictions would dissuade them. others will act still. there will always be a minority of breviks around the world. this isn't perfect but the least you can do is to try to limit the number of possible gun related deaths to the minimum

abraxas21 is offline  
post #41 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 AM
Registered User
 
tripwires's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Singapore
Age: 30
Posts: 13,526
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
If you can't understand why it's a bad thing for the government to be the only people who have weapons, then there's absolutely no point in having a discussion about gun laws.
Would that be because you can't explain it? You have to realise that not everyone comes from your country (I know, what a shocker), and in some civilised and modern societies, the idea that citizens should have the right to own guns is actually completely counter-intuitive. Only my government has weapons and it's wonderful because I don't walk down the streets wondering if I'd get caught in a shoot-out between rival gangs or some shit. Does this not make any sense to you?

Quote:
The US has always been a country where the citizens were well-armed. As opposed to the rest of the world, where not only is tyranny still the dominant form of government, but the free societies of all the modern states came after ours and in most cases, as a direct or indirect result over time.
Oh yes, absolutely. The USA is the shining beacon of the world, an example to which the rest of us plebeians should all aspire.

What is the correlation between the right to bear arms and a non-tyrannical government? Some of the most free societies in the world do not have the same lack of gun control as the US - or are you telling me that countries like the United Kingdom and Australia aren't democracies and are ruled by a tyrannical government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
Explain how I am wrong? You do realize that most of the world is still not ruled by democracy? We still even have many theocracies in the 21st century.
Which other flourishing democracy has the same lack of gun control as the United States?

If the right to own guns were that important to one's ability to defend oneself, how many of those movie-goers in Denver were actually able to defend themselves against a guns-wielding lunatic who opened fire at them indiscriminately?

Roger Federer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Fed's groundstrokes never were that good to begin with.
tripwires is offline  
post #42 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 03:46 AM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,762
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Anyone note that the Norway shootings were at this time last year? What are the gun laws in Norway may I ask?
Never mind - look what I found http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ater-massacre/
The fact is that the Norwegian guy had to plan this carefully. He was not someone who acted on impulse over something relatively trivial. In the US people can feel violent over something small, and go out and kill before they have time to calm down.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #43 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 AM
Registered User
 
tripwires's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Singapore
Age: 30
Posts: 13,526
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
The fact is that the Norwegian guy had to plan this carefully. He was not someone who acted on impulse over something relatively trivial. In the US people can feel violent over something small, and go out and kill before they have time to calm down.
Not to mention the fact that it's disingenuous to use the Norwegian case as an example of how strict gun controls do not prevent mass shootings. This was an isolated incident that took place in a country where shooting sprees are highly rare and unusual; in contrast, there have been a lot more high profile shooting cases in the United States, the most obvious ones being Columbine and Virginia Tech. I'm actually struggling to find other cases of mass shootings in Norway besides Anders Breivik; in contrast, I found this pertaining to the United States: http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us...ine/index.html

This excerpt from an editorial in the Chicago Sun-Times sums it up pretty well:

Quote:
But in Norway, this was not the latest mass shooting in a predictable string. In Norway, nobody is bracing for the next inevitable assault. In Norway, as in other European nations, when there is a mass shooting, they say this was “like America.”
(http://www.suntimes.com/opinions/138...d-america.html)

Roger Federer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Fed's groundstrokes never were that good to begin with.
tripwires is offline  
post #44 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 16,407
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
The US has always been a country where the citizens were well-armed. As opposed to the rest of the world, where not only is tyranny still the dominant form of government, but the free societies of all the modern states came after ours and in most cases, as a direct or indirect result over time.
US, the leader of the free world I agree with Li Ching Yuen, you could use some help, it's a known condition after all

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline  
post #45 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Registered User
 
Li Ching Yuen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Down Low.
Posts: 5,250
                     
Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

I'm honestly amazed that you found the composure to answer in detail to these extremely ignorant posts in here, Trip.

Props and well said, it's my point of view as well
Li Ching Yuen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome