The Hobbit trailer!! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Registered User
 
Roger the Dodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Between Roger's ears...
Posts: 8,159
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

Movie is out! Can't wait.

“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

― Frédéric Bastiat
[4 horsemen]
Roger the Dodger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered User
 
Lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 29
Posts: 7,480
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNero View Post
Not sure about this. Hobbit was written as a fairy-tale for children, while LoTR is meant for adults.
I have read "Hobbit" when I was 12 and it really sucked, I have marked this book down as a very infantile and naive story , hopefully the movie will be different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selyoink View Post
I agree with this. Except I read the Hobbit as a senior in high school. It is definitely a children's book and except for the Gollum chapter the rest of the book is crap.
Well I did read them both when I was young so . Might be the reason. Should probably try to read them again.

Hobbit hasn't gotten great reviews here, just normal 3/5. It might have been a mistake to make it in three parts. Will probably see it though, the movie will be well-made if nothing else. For me, LOTR was more impressive in the costumes and settings etc. than in storytelling.

After Nadal beat Monfils at Doha, before AO 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline  
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered User
 
Certinfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 44,876
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

Fuck reviews, I mean reviews say movies like The Hunger Games are good when in reality I know i'm speaking for quite a few people when I say it's hugely overrated shit.

Comes out tomorrow here but will have to find someone to go see it with, everyone I know isn't interested in seeing it.
Certinfy is offline  
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Kowchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 5,844
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

I literally am

SO STOKED.

If you have an issue with a report/infraction, a user, a moderator or just want to talk, PM me.

I support Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray, David Ferrer, Del Potro.

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple


* Slams Do Not Exist!
Kowchi is offline  
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
the pirate queen.
 
Pirata.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Age: 28
Posts: 13,370
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
Fuck reviews, I mean reviews say movies like The Hunger Games are good when in reality I know i'm speaking for quite a few people when I say it's hugely overrated shit.


Hunger Games books were decent but the film was garbage.

Rafael Nadal & Novak Djokovic: The Evoulution of a Handshake
federer ferrer wawrinka raonic flopez istomin mannarino pospisil
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline  
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,400
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

YES!! can't wait! I hope they show Balin


The Hobbit is a cute, neat little book, unlike LOTR which is complex, long, and full of pointless songs.
Orange Wombat is offline  
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Registered User
 
Ben.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 27
Posts: 12,897
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

Oh the songs..... I always read them in a random tune and then couldn't stop reading that way for a few pages
Ben. is offline  
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered User
 
selyoink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 5,463
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

I always just skipped over the songs.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death
i add value to mtf. mtf needs me far more than i need mtf. i have even been offered money (a small monthy salary) to hang out and chill at a couple of other forums.
selyoink is offline  
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered User
 
Sophitia36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post


Hunger Games books were decent but the film was garbage.
I disagree completely... The film was one of the best adaptations I've seen. Strictly as an adaptation, I think it's far better than the LoTR movies. Although of course the LoTR movies have had a far greater impact on me.

I agree with those who say that the LoTR books are not necessarily that great... I think the reason why they're rated so high is more because of their influence, than because they are perfect. The same could be said about the films, actually.
I read LoTR a long time ago, but I remember being really bored by some passages, especially in the first book. The 2nd and 3rd books were far better, but still some parts were far more fascinating than others (I enjoyed reading Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli's adventures in Rohan and Helm's Deep far more than I enjoyed reading Merry and Pippin with the Ents )


Regarding The Hobbit, I remember very little of the book, and I am trying hard to keep my expectations relatively low. I will have to choose between seeing it in English in 3D, and seeing it in French in 2D. I think I'll have to go for the English 3D version, but I hate 3D so that will probably lessen my enjoyment of the film.
I also try to watch as little material from the film as I can before actually seeing it... In the past, whenever I have tried to watch sneak peeks and making-of vids and multiple trailers, it has innjured my chances of truly appreciating the movie.

Anyway, in my city, they showed the LoTR film trilogy in the cinema before the Hobbit came out, and it was such a great experience to see them again after 10 years! For all their flaws, I am still crazy about these movies and they will forever have a special place in my heart.
Sophitia36 is offline  
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered User
 
EliSter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: everywhere...
Age: 27
Posts: 5,954
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

Hunger games is peace of crap together with Twilight crap. I heard Hobbit aint anything special i will watch it in 2 days tho. I hope next 2 parts will make it up. Lord of the rings is amizing book and fantastic movie. Nothing ever will come close to movie based on a book that is better then LOTR.

Quote:
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline  
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered User
 
Certinfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 44,876
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliSter View Post
Hunger games is peace of crap together with Twilight crap. I heard Hobbit aint anything special i will watch it in 2 days tho. I hope next 2 parts will make it up. Lord of the rings is amizing book and fantastic movie. Nothing ever will come close to movie based on a book that is better then LOTR.
As bad as the Twilight movies are I actually think I would rather watch one of them over The Hunger Games. Don't even know how anyone liked the movie, didn't even know it was possible to create a movie even worse and overrated than the Twilight ones but I guess they succeeded. Another one are the Harry Potter movies though, can't believe how overrated they are.

Couldn't agree more with your last statement. If anything lets be real, The Hobbit is only being deemed as 'nothing special' because The LOTR raised the bar so high for movies of this kind. I'm sure all us fans will love it so forget what everyone else says really.
Certinfy is offline  
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Humor is reason gone mad
 
kinski76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Age: 40
Posts: 922
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

'The Hobbit'. 'Star Trek'. I'd rather have Freeman and Cumberbatch return for an another season of 'Sherlock' (which is gonna happen anyway, but I hate the delay).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-happy mod
hi,

I deleted your avatar because it was extremely inappropriate and not appreciated.

R.I.P. Piip, my cheeky and fearless little ex-parrot.

kinski76 is offline  
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Registered User
 
The Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 12,409
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

Looking forward to seeing the Hobbit. It's a story close to my heart, and one that I will enjoy seeing on screen no matter the quality of the film.
The Prince is offline  
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Registered User
 
Ben.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 27
Posts: 12,897
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

Saw it today. Bit of a mixed bag. Jackson really invites the comparisons to the LotR trilogy.

Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is padded, though I didn't find it to be too much of problem for the most part. Sequences of Smaug attacking Erebon and of Radagast the wizard are worthy and interesting additions.

However, we have the invented goblin king and another particularly nasty orc, similar to the one in the Fellowship film (At least, I think these only exist in the film. It's been 11 years since I've read the novel so maybe this criticism is bullshit). Still, the problem is these antagonists are just the worst kind of cardboard villains. Just stock obstacles that bear no real significance or add any real tension.

All of the dwarves, except Thorin, lack development. So we follow this large party of mostly indistinguishable characters.

The film starts in essentially the exact same place as the LotR films, prior to Bilbo's birthday. So we have Ian Holm and Elijah Wood reprising their roles in what I assume will be bookends for the trilogy. This is the most obvious way Jackson invites the comparisons, by structuring this trilogy in the same manner. I find this strange as at first he didn't want to direct and gave the project to Guillermo del Toro because he wanted The Hobbit to stand on its own. Yet it seems he does everything he can to relate it to his previous trilogy.

The choice to end it at the "out of the frying pan, into the fire" part is pretty unsatisfying too. Being rescued by the birds ends the film on a big deus ex machina. Yes I know this happened in the novel but making it the climax of this film places more emphasis on it.

These are just some rambling thoughts I had after seeing it today. I did mostly enjoy it. I just wish instead of extended action sequences and big set pieces to fill the length out, we could have had some character building.
Ben. is offline  
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Registered User
 
Sophitia36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
                     
Re: The Hobbit trailer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
As bad as the Twilight movies are I actually think I would rather watch one of them over The Hunger Games. Don't even know how anyone liked the movie, didn't even know it was possible to create a movie even worse and overrated than the Twilight ones but I guess they succeeded. Another one are the Harry Potter movies though, can't believe how overrated they are.
I love how it's fashionable to say the Hunger Games is crap with nothing to back the statement whatsoever, just because it was a big blockbuster with way too much advertising.

I do know people who loved the movie, and they're not the kind of people who know nothing about cinema or who only go to see stupid blockbusters (nor are they the kind of people who fawn over Twilight).
The Hunger Games is very faithful to the books. Contrary to about 90% of film adaptations, I saw no decision to depart from the book that didn't make any sense (I can find plenty of examples of that in the LOTR saga and in most movie adaptations). Of course I did regret a few omissions (for instance, Foxface was a little too overlooked, I liked the character in the book) but you're bound to omit some elements or else the film will be deemed too long for lazy moviegoers. The few additions that they did make (for instance regarding Seneca Crane at the end) were rather good, I thought.
The actors are far better than actors usually are in such films. I thought they were all well cast. The costumes and sets were very well designed and very faithful to the book.
The only thing I did not really like was the shaky cam, it's just not my thing. But it does have a justification: it is how they chose to reproduce the narrative technique of the book (1st-person narrative in the present tense, extreme focalisation on Katniss's subjectivity and on the "survival" mode she's in all the time). So it absolutely makes sense and though it can be irritating to some viewers, it certainly does not make the movie "crap".


Now, as much as I love the LOTR trilogy, I would have far more complaints about the treatment of certain passages and characters. I was glad that they omitted certain parts of the book that were already boring in writing (IMO) and would probably have been even worse on film (Tom Bombadil... the Old Forest...). I understand that they have to use "compression", so I don't mind too much when they substitute one character with another in order not to multiply secondary characters (ex: Arwen instead of Glorfindel).
But in my opinion, Jackson made a lot of choices that are bad and the justifications he gave were not convincing. He had to leave a great number of good scenes out of the theatrical version, and you could argue the reason was that there was too much material to cover. That would have been a legitimate excuse, if only he had not added a number of really repetitive and unnecessary elements (all the "fake deaths" of Frodo, then Aragorn... the countless declarations of love between Frodo and Sam, which are moving at first, but quickly become irritating and even laughable). He fucked up two very interesting characters, Faramir (by turning him into a 2nd Boromir, when he's meant to be the opposite), and Grima (by turning him into some sort of wizard, when he's just a very shrewd man who can lull people into inaction and decadence by the sole power of his poisonous words). The editing is also often atrocious in the 2nd and 3rd movies (the story is already fragmented, but they make it worse by cutting very dramatic scenes in 2 or even 3 parts in a completely unnecessary fashion - Eowyn vs the King Sorcerer is prob the best example).
Now, I still respect Jackson immensely for having the balls to make the films, because no one believed he could do it at the time, and yet he did it, he provided me and certainly countless others with one of their best movie experiences ever, and he changed cinema forever, too.

I still haven't seen the Hobbit, I'm going to see it tomorrow. Unfortunately it will be in 3D, and I hate 3D, so I'm ready to be disappointed at least in that respect... But who knows?
Sophitia36 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome