US presidential election 2012 - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #256 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Registered User
 
fast_clay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ₫ṿﻁᶫỉᾔﺍᶏ
Posts: 15,727
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
The US definition of libertarianism (fiscal conservative, social liberal) would certainly fit me, but I felt let down that Paul's past is far from exemplary. I can not easily accept that he published a newsletter for 10 years that appealed to religious extremists and white supremacists and thinks it is OK now to just say the newsletter had nothing to do with any of his views.

I think it a fair conclusion that everything he says today is just calculated to appeal to a new fan base, now that his old fan base has found other candidates. Yet you are suggesting that the candidate with what appears to be the most racist record is the least racist in the field. I don't see how that follows.

EDIT: I just googled "The Story Behind Ron Paul's Racist Newsletters'' at theatlantic.com. It says just what I was trying to say above. Although it might be more forgiving than me.
sounds like someone is waiting for jesus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelvenluvJo View Post
why are you so seriously
fast_clay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #257 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,932
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
The US definition of libertarianism (fiscal conservative, social liberal) would certainly fit me, ....
I'm pretty sure that's the international definition.
Jimnik is offline  
post #258 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 PM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,543
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
I'm pretty sure that's the international definition.
wikipedia has about a gazillion variations.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #259 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

libertarianism implies some form of anarchy over here. i don't know any political figure that openly talks "libertär". only fringe groups within the fdp (the most market-oriented, liberal party) consider themselves to be libertarians. the ideas ron paul stands for are virtually extinct in germany.

back on the campaign trail:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/70887.html

Quote:
Newt Gingrich goes negative
Quote:
Later in the day, he laid out an expanded argument against Paul during an interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, going so far as to say he wasn’t sure he’d be able to vote for the Texas congressman if he was the GOP nominee against Barack Obama.
boy must paul be a pariah within his own party...
Stensland is offline  
post #260 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,932
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

No country in the world that has a libertarian party with more than 5-10% of the vote. Germany's FDP comes closer than any party in UK. Problem is students don't take up politics just to let the government sell everything. They believe in "getting involved" and "making a difference" which is pretty much left-wing mentality.

Most real libertarians are businessmen not politicians which is why it's hard to find political parties.
Jimnik is offline  
post #261 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Moderator
 
ibreak4coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 13,106
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
No country in the world that has a libertarian party with more than 5-10% of the vote. Germany's FDP comes closer than any party in UK. Problem is students don't take up politics just to let the government sell everything. They believe in "getting involved" and "making a difference" which is pretty much left-wing mentality.

Most real libertarians are businessmen not politicians which is why it's hard to find political parties.
There are PLENTY of self-proclaimed libertarian businessmen who can quote Atlas Shrugged who are libertarian only until markets turn against them. Then government suddenly has a central role to play and moral hazard goes out the window.

As for the fact no libertarian party has more than 5-10% of the total vote in any country - there's a reason for that. It may be attractive as a political philosophy, but its not a fantastic blueprint for governing a society. Nor could it ever survive in a political system so beholden to special interests - which describes pretty much any political system in the world today.
ibreak4coffee is offline  
post #262 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

i agree. most of wall street probably believed in libertarian principles, but once libertarianism would have killed off their companies, they switched over to the kind of vile, job-killing socialism they berated earlier.

from libertarian crusader to "too big to fail"-marxist within a couple of months...talk about flip-floppin'...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/70892.html

Quote:
Mitt Romney in striking distance of Iowa win
if romney even wins iowa, he's the republican nominee. the other candidates should just call it a day.
Stensland is offline  
post #263 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,932
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post
There are PLENTY of self-proclaimed libertarian businessmen who can quote Atlas Shrugged who are libertarian only until markets turn against them. Then government suddenly has a central role to play and moral hazard goes out the window.
Works both ways. Self-proclaimed union and human rights leaders are only socialist until they've earned money. Then government tax collectors can go to hell and moral hazard goes out the window.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post
As for the fact no libertarian party has more than 5-10% of the total vote in any country - there's a reason for that.
Of course there's a reason, nobody wants to vote for a party that takes away free education, healthcare, housing, dole and welfare. If you believe voters know what they're doing consider Hitler, Mugabe and Chavez came to power this way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post
It may be attractive as a political philosophy, but its not a fantastic blueprint for governing a society. Nor could it ever survive in a political system so beholden to special interests - which describes pretty much any political system in the world today.
Actually, it's the best blueprint for governing a society. There's a reason Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Switzerland and tax havens have the best living standards.
Jimnik is offline  
post #264 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,932
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
from libertarian crusader to "too big to fail"-marxist within a couple of months...talk about flip-floppin'...
Don't worry Rainy, I won't flip-flop.

Could never do that to you. Need someone to argue your opinions with.
Jimnik is offline  
post #265 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,934
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Why did you pick a perfectly reasonable ad? If you think being opposed to open borders is a ''little gem'', then give me some examples of nations that the US should try to copy in its immigration policy.
i aint in favour of open borders. for one thing, i'm not sure if the canadian authorities wouldn't have had troubling doubts after they gave you a passport...

abraxas21 is offline  
post #266 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
Don't worry Rainy, I won't flip-flop.
you're a man of conviction, i got that by now.

*edit: some comic relief:

[YOUTUBE]hOzHIbraJ0E[/YOUTUBE]

i cracked up at number 9. hilarious.
Stensland is offline  
post #267 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,934
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
libertarianism implies some form of anarchy over here. i don't know any political figure that openly talks "libertär". only fringe groups within the fdp (the most market-oriented, liberal party) consider themselves to be libertarians. the ideas ron paul stands for are virtually extinct in germany.
capitalism in its true form has never even existed. perhaps there's a case that could be made about the capitalist society in medieval iceland (famous example) or another isolated case here and here but the fact of the matter is that capitalism doesn't exist.

to some, libertarianism is just another name for capitalism given the bad rap that the latter has adquired over time. to others, libertarianism is just something different, something that actually encompasses the current system but that doesn't fit the criteria to be a synoninom (bad spelling) of capitalism

abraxas21 is offline  
post #268 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:22 PM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,543
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

Now you just sound like Jorge when he claimed true communism has never existed. "Capitalism'' is just a word we made up to describe systems of free trade and individual ownership.

What is this compulsion to say things we actually invent have never existed? It's just capitalism, we can make it what we want it to be, as the White Rabbit wisely said.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #269 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 PM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,543
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
i aint in favour of open borders. for one thing, i'm not sure if the canadian authorities wouldn't have had troubling doubts after they gave you a passport...
So you agree with the content of the ad, then.

I was British. WE told the Canadian authorities who could have passports.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #270 of 1174 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,934
                     
Re: US presidential election 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
So you agree with the content of the ad, then.
i don't. then again, tha'ts not the relevant point. what's important is that he was pandering to rednecks all over the country, which is what i said.

Quote:
I was British. WE told the Canadian authorities who could have passports.
typical brit

abraxas21 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome