What do you think about death penalty? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Death penalty: Yes or No?
Yes 23 27.38%
No 54 64.29%
Don't know 7 8.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 06:59 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Har-Tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 29
Posts: 20,524
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
One of the few things that the Catholic Church's position nails. That it should never be used when there is the required means to keep the prisoner barred from society to keep it safe. If there is not the means to keep the prisoner from society and they can still be dangerous, only then is the death penalty justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post
should have been abolished worldwide cause the only purpose it serves is retribution or revenge.
These mutually supportive statements are obviously true, since I don't think there is a single state that applies death penalty that couldn't keep the prisoner locked for life if they put some effort into it.
Har-Tru is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered User
 
GOAT = Fed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,964
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

The fact that the state can make the decision to take away the life of its own citizens slightly disturbs me. This along with a lot of other reasons make me against the death penalty. It is an utterly barbaric way to dish our revenge. Besides you can make someone just rot in jail repenting their mistakes.
GOAT = Fed is offline  
post #18 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Perhaps it is a little harsh... punished by death.

A solution would be to force those convicted to read each and every post by Clay Death on MTF. Sure, it might be considered cruel and unusual punishment by most of the population, but it is still somewhat more humane than an actual death sentence.

Death penalty 2.0
BigJohn is offline  
post #19 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Anathemaniac
 
Sunset of Age's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Wall.
Posts: 41,908
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Barbaric. Enough said.

Even more barbaric is the fact that there are only two countries in the world that have not ratified the Convention_on_the_Rights_of_the_Child, which prohibits capital punishment on youngsters.

Guess which two countries.
Somalia.... and the USA.

Be ashamed of yourselves.

"It's getting colder, I'm getting colder, older, it's getting colder...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"


"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline  
post #20 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,513
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Bring back the guillotine. Painless, quick, efficient, revolutionary terror is not only justified, it is necessary. However since the American state is criminal of course I oppose the "death penalty" within that context.
The Magician is offline  
post #21 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paris
Age: 26
Posts: 6,118
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

All the countries where the death penalty is not abolished are not respectable countries.
I would feel shameful to live in a State where death penalty is allowed.
Gagsquet is offline  
post #22 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 17,155
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post
should have been abolished worldwide cause the only purpose it serves is retribution or revenge.
I fully support retribution and revenge... only not by the state.

Death penalty is utterly wrong and should be abolished by every barely civilized nation.
JolánGagó is offline  
post #23 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 01:19 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 31
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Death Penalty is not used enough. Half the people in prisons around the world should be executed. Sadly the world is too politically correct these days and allows pedophiles, rapists and murderers "repent" for the crimes at the expense of taxpayers. Eventually they are set free among normal people to prey on more victims.

In my opinion if you commit a heinous crime like **** or murder, you forfeit your human rights and should be put down like a wild animal. It's disgusting how criminals today get a little more than a slap on the wrist for the worst crimes.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #24 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Registered User
 
Seingeist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 31
Posts: 2,987
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Completely in support of the death penalty.

To all of those who are so against the idea of a "state" having the right to exercise the death penalty: THE STATE, and the state alone, guarantees your life, "rights," and property.

In the absence of a state, the anarchic "state of nature" rules. What this means, essentially, is that you can be killed or robbed at any time, for any reason, and you have no recourse whatsoever except for what your own personal might allows.

In other words, "the state" is (among other things) a condition of possibility for your very life. We very much take for granted that people are not allowed to simply murder us and steal all of our possessions. But what prevents or deters them from doing this? THE STATE.

That's the reason, for example, that a compulsory military draft, while unfortunate, is justifiable. The state is justified in demanding your service, potentially costing your life, because it is the state that has guaranteed and made your life possible in the first place. You owe the state, however much you may dislike the idea and shirk your responsibilities as a citizen.

When a person makes himself an enemy of the state and threatens its well-being (usually by breaking one or more of its more serious laws, such as murder), the state is justified in taking the life of that individual (in much the same way that murder by self-defense is justified if someone is trying to kill you). A person's "right to life" is only guaranteed by the state, and if he forfeits his relationship to that state, he also forfeits the rights that were guaranteed thereunder.

The death penalty is not so much an act of "revenge" as it is an act of purging a state of the enemies that threaten it's well-being.

Rousseau lays all of this out far more elegantly than I ever could in The Social Contract. Highly recommended reading for all of the childishly confused subversives in these forums who haven't the foggiest idea of the political reality that envelops them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
God will spit in your face before sending you to hell.
Seingeist is offline  
post #25 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,524
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Only when the justice system has proven w/o reasonable doubt.
Shouldn't that be required for imprisonment as well?
Mjau! is offline  
post #26 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 05:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,524
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Troy Davies was a sacrifice The State demanded. Only the soul of a sinner may calm His terrible wrath.
Mjau! is offline  
post #27 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 05:29 AM
Registered User
 
Orka_n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,061
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seingeist View Post
When a person makes himself an enemy of the state and threatens its well-being (usually by breaking one or more of its more serious laws, such as murder), the state is justified in taking the life of that individual (in much the same way that murder by self-defense is justified if someone is trying to kill you). A person's "right to life" is only guaranteed by the state, and if he forfeits his relationship to that state, he also forfeits the rights that were guaranteed thereunder.

The death penalty is not so much an act of "revenge" as it is an act of purging a state of the enemies that threaten it's well-being.
Pretty words without substance. The state does not own its citizens. The state consists of its citizens. Human beings (even deranged ones) can never be compared to malfunctioning bots which can be disposed of.

As have already been said in this thread: the death penalty is an unnecessarily inhumane solution when in most cases it's possible to lock the criminal away until he dies. Really, imo no judge or jury owns the right to effectively end a person's life.

Tea of truth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
We should be appreciative of Federer though, because we will never see anything like him again. The fact he can still compete for slams ever after the erosion of his physical skills is really a greater testament to the natural talent he has than the period of time when he was dominating the tour.
Noletards in 2015 in a single post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
24 Year old Federer is nothing but a 2015 Djokovic minus 50 % of his fighting capability.
Nadaltards in early 2014 in a single post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Nadal is by far the most naturally talented player of all time and that is the reason his stay at the top is a lot longer than players like Federer etc were able to do.
Orka_n is offline  
post #28 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 05:41 AM
Registered User
 
partygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hollywood, CA
Age: 33
Posts: 14,043
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

I don't agree with it because it's the type of thing if you get it wrong once, that is 1 too many.
What government (or body of ) could you trust to not make one mistake?

Last edited by partygirl; 09-24-2011 at 09:43 AM.
partygirl is offline  
post #29 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Har-Tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 29
Posts: 20,524
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seingeist View Post
Completely in support of the death penalty.

To all of those who are so against the idea of a "state" having the right to exercise the death penalty: THE STATE, and the state alone, guarantees your life, "rights," and property.

In the absence of a state, the anarchic "state of nature" rules. What this means, essentially, is that you can be killed or robbed at any time, for any reason, and you have no recourse whatsoever except for what your own personal might allows.

In other words, "the state" is (among other things) a condition of possibility for your very life. We very much take for granted that people are not allowed to simply murder us and steal all of our possessions. But what prevents or deters them from doing this? THE STATE.

That's the reason, for example, that a compulsory military draft, while unfortunate, is justifiable. The state is justified in demanding your service, potentially costing your life, because it is the state that has guaranteed and made your life possible in the first place. You owe the state, however much you may dislike the idea and shirk your responsibilities as a citizen.

When a person makes himself an enemy of the state and threatens its well-being (usually by breaking one or more of its more serious laws, such as murder), the state is justified in taking the life of that individual (in much the same way that murder by self-defense is justified if someone is trying to kill you). A person's "right to life" is only guaranteed by the state, and if he forfeits his relationship to that state, he also forfeits the rights that were guaranteed thereunder.

The death penalty is not so much an act of "revenge" as it is an act of purging a state of the enemies that threaten it's well-being.

Rousseau lays all of this out far more elegantly than I ever could in The Social Contract. Highly recommended reading for all of the childishly confused subversives in these forums who haven't the foggiest idea of the political reality that envelops them.
You talk of the state as if it were some sort of god-like element. The state is no stand-alone thing. It is the result of a given society's wish to organise themselves and create an institution that will have the monopoly in exercising universal legislation and executing it.

Whatever principle we cause that institution to operate under is not unappealable, but subject to the principles of that society. You may say you hold the view that, since the state is obliged to safeguard a person's life, it is therefore its prerogative to take that life away under certain circumstances. You're entitled to it, but don't make it sound as if it ought to be a universal truth. It is merely one position, one that I happen to disagree with.

As I see it, it is the state's obligation to guarantee an individual's right to live at all times. Life is to me an inalienable right; to you, a legal right.
Har-Tru is offline  
post #30 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 17,155
                     
Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seingeist View Post
Completely in support of the death penalty.

To all of those who are so against the idea of a "state" having the right to exercise the death penalty: THE STATE, and the state alone, guarantees your life, "rights," and property.

In the absence of a state, the anarchic "state of nature" rules. What this means, essentially, is that you can be killed or robbed at any time, for any reason, and you have no recourse whatsoever except for what your own personal might allows.

In other words, "the state" is (among other things) a condition of possibility for your very life. We very much take for granted that people are not allowed to simply murder us and steal all of our possessions. But what prevents or deters them from doing this? THE STATE.

That's the reason, for example, that a compulsory military draft, while unfortunate, is justifiable. The state is justified in demanding your service, potentially costing your life, because it is the state that has guaranteed and made your life possible in the first place. You owe the state, however much you may dislike the idea and shirk your responsibilities as a citizen.

When a person makes himself an enemy of the state and threatens its well-being (usually by breaking one or more of its more serious laws, such as murder), the state is justified in taking the life of that individual (in much the same way that murder by self-defense is justified if someone is trying to kill you). A person's "right to life" is only guaranteed by the state, and if he forfeits his relationship to that state, he also forfeits the rights that were guaranteed thereunder.

The death penalty is not so much an act of "revenge" as it is an act of purging a state of the enemies that threaten it's well-being.

Rousseau lays all of this out far more elegantly than I ever could in The Social Contract. Highly recommended reading for all of the childishly confused subversives in these forums who haven't the foggiest idea of the political reality that envelops them.

What a huge of load of pretentious, deceiving bullshit for dummies.

Did you read The Social Contract in your perfect French? It shows...
JolánGagó is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome