Are oil companies swindlers? - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Do oil companies are swindlers?
Yes 9 69.23%
No ,not more than others companies in others fields 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paris
Age: 26
Posts: 6,118
                     
Are oil companies swindlers?

Are oil companies honest?

In 1979, Thomas Ogle invented a new carburetor system working with steam power. He succeeded to make 200 miles with 8 liter of fuel. His system had a little celebrity and a lot of oil companies afraided for their profits tried to buy Ogle's invention. Ogle refused to sell it and tried to develop his invention by himself. At last, he sold his car system to an oil company. He had confidence in this company but they said his invention didn't work.
Two years later, Ogle was killed (because he built another car with steam power).

Oil companies are money-hungry and make all their possible to maximize their profits. Intern note in mid-80 highlighted that oil companies reduced their refining capacities to create a shortage situation and increase profits.

Oil companies seem to try their best to:
prevent from technological progresses to keep a high-level profit.
reduce refining capacities to create shortage situation and keep an expensive fuel price.

To sum up, are oil companies the biggest swindlers of twentieth century?

Last edited by Gagsquet; 08-13-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Gagsquet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Registered Fed fan
 
Kat_YYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 15,454
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

yes

Roger Federer * Greatest Of All Time
Kat_YYZ is offline  
post #3 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

Big Oil is evil, much like Tobacco and Monsanto.

I am pretty sure the big wigs of all those companies are going straight to hell.
BigJohn is offline  
post #4 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:48 PM
the pirate queen.
 
Pirata.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Age: 28
Posts: 13,370
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

Yes.

Next.

Rafael Nadal & Novak Djokovic: The Evoulution of a Handshake
federer ferrer wawrinka raonic flopez istomin mannarino pospisil
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline  
post #5 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paris
Age: 26
Posts: 6,118
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

It's really disturbing if these companies had really prevent technological progresses from appearing.
They are money-hungry Ok but I wonder if green and clean energy would have been yet dominant without them.
I have difficulties to believe they prevent green/clean energy from developing: it's a crime.
Gagsquet is offline  
post #6 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Registered User
 
Chip_s_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,063
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassquet View Post
Are oil companies honest?

In 1979, Thomas Ogle invented a new carburetor system working with steam power. He succeeded to make 200 miles with 8 liter of fuel. His system had a little celebrity and a lot of oil companies afraided for their profits tried to buy Ogle's invention. Ogle refused to sell it and tried to develop his invention by himself. At last, he sold his car system to an oil company. He had confidence in this company but they said his invention didn't work.
Two years later, Ogle was killed (because he built another car with steam power).

Oil companies are money-hungry and make all their possible to maximize their profits. Intern note in mid-80 highlighted that oil companies reduced their refining capacities to create a shortage situation and increase profits.

Oil companies seem to try their best to:
prevent from technological progresses to keep a high-level profit.
reduce refining capacities to create shortage situation and keep an expensive fuel price.

To sum up, are oil companies the biggest swindlers of twentieth century?
There are a ton of large energy companies. All it takes is one to come up with a viable alternative energy source. The one that does will make an absolute killing, more than significantly offsetting their loss of profits from the decline of oil. They all know this, which is why they all invest in R&D. The technology will get there one day and a high price of oil will make this day come sooner.

Your story about the steam-powered engine is likely bogus, or at the very least the technology wasn't anywhere near profitable. If it was you can bet there would be a company out there, not necessarily big oil, that would be selling it. If a large company is aware of a superior technology relevant to their business, there is simply no reason for it not to adopt it.

Big oil does attempt to limit competition and artificially raise the price of oil. However, this mostly revolves around using political connections to increase regulations that make it difficult for competitors, almost always smaller ones, to compete on a level playing field. They also use their clout to gain access to oil fields, or to get around regulations that their (smaller) competitors are subject to. They may even push for a foreign policy that causes instability in oil-producing regions, thereby driving up the price of oil.
Chip_s_m is offline  
post #7 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip_s_m View Post
Big oil does attempt to limit competition and artificially raise the price of oil. However, this mostly revolves around using political connections to increase regulations that make it difficult for competitors, almost always smaller ones, to compete on a level playing field. They also use their clout to gain access to oil fields, or to get around regulations that their (smaller) competitors are subject to. They may even push for a foreign policy that causes instability in oil-producing regions, thereby driving up the price of oil.
They also shut down refineries in order to create false scarcity.
BigJohn is offline  
post #8 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Registered User
 
Snowwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A place that's too cold.
Posts: 23,470
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

They prevent the advancement of technology and it is very disappointing.

Peter Polansky
Nestor - Chvojka - Pospisil - Raonic - Peliwo
Snowwy is offline  
post #9 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 03:14 AM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,502
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassquet View Post
Are oil companies honest?

In 1979, Thomas Ogle invented a new carburetor system working with steam power. He succeeded to make 200 miles with 8 liter of fuel. His system had a little celebrity and a lot of oil companies afraided for their profits tried to buy Ogle's invention. Ogle refused to sell it and tried to develop his invention by himself. At last, he sold his car system to an oil company. He had confidence in this company but they said his invention didn't work.
Two years later, Ogle was killed (because he built another car with steam power).

Oil companies are money-hungry and make all their possible to maximize their profits. Intern note in mid-80 highlighted that oil companies reduced their refining capacities to create a shortage situation and increase profits.

Oil companies seem to try their best to:
prevent from technological progresses to keep a high-level profit.
reduce refining capacities to create shortage situation and keep an expensive fuel price.

To sum up, are oil companies the biggest swindlers of twentieth century?
If this reads like Urban Legend crap, that is because it is. Any sensible person reading what you have written would realise it is all unsubstantiated nonsense. Even the part about his death - from a drug and alcohol overdose.

So the question in your thread title is totally unrelated to the nonsense in your post.

But of course a lot of MTF stooges will read it and it is what they would like to be true, so they will go with it without even checking what they are approving. More conspiracy theory for the bored and aimless. And of course all his blueprints have mysteriously disappeared and his invention can no longer be built - another essential ingredient of conspiracy theories. Evidence always just gets in the way of a good hoax.

Sad that people will just swallow such nonsense off a post in MTF without question. None of them is likely to be hired by an oil company. They would probably want to explore with a divining rod to save money on drilling.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY

Last edited by buddyholly; 08-14-2011 at 03:44 AM.
buddyholly is offline  
post #10 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paris
Age: 26
Posts: 6,118
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

Well Buddyholly, just tell us the true story of Thomas Ogle and his invention so.
The 200 miles with 8 liters is not a hoax, you know.
I was perhaps biased concerning his death but circumstances are really disconcerting.

I would be pleased if you prove me that I'm wrong.

Nb: the story about ogle is just an anecdote. Don't whine because you think it's not related with the thread title.
If you want to support Big Oil companies with sensible arguments, go ahead. I'm sure, it will be interesting.

Last edited by Gagsquet; 08-14-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Gagsquet is offline  
post #11 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered Fed fan
 
Kat_YYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 15,454
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
If this reads like Urban Legend crap, that is because it is. Any sensible person reading what you have written would realise it is all unsubstantiated nonsense. Even the part about his death - from a drug and alcohol overdose.

So the question in your thread title is totally unrelated to the nonsense in your post.

But of course a lot of MTF stooges will read it and it is what they would like to be true, so they will go with it without even checking what they are approving. More conspiracy theory for the bored and aimless. And of course all his blueprints have mysteriously disappeared and his invention can no longer be built - another essential ingredient of conspiracy theories. Evidence always just gets in the way of a good hoax.

Sad that people will just swallow such nonsense off a post in MTF without question. None of them is likely to be hired by an oil company. They would probably want to explore with a divining rod to save money on drilling.
I didn't really need the story in the first post to answer the question.

Roger Federer * Greatest Of All Time
Kat_YYZ is offline  
post #12 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Registered User
 
Dmitry Verdasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,183
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

Y'all are just hating. It's okay for McDonalds to make squillions of $$$ by pumping salt through our arteries but not okay for oil companies to maximise profits? I say make as much as you can and if someone has a problem then they don't have to give you their money. Walk to work if you're so concerned about them making money. Jealous bitches are jealous

MARTiNA HiNGiS
| 10 x Australian Open Champion | 3 x Roland Garros Champion |
| 5 x Wimbledon Champion | 4 x US Open Champion | 5 x YEC Champion |





• Nadal • Philippoussis • Gasquet • Tursunov • Nalbandian • Safin • Bolelli • Tomic • Borg •
• Kournikova • Dokic • Golovin • Dementieva • Myskina • Mirza • Pliskova • Gavrilova • Rubin • Pierce •
Dmitry Verdasco is offline  
post #13 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 02:11 PM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,502
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassquet View Post
Well Buddyholly, just tell us the true story of Thomas Ogle and his invention so.
The 200 miles with 8 liters is not a hoax, you know.
I was perhaps biased concerning his death but circumstances are really disconcerting.

I would be pleased if you prove me that I'm wrong.

Nb: the story about ogle is just an anecdote. Don't whine because you think it's not related with the thread title.
If you want to support Big Oil companies with sensible arguments, go ahead. I'm sure, it will be interesting.
How do you know it was not a hoax? You are repeating the mantra of the conspiracy theorists - ''prove that I am wrong.'' You have to present some credible evidence that you are right first - oh I forgot, all the evidence you might present has now disappeared.
People can do their own internet search on Thomas Ogle - although they will have to filter out all the crankpot websites in the process.

If you want to go against big oil companies, try using some sensible arguments. When you start a thread and then say the entire first post is just an anecdote, then isn't it clear you have presented no argument at all, never mind a sensible one? I wasn't whining. I was laughing at you and pointing out that you can not expect anyone to counter your argument when you have yet to present one

PS Usually when I do a websearch, first up is the Wikipedia link. In the case of Thomas Ogle there is not even a Wikipedia entry. How can that be? Is Wikipedia really just a big oil-owned propaganda site?

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY

Last edited by buddyholly; 08-14-2011 at 02:37 PM.
buddyholly is offline  
post #14 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 02:15 PM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,502
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
Y'all are just hating. It's okay for McDonalds to make squillions of $$$ by pumping salt through our arteries but not okay for oil companies to maximise profits? I say make as much as you can and if someone has a problem then they don't have to give you their money. Walk to work if you're so concerned about them making money. Jealous bitches are jealous
We came from the ocean and salt is part of our chemistry, but that is another thread.

Do you ever wonder why nobody starts a thread complaining why movie and basketball tickets are so expensive, while all the big movie stars and basketball players live in Hollywood mansions, drink champagne and party all night in expensive clubs?
And if you go to a movie or basketball game that turns out to be an absolute dud, do you get your money back? No way. Those people just buy another private jet with what they stole from us. Somebody should do something about it.

However, when a gallon of gas costs a lot less than a gallon of water, it makes you laugh that people first fret about the price of gas. Why not go after Nestle and Perrier (those damn French thieves) instead?

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY

Last edited by buddyholly; 08-14-2011 at 02:52 PM.
buddyholly is offline  
post #15 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paris
Age: 26
Posts: 6,118
                     
Re: Are oil companies swindlers?

The test was made in the presence of journalists and a lot of articles described this test.
But yes, we could say there are no proofs but a lot of events did not happen in that case in human history.
Gagsquet is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome