What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
samjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Age: 49
Posts: 600
                     
What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

* You're not talking to a person, you're talking to a Facebook page. The individual is only the sum total of what's written by him and all his/her friends in short, misspelled, abbreviated sentence fragments.

* They don't think that information has a source or that sources come in various levels of quality. If it's written on the Internet they steadfastly conclude it is inerrant and inviolable. The proof is the link. To doubt the value of the information by questioning the source is, they conclude, an egregious and unforgivable act. It does not matter if the fact was reported by the NY Times or the Weekly World News - it's written in plain English on the Internet so it must be true.

* They don't learn to use tools to have skills. If something requires thought and effort they assume that there must be an app for it. Their tools are collecting friends on Facebook and buying cool $1.99 a click.

* The problems that they're facing were imposed on them by Investment Bankers and they fully expect their parents to solve all these problems before they retire. They're parents will continue to support them until they're well into their 30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Nole is 24, he was born in -87.
samjones is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:00 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Har-Tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 31
Posts: 20,524
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjones View Post
* You're not talking to a person, you're talking to a Facebook page. The individual is only the sum total of what's written by him and all his/her friends in short, misspelled, abbreviated sentence fragments.

* They don't think that information has a source or that sources come in various levels of quality. If it's written on the Internet they steadfastly conclude it is inerrant and inviolable. The proof is the link. To doubt the value of the information by questioning the source is, they conclude, an egregious and unforgivable act. It does not matter if the fact was reported by the NY Times or the Weekly World News - it's written in plain English on the Internet so it must be true.

* They don't learn to use tools to have skills. If something requires thought and effort they assume that there must be an app for it. Their tools are collecting friends on Facebook and buying cool $1.99 a click.

* The problems that they're facing were imposed on them by Investment Bankers and they fully expect their parents to solve all these problems before they retire. They're parents will continue to support them until they're well into their 30s
Har-Tru is offline  
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
samjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Age: 49
Posts: 600
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

That's another thing about the Entitlement Generation:

* If their Internet dictionary in any way supports their use of a word they assume that they have used it correctly and nobody dare question them or else they'll send you "a link". We'll have to suffer under this until such time as exists a Little, Brown Website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Nole is 24, he was born in -87.
samjones is offline  
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Registered User
 
Seingeist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 32
Posts: 2,989
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

Which generation thinks that American football is a more popular and worthy international sport than soccer (a.k.a. football)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
God will spit in your face before sending you to hell.
Seingeist is offline  
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Registered User
 
fast_clay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ₫ṿﻁᶫỉᾔﺍᶏ
Posts: 15,727
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

fair call samjones

but seingeist has a point... you have to drop the yanky doodle dandy shit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelvenluvJo View Post
why are you so seriously
fast_clay is offline  
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Age: 27
Posts: 43,319
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

Don't loop every 20something year old of this generation as all the same.

OP, when you were 20, I'm sure 40something were saying the same shit about you.

Maybe in 20 years I'll be saying the same about the 20somethings. Funny how things come full circle.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is offline  
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered User
 
KarlyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,264
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

KarlyM is offline  
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 10:24 PM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 16,314
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seingeist View Post
Which generation thinks that American football is a more popular and worthy international sport than soccer (a.k.a. football)?
Worthy or not, I don't know. But it is by no means an international sport.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
samjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Age: 49
Posts: 600
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Don't loop every 20something year old of this generation as all the same.

OP, when you were 20, I'm sure 40something were saying the same shit about you.
No - not really. They knew we were coming up in tougher times. We were raised with the notion that we would not do as well as our parents had. I think they admired our grit and tenacity and were pretty impressed and how useful this computer thingy that we put on their desk could be from time to time.

Which isn't to say that this Entitlement Generation has had it easy. I'm just amazed at how convinced they were that life should and would be easy. Almost like they were told that all along.

We weren't told that. Certainly I wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Nole is 24, he was born in -87.
samjones is offline  
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
samjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Age: 49
Posts: 600
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Worthy or not, I don't know. But it is by no means an international sport.
It is by some means an international sport in that it is played in different countries by people from all over North America.

People underestimate the popularity of football in Canada. I don't think that any sport anywhere in the world is as popular as hockey is in Canada, but putting that aside football is extremely popular there. On par with any other major professional sport in the US.

I think that you're right that football will never be really big in Europe. They just don't produce athletes with the same combination of strength and speed and mental toughness that we do here. Plus I'd never trust a European quarterback because the position just requires too much mental agility and grace under pressure for the Europeans. They're all about see the ball/kick the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Nole is 24, he was born in -87.
samjones is offline  
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 02:56 AM
Registered User
 
fast_clay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ₫ṿﻁᶫỉᾔﺍᶏ
Posts: 15,727
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

at least ice hockey is an internationally respected sport... them canadians know a good game when they see one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelvenluvJo View Post
why are you so seriously
fast_clay is offline  
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 03:01 AM
Registered User
 
Joolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In this twilight
Posts: 785
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjones View Post
I think that you're right that football will never be really big in Europe. They just don't produce athletes with the same combination of strength and speed and mental toughness that we do here. Plus I'd never trust a European quarterback because the position just requires too much mental agility and grace under pressure for the Europeans. They're all about see the ball/kick the ball.
Still on your little crusade, I see...
Joolz is offline  
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 03:39 AM
Faithful Txurigorri
 
Arkulari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 24,903
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjones View Post
It is by some means an international sport in that it is played in different countries by people from all over North America.

People underestimate the popularity of football in Canada. I don't think that any sport anywhere in the world is as popular as hockey is in Canada, but putting that aside football is extremely popular there. On par with any other major professional sport in the US.

I think that you're right that football will never be really big in Europe. They just don't produce athletes with the same combination of strength and speed and mental toughness that we do here. Plus I'd never trust a European quarterback because the position just requires too much mental agility and grace under pressure for the Europeans. They're all about see the ball/kick the ball.
What the...? Rugby is far tougher than American football, no big helmets and shoulder pads and shit like that, I mean if you're gonna tackle each other to death do it like a man and don't hide behind protection

Mental toughness? have you seen Spain's athletes as a norm? starting with our tennis players?

Typical American-I'm-The-Center-Of-The-World mentality, anything that you don't do well or isn't popular in your country is not worth watching

And why do you think NFL failed in Europe? American football is as non-international as it can get.

Rafael "The Matador of Spin" Nadal
Roger “The Magician of Precision” Federer
Del Potro, Ferrer, Haas, Zeballos


Arkulari is offline  
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 03:50 AM
Registered User
 
fast_clay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ₫ṿﻁᶫỉᾔﺍᶏ
Posts: 15,727
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

when gridion is accepted into the summer olympics then the world will understand...

i am sure that my lifetime will not see this happen...

but samjones can troll hard... really good one... could well be the defining 'yank prick' we all need in each of our lives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelvenluvJo View Post
why are you so seriously
fast_clay is offline  
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Registered User
 
Orka_n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 25,695
                     
Re: What you need to know about the Entitlement Generation

Samjones needs to decide whether he wants to troll his ass off or if he actually wants to get a point across (e.g. this thread).


January 8th 2017:

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
Exhorer Semiretirer is back


Tea of truth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post
It is Fabio's world and we are all just living in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
We should be appreciative of Federer though, because we will never see anything like him again. The fact he can still compete for slams ever after the erosion of his physical skills is really a greater testament to the natural talent he has than the period of time when he was dominating the tour.
Orka_n is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome