The true meaning of Valentine's Day - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,956
                     
The true meaning of Valentine's Day

I had to do it

I haven't done research as to the origins of Valentine's Day, but like most holidays, it has become commercialized. Not nearly to the extent of something like Christmas, but I think the meaning of the holiday has been either lost, or was never known to begin with

I think guys see Valentine's Day as the day where he must spend money to make his girl happy and to "stay out of the dog house" like so many commercials advertise. Not sure how women see the holiday, but I have two theories.

1. She sees it as the day where he must get her something of monetary value in exchange for the sexy time.

2. She sees it as the day where she expects something creative and romantic from the man, regardless of how much he spends on it.

I think the problem lies in the fact that men aren't sure what women want (complete shocker there, I know ) and get what they think will make them happy

I think guys have good intentions on this holiday, which the chocolate and jewelry companies take massive advantage of

How does the rest of MTF view this holiday?

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
The harder you try, the luckier you get
Johnny Groove is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:55 PM
.
 
Dini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dreamland
Age: 25
Posts: 19,148
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

I don't know the true meaning of it but all I know is that I got a single rose and a box of Lindt from my sister-in-law. It was quite touching actually and surprising to say the least.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won."
Dini is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,956
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

Nadine

Lindt is the Federer chocolate, no?

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
The harder you try, the luckier you get
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Registered User
 
Voo de Mar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: somewhere between Fire and Water
Posts: 20,204
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

Generally I don't care about all holidays (excluding birthday) but it's always nice when a person shows the other signs of love/friendship etc. so VD is an additional occasion to do it.

stroke <- point <- game <- set <- MATCH -> round -> tournament -> season -> career
My favorite stats
Longest matches
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Occasional Visitor
 
*Ljubica*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 52,208
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day - hmmmm - have to say I hate it Jonathan. Way too commercialised for my taste, even though I know it is way less commercial here in Europe than it is in The States.

For me - the concept of my man feeling coerced into stopping off on the way home from work to buy me a box of chocolates, and an overpriced bunch of forced red roses just to show me that he loves me, isn't something I feel comfortable with at all. And sharing a restaurant with loads of other couples paying double price for a "romantic" meal for two doesn't appeal either.

The idea of a day to celebrate love and romance is nice of course, but if you truly love someone, then you should show them all the time, not just one day a year because society expects it Personally, I would far rather my partner bought me a bunch of flowers on some random day for no particular reason, or got me a present one day just because he saw something in a shop in his lunch-hour and thought I'd like it, - rather than doing it just because it's February 14th

Love shuold be natural and not forced in my opinion - so a casual, spur of the moment gesture of affection, like bringing me breakfast in bed when he knows I'm tired from a bad week at work, or booking a surprise weekend away in the middle of November or something, means far more to me than Valentine's Day. I really don't care for it at all

Just my views anyway

AJDE SRBIJA


Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:25 PM
.
 
Dini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dreamland
Age: 25
Posts: 19,148
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Blaze View Post
Nadine

Lindt is the Federer chocolate, no?
Yeah, that chocolate. Come to think of it though, I think she gave me the rose and the choc because I'm babysitting her children today whilst she's out with my brother.

For them (my brother and sis in law who've been married for 7 years) Valentine's day means a lot. It's a day they spend alone away from distractions (i.e. their children and work); they don't do anything major or spend much money - and I like to believe that's the way it should be. They treat it like another Wedding anniversary day.

So in that sense maybe Valentine's day is important. But I don't believe you should need a certain day to remind someone you love him/her.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won."
Dini is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Registered User
 
icedevil0289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,548
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ljubica* View Post
Valentine's Day - hmmmm - have to say I hate it Jonathan. Way too commercialised for my taste, even though I know it is way less commercial here in Europe than it is in The States.

For me - the concept of my man feeling coerced into stopping off on the way home from work to buy me a box of chocolates, and an overpriced bunch of forced red roses just to show me that he loves me, isn't something I feel comfortable with at all. And sharing a restaurant with loads of other couples paying double price for a "romantic" meal for two doesn't appeal either.

The idea of a day to celebrate love and romance is nice of course, but if you truly love someone, then you should show them all the time, not just one day a year because society expects it Personally, I would far rather my partner bought me a bunch of flowers on some random day for no particular reason, or got me a present one day just because he saw something in a shop in his lunch-hour and thought I'd like it, - rather than doing it just because it's February 14th

Love shuold be natural and not forced in my opinion - so a casual, spur of the moment gesture of affection, like bringing me breakfast in bed when he knows I'm tired from a bad week at work, or booking a surprise weekend away in the middle of November or something, means far more to me than Valentine's Day. I really don't care for it at all

Just my views anyway
exactly. Like you said if if a man really loves a woman, he should show it every day, and of course vice versa, not just because some holiday forces him to.

as far as how I few valentine's day, to me it's just another day, or the day before my birthday
icedevil0289 is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Registered User
 
icedevil0289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,548
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infini. View Post
I don't know the true meaning of it but all I know is that I got a single rose and a box of Lindt from my sister-in-law. It was quite touching actually and surprising to say the least.
that's sweet. Care to share. I love me some lindt chocolate
icedevil0289 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,411
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

surprising (and not necessarily expensive) presents and creativity during the year without a concrete occasion kick Valentine's arse
Ivanatis is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:00 PM
country flag JMG
Registered User
 
JMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 24,871
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

I don't really like the taste of Lindt chocolate. No way it should be as expensive as it is. I always have the feeling that consumers mainly buy Lindt chocolate as present for other people and that the high price makes it look like a worthy present. I don't think they buy it because of the good taste. Imo it's a joke that people who buy Lindt as presents for other people see the high price as something positive. Of course I don't support this and have never bought Lindt myself.

Of course the arrogant Federer supports this shit.
JMG is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:05 PM
.
 
Dini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dreamland
Age: 25
Posts: 19,148
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

Yes heavily overpriced but I'm not complaining about it's taste.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won."
Dini is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Registered User
 
Sophocles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 42
Posts: 8,991
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

I hate Valentine's Day with a passion. If I'm in a serious relationship, it invariably involves going to a restaurant I normally like serving an abnormally shit menu for double the normal price; & if I'm not, I get annoyed at not getting a sackload of cards from my hordes of secret admirers.

"There is no such thing as 'the world'." - Enoch Powell.
Sophocles is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Registered User
 
Kolya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 11,324
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

Going to watch that Valentine's Day movie

Robin Bo Carl Söderling
Kolya is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:49 AM
Registered User
 
KarlyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,258
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

I didn't even realize Sunday was Valentine's Day!

BTW, I totally agree with *Ljubica*'s post.
KarlyM is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:36 AM
country flag Fee
Registered User
 
Fee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northern California.
Posts: 17,866
                     
Re: The true meaning of Valentine's Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Blaze View Post
I had to do it

I haven't done research as to the origins of Valentine's Day, but like most holidays, it has become commercialized. Not nearly to the extent of something like Christmas, but I think the meaning of the holiday has been either lost, or was never known to begin with

I think guys see Valentine's Day as the day where he must spend money to make his girl happy and to "stay out of the dog house" like so many commercials advertise. Not sure how women see the holiday, but I have two theories.

1. She sees it as the day where he must get her something of monetary value in exchange for the sexy time.

2. She sees it as the day where she expects something creative and romantic from the man, regardless of how much he spends on it.

I think the problem lies in the fact that men aren't sure what women want (complete shocker there, I know ) and get what they think will make them happy

I think guys have good intentions on this holiday, which the chocolate and jewelry companies take massive advantage of

How does the rest of MTF view this holiday?

I have never celebrated Valentine's Day with my husband and never will. We don't need to, we have plenty of our own special days to celebrate and neither one of us needs a greeting card holiday to say I love you, or to believe it. The only good thing about Valentine's Day is the half priced chocolate the day after.

For all of my women sisterhood that might ever read this: if you are one of those women that gets insecure and demanding around Valentine's Day, please get over it. That type of behavior is giving our gender a bad image and we have enough to overcome.

Best twitter posts of the epic match:

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.



Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome