Congratulations to Genci for the win, and Voo for making the final
So the main function of the contest has been fulfilled - to pass away the moments of boredom in the off-season, and it's mainly just been seen as a bit of fun. We've highlighted some of the more amusing moments in the contest, including 'online backstabbings', which added to the drama, plus there are a few awards to be given out to select members
Thanks to everyone for taking part and voting, and to SloKid, Peta Pan and Denaon for assisting with the running of the contest. Have a great holiday
* The Mr. Disney award for management goes to Nathaliia
* The Mae award for unwavering commitment to vCash goes to LinkMage
* The Jogy award for reasoning behind votes goes to its.like.that.
* The kostas kastoria appreciation award for discovery of the innucent goes to Troickitard.
* The JolanGago award for most vocal and persistent critic goes to Scotso
* The CmonAussie award for a failed leaving declaration goes to the biscuit.
* The hitchhiker award for funniest edited image goes to Bachelor Dandy.
* The FiBeR award for an unrelenting campaign goes to Pfloyd.
* The Jaap award for fixed match of the tournament goes to the R4 clash: scarecrows vs. TMJordan.
* The Rafa=Fed Killa reverse psychology award for underrating her chances before every round goes to Betty.
* The HeretiC 'let me out of the draw' award goes to Kitty de Sade.
* The Drama Llama award is shared between the Attention Seekers
and the Nadal chat thread.
* The Bilbo 'never in doubt' award goes to the winner, scarecrows.
* The GlennMirnyi 'bah humbug, contest' award goes to Bad Gambler
(for thinking he'd lost to Pfloyd when he'd actually made the semis).
Top 5 failures of the contest
5) Nathaliia and Naranoc found themselves debating how to finish the first round as quickly as possible - four days after the main thread had been opened. Matters were not helped when PMK is Innocent decided to step in and offer some of his experience as ACC director, suggesting that all quarters should be played at once. Naranoc approved, leading Nathaliia to remind her that PMK was not actually part of the committee. Meanwhile, JolanGago cattily pointed out that the number of allowed postal votes had gone from zero to five to ten in a matter of minutes, while Scotso decided to helpfully remind everyone that 'There are more than ten hours in a day', in a bid to allow every active member of MTF to vote. The contest was not off to a good start.
4) The penalty shootouts often ended up in complete chaos (to the embarassment of the organisers). A false start - 3 minutes before the end of the match - was annouced for the penalties between Stupid Dream and Mister Q, leading to an early influx of votes which then had to be cancelled. Disapproving comments from bystanders followed, with SloKid claiming that "Jenni is ruining the competition". jayjay later hinted that the penalties may have been fixed (in light of his own loss to Nikki). "It's almost as if everyone was "in position" LinkMage starting a match result thread-like, to bullet those penalties past my keeper." he said, exhibiting a rare glimpse of online emotion.
3) The contest became an official failure when SloKid, a respected MTF administrator, was unable to stick to his duties and unlock the QF thread in time. It remained inaccessible for half an hour after the round was supposed to begin, which meant that, once again, PMK decided to take matters into his own hands and open up another thread. SloKid soon arrived on the scene and apologised for his forgetfulness, before casually merging both together into one, locked thread (just as he was on his way out).
2) After the first round, both organisers struggled when attempting to sort out the later parts of the draw. In one instance, Voo de Mar pointed out that NYCTennisFan had replaced Fonsie's rightful place in the draw. It was a complete coincidence that later on in the evening, Truc was in the draw in place of Voo de Mar - and unfortunately, the matches had then started. There were more hysterics in the thread, and an announcement was made for voters to go back and review one of their picks. These mistakes proved to be fatal later on, as one poster voted against Naranoc in the QF, claiming that a penalty point was needed for the "messy organisation".
1) The making (and rigging) of the draw. The utter inexperience of the organisers meant that the draw ceremony lasted for six hours. Nathaliia revealed in one of the many PMs that were exchanged that "The only thing I know about seeds is that 1 is on top and 2 in the bottom", and Naranoc was responsible for placing Manon and Betty twice in the draw and leaving out a number of posters, notably ryan23 and marr. Matches that were supposed to take place, such as Xristos vs. its.like.that, never got round to happening, and complaints are still coming in from friends who wanted to play against lesser-known opponents.
The top 10 backstabbings of the contest.
Action Jackson constantly voting against tennizen. She called it unfair, and he replied she had her chat for help. She lost to Henry Chinaski and no thread helped her.
Gustavo_M Fan had an easy match against music lover Cornholio, but still called scarecrows and Denaon (the one who nominated Cornholio) traitors and demanded explanations.
Corey Feldman for voting Nathaliia over fellow Scottish and thread mate adee-gee. Probably the most unexpected vote of Round of 16.
Jolan Gago for voting FiBeR instead of ExcaliburII in the "saint battle of Argies" despite previously promising otherwise, to which Excalibur replied with a bad rep "for changing your vote"
virex for voting Nathaliia over Troickitard in a close match. Virex has known and chatted with Troickitard for a longer time, while he barely knows Nathaliia. Troickitard said she didn't care, but she spoke about it in two threads instead of ignoring the issue.
Ljubica voted for Merton in the 2nd round over Corey Feldman and stated the following as her reason:
"Sensible, mature, intelligent and knowledgable poster and doesn't throw tantrums if people don't vote for him. CF will win anyway."
Corey Feldman considered it as a massive stab, just like Nina's abstaining from voting for him. When Nina was to face tennizen next, Corey asked for votes for tennizen. He himself kept backstabbing scarecrows, one of the very few people who chatted to him on tennisforum.com while he was "under arrest" (banned on MTF).
P.Antonius betrayed by his several friends for v-cash against Pfloyd. After he miserably lost against the temptations of virtual money, he made a "black list" in his signature, which included for the longest Snoo Foo, Scarecrows and Scoobs.
Clydey lost a match to Snoo Foo thanks to the vote of finishingmove, his good friend and a fellow from Attention Seekers, with whom he goes together to ramble in the Nadal chat thread. Finishingmove was accused of wearing lipgloss after this match by many posters.
Nathaliia for casting a "pity vote" to TMJordan against her real life and long time darling, scarecrows. This is how scarecrows reacted
and thanks to Nathi, Jordan is back in the lead
also upset with Gustavo_M Fan:
 Nathaliia vs. the biscuit
- some of own medicine
your vote gave win to TMJordan, nai
i voted you against him
you are baser.period
TMJordan initially won his match by one vote, a Nathaliia's vote. Later mods discovered multiple accounts of one member who among other posters voted for TMJordan, and scarecrows won. People said Nathaliia would find the way to push her darling into the next round anyway, and TMJordan kept voting against her till the semifinal, where she lost to the joy of many MTF'ers.
Don Vito de Corleone "Family First" award goes to Gulzhan for the following rant.
adee-gee -- family comes first, Adam
ouf, I paid Adam all my debts
That is HUGE typo!
Please change it to Nathaliia!
got all nervous about serious match baby-daughter is going through
I am very sorry and I hope you understand, please!
Changing votes is against the rules
But it's not a change of vote. You can see that from my comment! I said "family" and Adam is not my family... yet
Comon, it's typo! What mother would vote against her child?
Maybe only Kournikova
not allowed, epic thing Gulzhan, better than my yesterday vote against Genci because then I really wanted it, and here you didn't.
writing adee-gee instead of Nathaliia is indeed a huge typo
I demand appeallation! Who do I submit my petition to?
At the same time in Attention Seekers thread:
I know Gulzhan, but when in doubt, it's against a tournament organizer. I can't babble about fair play for 10 days and when it comes to what, change a vote in my favour. I can't.
I had to vote against George
and against Adam
Downside of liking too many people
Genci, you made a great come-back, congrats!
yep. i am an idiot
Nathii, baby, i just came home from work and was still hungry when i made the post!
please, change the stats, i am begging! i hope it's permitted, no?