Is America a Nation in Decline? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

i know china's record is bad, that's not the point. but america's record isn't the best either. do i really need to name you every single state in latin america they gatecrashed during the cold war, letting brutal dictators like pinochet prosper everywhere?

i'd sure love you to name any invasions china has ever executed.
Stensland is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:06 AM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,932
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
i know china's record is bad, that's not the point. but america's record isn't the best either. do i really need to name you every single state in latin america they gatecrashed during the cold war, letting brutal dictators like pinochet prosper everywhere?

i'd sure love you to name any invasions china has ever executed.
USA never invaded any Latin countries. Tibet was what I would call an invasion.

I don't see anything in South America's history that compares to China. Do you know about Mao Zedong? Pinochet was a saint compared to him. In a century that had the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini and Franco in power, Mao was the worst.
Jimnik is offline  
post #33 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,115
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

I never studied business, but as far as I know what is happening to the USA and to a lot of states in Europe seems to be a normal thing considering capitalism.

If the economy of a country is rising the life circumstances also rise to a certain extend. People get out of pure poverty and don´t have to fear what to eat the next day. A health care system is developed and tax payers pay their taxes so that all civil service can be maintained.
People are satisfied with their lives and as long as the wages are getttig better they live without fear.

But at a certain point of time, the people don´t benefit that much anymore from higher wages, as the money itself loses its value (inflation). A lot of people tend to spend less money, so that less goods are sold. This has an effect on the producer of the goods. He may have to pay less money to his wokers or he may even have to send some of them home. Those people neeed money from the state and this state will have to lend money from banks, as there is less income through taxes.

Of course I know that unemployment, or the fear of inflation is a big threat to everyone and has a very serious influence on the life of a individual, but I guess that it is something every good economy has to face when developing economies are all of a sudden their counterparts.

I wnet to India last year and I saw real poverty at a lot of places. The health system is not working good and a lot of children don´t have access to education. If countries like India or China wants to survive they have to develop in health care and education, otherwise they might face serious intenal problems (up to a civil war).

The western econmies including the USA may fear the rising strength of those states but on the other hand those states have to spend far more money on education and health than they do today. The rights of workers in these states will get beter and they will be payed better. The advantage of low wages in these countries will not last very long and afterwards they are just normal counterparts in the economy.
Boarder35m is offline  
post #34 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
USA never invaded any Latin countries. Tibet was what I would call an invasion.
i didn't say they invaded latin america. they didn't kill anyone down there, they let kill.

when it comes to invasions or actual aggression (in contrast to defensive measures), i'm thinking of vietnam, iraq, panama, korea, indonesia, lebanon, libya, cuba and so on.

tibet has been chinese for ages. it's not like they marched in last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnik
I don't see anything in South America's history that compares to China. Do you know about Mao Zedong? Pinochet was a saint compared to him. In a century that had the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini and Franco in power, Mao was the worst.
same here, which is why china's record is worse than america's. where's your problem, jimmy?
Stensland is offline  
post #35 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,932
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
i didn't say they invaded latin america. they didn't kill anyone down there, they let kill.

when it comes to invasions or actual aggression (in contrast to defensive measures), i'm thinking of vietnam, iraq, panama, korea, indonesia, lebanon, libya, cuba and so on.
Vietnam and Korea were being attacked by the Chinese. USA was aiding the south in both cases, not invading. In fact none of these countries were invaded. Either America withdrew or they allowed self-determination. Also notice how the regimes in Cuba and Libya have worked out. They probably would have been better off if America had successfully invaded. Iraq was the biggest mistake but that was also under harsh regime.

I don't know about Indonesia. What happened there?

Quote:
same here, which is why china's record is worse than america's. where's your problem, jimmy?
It's much MUCH worse than America's. The fact that you were even comparing is what scares me.
Jimnik is offline  
post #36 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Global Warming = fallacy.

Just to take this weight off my back.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #37 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,115
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
It's much MUCH worse than America's. The fact that you were even comparing is what scares me.
I have to agree to that. However bad a democracy is, it is allways better than a dictatorship and that is what China is.

That doesn´t mean that al chinese are evil (not at all) but you can not say what the majority of chinese think about certain military action. In the USA there is a public discussion about this. This is not allowed in China.
Boarder35m is offline  
post #38 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarder35m View Post
I have to agree to that. However bad a democracy is, it is allways better than a dictatorship and that is what China is.

That doesn´t mean that al chinese are evil (not at all) but you can not say what the majority of chinese think about certain military action. In the USA there is a public discussion about this. This is not allowed in China.
like when the US invaded Iraq the last time?
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #39 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:30 AM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,932
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
like when the US invaded Iraq the last time?
Of course there was.

Contrary to popular belief, Bush wasn't the only one in favour of the war.
Jimnik is offline  
post #40 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
Of course there was.

Contrary to popular belief, Bush wasn't the only one in favour of the war.
If public discussion = lies thrown at the general public 24-7, then yes.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #41 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:33 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,115
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
like when the US invaded Iraq the last time?
Hm, a discussion does not allways lead to the way I would favour, but well that is democracy:

I have to agree to the majority even if I think that it is wrong.
Boarder35m is offline  
post #42 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:34 AM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,932
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
If public discussion = lies thrown at the general public 24-7, then yes.
I guess all that famous Bush-owned media was to blame.

If anything CNN are more pro-Democrat.
Jimnik is offline  
post #43 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
Vietnam and Korea were being attacked by the Chinese. USA was aiding the south in both cases, not invading...
nobody threatened the u.s., that's what counts. therefore i consider them the aggressors. the u.s. helped and china helped, so they've been equally bad in this case. bear in mind: we're talking solely about the actual aggression. it doesn't matter why these actions took place. the initial point that was raised was human rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnik
I don't know about Indonesia. What happened there?
the same as in south america, so i guess it wouldn't count as an invasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnik
It's much MUCH worse than America's. The fact that you were even comparing is what scares me.
it's not that much. it's just worse.
Stensland is offline  
post #44 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:37 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarder35m View Post
Hm, a discussion does not allways lead to the way I would favour, but well that is democracy:

I have to agree to the majority even if I think that it is wrong.
That's the problem of democracy mate. The majority is wrong 98% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
I guess all that famous Bush-owned media was to blame.

If anything CNN are more pro-Democrat.
Were any weapons of mass destruction found?
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #45 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 94
Posts: 31,496
                     
Re: Is America a Nation in Decline?

Britain has won more wars than the USA and therefore is a superior nation.

Hope this helps.
Jaap is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome