What ever happened to aging gracefully? - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
                     
What ever happened to aging gracefully?

This Wimbledon, Canadian viewers are bombarded with this ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpCqe340fw

Everything is so cheesy... The cool props, the look we are drinking on the beach pose, the guitar solo, the kiss... Since when are you supposed to try to look and behave like a teenage surfer dude when you are pushing 60?

And that line... "Never trust anybody over 90"?..

Very disturbing...

Last edited by BigJohn; 07-02-2008 at 06:46 AM.
BigJohn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 157
                     
Re: Whatever happened to aging gracefully?

It didn't particularly surprise me...everyone knows that western culture (aka America) has a perverse obsession with youth.
Pheobo is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Registered User
 
StevoTG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,424
                     
Re: Whatever happened to aging gracefully?

When I'm in my sixties I hope to still be open-minded and still playing tennis.. looking `cool` wont be on my agenda, but then again it never really was.
StevoTG is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 AM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,107
                     
Re: Whatever happened to aging gracefully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post

Everything is so cheesy... The cool props, the look we are drinking on the beach pose, the guitar solo, the kiss... Since when are you supposed to try to look and behave like a teenage surfer dude when you are pushing 60?
I resent that. I am 64 and if I feel like a teenage surfer dude, isn't that great? My motto is to always act my shoe size.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:12 AM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,107
                     
Re: Whatever happened to aging gracefully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoTG View Post
When I'm in my sixties I hope to still be open-minded and still playing tennis.. looking `cool` wont be on my agenda, but then again it never really was.
Look forward to it. You just become more Santoro-like with age.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Registered User
 
StevoTG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,424
                     
Re: Whatever happened to aging gracefully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Look forward to it. You just become more Santoro-like with age.
That will do, there is a guy in his sixties at my club who I've played with/against a few times - he moves well and certainly has all the skills to entertain (does remind me a bit of Santoro).

I've got no problem with anyone surfing, high-fiving, plating basketball or anything like that, the cheesy smiles and the ``don't trust anyone over 90`` kinda put me off.. perhaps better actors would do the trick. Also I don't get the problem with gray hair, each unto their own of course and anyone who wants to die their hair any colour is obviously 100% fine, but I don't get it when people are desperate not to let anyone that they have gray hair.

btw, that guy at my club - silver haired fox (fox in the cunning way, not the sexy way.. well you'd have to ask someone who's into men.. although when I typed `silver haired fox` into google here's what I found.. http://boomers.msn.com/articledp.asp...umentid=379781)
StevoTG is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
                     
Re: Whatever happened to aging gracefully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I resent that. I am 64 and if I feel like a teenage surfer dude, isn't that great? My motto is to always act my shoe size.
My comment is about people in their 60s who are trying to look and behave like teenagers. I have no problems with people feeling young, props to you.

As for your motto, I can only hope you are using european measurements for your shoes...
BigJohn is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Registered User
 
camnation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lala Land
Posts: 771
                     
Re: Whatever happened to aging gracefully?

God, I hate that commercial. But it's funny in a desperate kind of way.
camnation is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 PM
@Ryan's Hat
 
Okonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charmants
Posts: 19,674
                     
Re: Whatever happened to aging gracefully?

I'm aging gracefully. I have grey around my ears, like in commertial. Sexy, I can tell you.

'If you don't like where you are, than change it. You are not a tree'
Okonsky is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:51 AM
Registered User
 
Sparko1030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The land of sky blue waters
Posts: 10,269
                     
Re: Whatever happened to aging gracefully?

The Baby Boomers are obsessed about aging (or should I aay not aging.) Its good in some ways as it motivates them to stay more fit and take better care of themselves but they have to face the fact that ultimatly, they are still getting older and I don't believe they are really facing that. They seem to decieve themselves that they can actually hold of the process indefinatly although botox, face lifts, tummy tucks, liposuction and drugs like Viagra do not turn back time, they only delude the user that they have.

Still, we humans are weak, and with a sizeable disposable income here in the US, we are very succeptible to the promise of youth despite the futility of it all. In short, we lack the wisdom that should come with age, its been displaced with the ferverant beleif we can buy enternaL youth. Laughable and sad at the same time.

This is the generation that came of age in the 60's when the counter culture was at its peak and I suppose they refuse to become what they so despised as youths.

NICOLAS MASSU

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Sparko1030 is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 05:20 AM
Registered User
 
Ilovetheblues_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 11,407
                     
Re: Whatever happened to aging gracefully?

Quote:
The Baby Boomers are obsessed about aging (or should I aay not aging.) Its good in some ways as it motivates them to stay more fit and take better care of themselves but they have to face the fact that ultimatly, they are still getting older and I don't believe they are really facing that. They seem to decieve themselves that they can actually hold of the process indefinatly although botox, face lifts, tummy tucks, liposuction and drugs like Viagra do not turn back time, they only delude the user that they have.

Still, we humans are weak, and with a sizeable disposable income here in the US, we are very succeptible to the promise of youth despite the futility of it all. In short, we lack the wisdom that should come with age, its been displaced with the ferverant beleif we can buy enternaL youth. Laughable and sad at the same time.

This is the generation that came of age in the 60's when the counter culture was at its peak and I suppose they refuse to become what they so despised as youths
Yes, getting old is bad, unfortunately, that´s the true, you can always act graciously towards aging, but that doesn´t mean it´s a good thing.

HELLAS TT ARMY


MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 AM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,107
                     
Re: Whatever happened to aging gracefully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
My comment is about people in their 60s who are trying to look and behave like teenagers. I have no problems with people feeling young, props to you.

As for your motto, I can only hope you are using european measurements for your shoes...
No, I don't try to look like a surfer. I do wear shorts and tennis shoes all day though - but hey, it's Costa Rica - PURA VIDA.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:24 AM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,107
                     
Re: Whatever happened to aging gracefully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheblues_86 View Post
Yes, getting old is bad, unfortunately, that´s the true, you can always act graciously towards aging, but that doesn´t mean it´s a good thing.
That is not true at all - from my aged perspective. The older you get the more you are a winner in life. Don't forget that no matter what you do, we have already done it - and more!

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome