Novak offered £110k to lose
By CHARLIE WYETT
September 25, 2007
COMMENT ON THIS STORY
WORLD No 3 Novak Djokovic was offered £110,000 to throw a tennis match, SunSport can reveal.
Serbian Djokovic, a finalist at the US Open this month, was stunned to be offered the massive sum to lose in the first round of a tournament in St Petersburg and flatly refused to get involved.
But the revelation will shock the game after Tim Henman’s admission that he is aware of players being approached to fix matches.
ATP tennis chiefs have launched a betting probe into strange results. There is no suggestion the organisers of the St Petersburg tournament last year were involved and Serbian Djokovic, 20, did not attend the event.
But the ATP are focusing their investigations on betting scams in both Russia and the Ukraine.
A spokesman said: “We do not comment on investigations or whether players have supplied us with information. But we have an anti-corruption programme and while no players have been charged we are not resting on our laurels.”
The ATP are looking at a gambling scandal surrounding Nikolay Davydenko’s loss to Martin Vassallo Arguello in Poland in August. The Russian withdrew injured in the third set but has insisted he is innocent.
Just-retired Henman said: “I never experienced it but, listening to the players, it seems it goes on.”
A Djokovic spokesman insisted the player had received no official offer to play in St Petersburg.
He said: “Novak was contracted to play in Basel at the same time but withdrew through injury.”