Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Bremen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,647
                     
Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Here's the article:

Brazil judge in gay football row
By Gary Duffy
BBC News, Sao Paulo

A Brazilian judge faces legal action for homophobia after giving a judgment in which he said football was a masculine sport, not a homosexual one.
The judge is reported to have said no-one who had watched the golden era of Pele and others in the 1970s could ever consider having a homosexual idol.

His comments emerged in a case brought by Brazilian footballer Richarlyson.

Richarlyson, who plays for Sao Paulo, was named on national TV as a gay player by the manager of another team.

The suggestion that a leading Brazilian footballer was gay had already been the subject of considerable public speculation.

Richarlyson started legal proceedings against the manager, claiming that the public outing on television had damaged his image.

Controversial

In reaching a decision to effectively set the case aside, Judge Manoel Maximiniano Junqueira Filho said football was a virile masculine sport and not a homosexual one.

If you were a homosexual, it would be better to admit it or to conceal it completely, the judge was reported as saying.

However, if that was the case, it would be better to abandon the playing field, he added.

The judge said those who remembered the World Cup of 1970 and saw golden players such as Pele and Tostao would never consider a homosexual idol.

It was not shown to be reasonable to accept homosexuality in Brazilian football because this would damage the equilibrium and uniformity of thinking of the team.

A complaint is to be lodged about the judge's comments, which seem likely to become more controversial than the original legal action and his decision to shelve the case is also the subject of an appeal.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...as/6930806.stm

Published: 2007/08/04 01:14:52 GMT

© BBC MMVII
Bremen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,583
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen View Post
Here's the article:

Brazil judge in gay football row
By Gary Duffy
BBC News, Sao Paulo

A Brazilian judge faces legal action for homophobia after giving a judgment in which he said football was a masculine sport, not a homosexual one.
The judge is reported to have said no-one who had watched the golden era of Pele and others in the 1970s could ever consider having a homosexual idol.

His comments emerged in a case brought by Brazilian footballer Richarlyson.

Richarlyson, who plays for Sao Paulo, was named on national TV as a gay player by the manager of another team.

The suggestion that a leading Brazilian footballer was gay had already been the subject of considerable public speculation.

Richarlyson started legal proceedings against the manager, claiming that the public outing on television had damaged his image.

Controversial

In reaching a decision to effectively set the case aside, Judge Manoel Maximiniano Junqueira Filho said football was a virile masculine sport and not a homosexual one.

If you were a homosexual, it would be better to admit it or to conceal it completely, the judge was reported as saying.

However, if that was the case, it would be better to abandon the playing field, he added.


The judge said those who remembered the World Cup of 1970 and saw golden players such as Pele and Tostao would never consider a homosexual idol.

It was not shown to be reasonable to accept homosexuality in Brazilian football because this would damage the equilibrium and uniformity of thinking of the team.

A complaint is to be lodged about the judge's comments, which seem likely to become more controversial than the original legal action and his decision to shelve the case is also the subject of an appeal.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...as/6930806.stm

Published: 2007/08/04 01:14:52 GMT

© BBC MMVII
wanker
safin-rules-no.1 is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,839
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Holy shit. Wow.
Sofyaxo is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:35 PM
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
 
Rafa = Fed Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 5,067
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

He should have suggested they quit soccer and go do some ballet.

Homophobia = fear of gay people
I think the judge is making fun of them and not afraid of them.

The ATP deserves a better class of player, and I'm gonna give it to 'em - Djoker

RIP TENNIS JUNE 7, 2009


Do what must be done.
Do not hesitate.
Show no mercy.
Rafa = Fed Killa is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,583
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa = Fed Killa View Post
He should have suggested they quit soccer and go do some ballet.

Homophobia = fear of gay people
I think the judge is making fun of them and not afraid of them
.
so that makes it ok then? And for your knowledge homophobia also means a dislike/hate of gay people. The later of which the judge clearly has



:retard:
safin-rules-no.1 is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Bremen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,647
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by safin-rules-no.1 View Post
so that makes it ok then? And for your knowledge homophobia also means a dislike/hate of gay people. The later of which the judge clearly has



:retard:
What else can you expect from RFK??

I hope the player gets a lot of support from his team mates and from the general public. All he wanted to do was to play soccer. It's his choice to tell people about his sexuality. At least it looks like the judge is going to face more heat than the player....

You'd think there would be more tolerance in a place like Brazil, I mean it's practically the gay capital of the world.
Bremen is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
shotgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 12,570
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen View Post
What else can you expect from RFK??

I hope the player gets a lot of support from his team mates and from the general public. All he wanted to do was to play soccer. It's his choice to tell people about his sexuality. At least it looks like the judge is going to face more heat than the player....

You'd think there would be more tolerance in a place like Brazil, I mean it's practically the gay capital of the world.
This is football, a sport in which the overwhelming majority of the participating agents (players, referees, fans, club directors, etc.) come from a poor, uneducated background. The amount of intolerance for homossexuals is bigger here than on any other sport.

And 'gay capital of the world'??? Just because our parade is the biggest doesn't mean there is more tolerance here than on other parts of the world.

As for Richarlyson, he's probably gay, but I don't care as long as he does well what he's paid to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
The tennis equivalent of two old bald men fighting over a comb.
shotgun is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Bremen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,647
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
This is football, a sport in which the overwhelming majority of the participating agents (players, referees, fans, club directors, etc.) come from a poor, uneducated background. The amount of intolerance for homossexuals is bigger here than on any other sport.

And 'gay capital of the world'??? Just because our parade is the biggest doesn't mean there is more tolerance here than on other parts of the world.

As for Richarlyson, he's probably gay, but I don't care as long as he does well what he's paid to.
I guess football in South American is a bit like nascar in the US? I admit I don't follow football but this story is of interest to me.

Well I suppose the urban centres are always going to be more tolerant, that's kind of what I meant when I said gay capital of the world.

I just hope that Richarlyson doesn't get booed or anything like that when he plays next.
Bremen is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
shotgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 12,570
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen View Post
I guess football in South American is a bit like nascar in the US? I admit I don't follow football but this story is of interest to me.

Well I suppose the urban centres are always going to be more tolerant, that's kind of what I meant when I said gay capital of the world.

I just hope that Richarlyson doesn't get booed or anything like that when he plays next.
Actually, football here is a religion, people from all classes and backgrounds follow it. But players, managers, referees, most of the fans that actually frequent football stadiums come from a poor background. Club directors don't come exactly from the lower classes for the most part, but most of them have dodgy connections and are politicians. All in all, I'd say it's a very bigoted environment.

Fans of opposing teams will definitely be giving him crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
The tennis equivalent of two old bald men fighting over a comb.
shotgun is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,583
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post

Fans of opposing teams will definitely be giving him crap.
To be expected sadly - and would be likely to happen in most countries to an 'out' footballer, i think more so than other sport because as you say it's a religion and more people follow it more intently looking for differences in an opposing team to highlight
safin-rules-no.1 is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen View Post
I guess football in South American is a bit like nascar in the US? I admit I don't follow football but this story is of interest to me.
In Argentina boys play football, girls play with dolls. (I'm generalizing and exagerating, but its not that far from the truth).

Homosexuality in football is kind of taboo.
Hendu is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,583
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas View Post
In Argentina boys play football, girls play with dolls. (I'm generalizing and exagerating, but its not that far from the truth).

Homosexuality in football is kind of taboo.
so all the gay Argantinian boys/guys play with dolls?
safin-rules-no.1 is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by safin-rules-no.1 View Post
so all the gay Argantinian boys/guys play with dolls?
lol... no just to show that football is part of the macho stereotype.

There are many gay football players. I don't know any pro though. They won't make it public because it would be hell for them. Football fields are not the most tolerant places here.

Football is a "macho" game, thats the mindset in Argentina. I'm not saying I agree with that. Just describing the sad reality.
Hendu is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,583
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas View Post
Football is a "macho" game here, thats the mindset. I'm not saying I agree with that. Just describing the sad reality.
yeah same where i live too i cant think of one 'out' footballer in the whole of Europe. it is quite sad
safin-rules-no.1 is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
Re: Brazilian Judge in gay football controversy

There are many examples of discrimination in football.

Passarella is the Coach of River Plate, former coach of the national team, captain of the 1978 world champion, and one of the best central defenders ever.

Quote:
On 4 July 1995, El Gráfico published an interview with Passarella. The seventy-third question in the one hundred-question interview was "Would you convoke a homosexual?," to which Passarella answered with a simple "No" . That "no" soon became the center of a debate that filled several newspaper and magazine pages and many hours of radio air-time.

Passarella expressed resentment that his one word answer to one question in a hundred-question interview was overshadowing issues more directly related to the national team and its performance. He explained that "it is a personal taste. Like if I did not want a player who is too tall" and he argued that "this is a democratic country" in which everyone is allowed to have his own tastes and to act accordingly.

Julio Grondona, who as president of the Asociación de Fútbol Argentino is Passarella's boss, surprised many soccer fans by disagreeing with his coach. He said that he believed Passarella lacked tolerance because of his youth and that "if a homosexual respects the norms of the group, there would be no problems in incorporating him in the national team".

Similarly, José Pekerman, the coach of Argentina's junior national teams (years after he would be the coach of the senior NT), recognized that some players might be bothered by having an openly gay teammate, but he said he would turn to psychological and medical professionals to handle group anxiety.

The most polemical response to Passarella came, predictably, from Diego Maradona. Passarella and Maradona have been archrivals since 1981, when Passarella was the leading defensive player for River Plate and Maradona was the leading offensive player for Boca Juniors. Passarella was the captain of the Argentine national team that won the 1978 World Cup, but Maradona replaced him as captain of the team that won the World Cup in 1986. Maradona responded to Passarella's anti-gay policiess by saying he hoped Boca Juniors would buy Ruud Gullit, an openly gay Dutch player, widely believed to be the best player in the world in the early 1990s. Maradona asked rhetorically, "If a player is gay and he scores three goals, what is Passarella going to do?". Maradona also used the controversy to make a dramatic statement in favor of tolerance for sexual differences.
Hendu is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome