Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: If he can only win one of these titles this year, which one would it be?
Wimbledon 20 28.99%
RG 49 71.01%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

I would trade all his future Wimbly titles from now to the end of his career for one RG title.

That said, if he does win RG this year, I wouldn't mind him skipping RG to the end of his career and win as many Wimblys as he wishes...
Rogiman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 AM
♥ eve ♥
 
bokehlicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 40,766
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
That said, if he does win RG this year, I wouldn't mind him skipping RG to the end of his career and win as many Wimblys as he wishes...
Ditto He has to win RG once for the record, but I'd rather see him play his beautiful tennis on fast surfaces than digging in the dirt vs moonballers
bokehlicious is offline  
post #18 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 11:58 AM
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,906
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPower
Ditto He has to win RG once for the record, but I'd rather see him play his beautiful tennis on fast surfaces than digging in the dirt vs moonballers
Hey I like the fact he wants to do well on all surfaces and doesn't just put in an appearance during the clay court season like the Americans. Or Hewitt who apparently thinks only one warm-up event is all he needs to do well at RG.

nobama is offline  
post #19 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,468
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
I would trade all his future Wimbly titles from now to the end of his career for one RG title.
You were not serious? What about five Wimbledon titles for one RG...
Quote:
That said, if he does win RG this year, I wouldn't mind him skipping RG to the end of his career and win as many Wimblys as he wishes...
That's the spirit
yanchr is offline  
post #20 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,468
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

I personally won't want him to TRADE Wimbledon for RG, but if he wins RG and doesn't win Wimbledon, surely I won't want him to trade that RG for Wimbledon.

If I have to choose between the two, my heart stubbornly says Wimbledon, but my mind says maybe RG I just can't accept the person who lifts the Wimbledon trophy is not Roger on that mid-July Sunday afternoon. And thinking if one day, that person be Nadal...
yanchr is offline  
post #21 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanchr
I just can't accept the person who lifts the Wimbledon trophy is not Roger on that mid-July Sunday afternoon. And thinking if one day, that person be Nadal...
Perish the thought
Rogiman is offline  
post #22 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,170
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
Perish the thought
Hey, on the grass, pigs get rooted in the ground- they can't roll and slide as effectively as they do on mud

I would take RG in a heartbeat, after having gone through the ordeals I went in RG as a Sampras fan I think I finally deserve having a player I support lifting that trophy and at that one that does it without standing 8 feet behind the baseline grunting and hitting with excessive topspin.
RonE is offline  
post #23 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 02:32 PM
country flag lsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,102
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

For this year? Yes Yes and Yes.......I'm very sure about this. I want to see him lift up that RG trophy...more than anything else.

BUT if losing in Wimby has to happen...can he lose to some random player in and not any other top players ...(how about dmitry...this guy is so funny I would be thinking of all his funny quotes in his blogs than being sad about Rogi losing...heck dmitry is so funny he should get a slam just for being funny )
lsy is offline  
post #24 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsy
BUT if losing in Wimby has to happen...can he lose to some random player in and not any other top players
If you mean Nadal then relax, that is just never going to happen on grass.

Other than him:
Nalbandian - well, he can play on grass, but would simply be outhit and outplayed by Roger's superior serve and groundies, hell - this guy was on the verge of losing to Murray last year

Roddick - like I said before, this guy is falling faster than tangerine_dream old breasts and his tennis years are behind him at only 23.

Ljubo - unfortunately he sucks on grass, despite having the 2nd best serve in the game (after Ivo), and all those people wondering how he doesn't succeed on grass should remember Verkerk: great groundies, great serve but looong swings.

Hewitt - need I say anything?

It has to be someone out of the top 5, and I see Ivo Karlovic (serving as well as he's been doing lately) as a possible threat, albeit not a serious one.

Ivo vs. Nadal on grass, this one would be fun to watch
Rogiman is offline  
post #25 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Quote:
That said, if he does win RG this year, I wouldn't mind him skipping RG to the end of his career and win as many Wimblys as he wishes...
I asgree with this.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #26 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Quote:
If you mean Nadal then relax, that is just never going to happen on grass.

Other than him:
Nalbandian - well, he can play on grass, but would simply be outhit and outplayed by Roger's superior serve and groundies, hell - this guy was on the verge of losing to Murray last year

Roddick - like I said before, this guy is falling faster than tangerine_dream old breasts and his tennis years are behind him at only 23.

Ljubo - unfortunately he sucks on grass, despite having the 2nd best serve in the game (after Ivo), and all those people wondering how he doesn't succeed on grass should remember Verkerk: great groundies, great serve but looong swings.

Hewitt - need I say anything?

It has to be someone out of the top 5, and I see Ivo Karlovic (serving as well as he's been doing lately) as a possible threat, albeit not a serious one.
Nadal vs. Ivo WOULD be a lot of fun, but I have a feeling (if past years ae any indication), Ivo will be in Roger's section of the draw.

BTW, I don't think Nadal is ready to win Wimbledon and might not ever win it with his style, but the fact is that there are only about a dozen or so players capable of hitting him off of the court. During the tournament, he may only face two or three. This means that we will probably be seeing him advance to some quarters and maybe even some semis soon if players aren't on their games and hitting their shots when they play him.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #27 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 04:01 PM
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,906
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan
Nadal vs. Ivo WOULD be a lot of fun, but I have a feeling (if past years ae any indication), Ivo will be in Roger's section of the draw.

BTW, I don't think Nadal is ready to win Wimbledon and might not ever win it with his style, but the fact is that there are only about a dozen or so players capable of hitting him off of the court. During the tournament, he may only face two or three. This means that we will probably be seeing him advance to some quarters and maybe even some semis soon if players aren't on their games and hitting their shots when they play him.
He most likely will be seeded #2 this year, right?

nobama is offline  
post #28 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan
BTW, I don't think Nadal is ready to win Wimbledon and might not ever win it with his style, but the fact is that there are only about a dozen or so players capable of hitting him off of the court. During the tournament, he may only face two or three. This means that we will probably be seeing him advance to some quarters and maybe even some semis soon if players aren't on their games and hitting their shots when they play him.
Grass neutralizes EVERY strength in Nadal's game, namely: his speed (he can no longer run faster than the balls...) and his high-bouncing shots with excessive top-spin (which sit-up nicely for any player to hit on grass), and on competitiveness alone he won't go far.

I had been stunned how sub-ordinary he looked last year vs. Muller, until I realised he simply had nothing to offer on that surface.
I remember an article in one of the English newspapers (telegraph?) later in which they wrote how surprised they were with how unorthodox Nadal's shots were, and basically saying nobody should be raised playing like that.

True, few players play particularly well on grass nowadays, but Nadal isn't better than any of those who do not.

Sorry, mallorn, he's got no chance in hell on the stuff
I'm not saying this as a hater or using some wishful thinking.
He might be working on his serve and his volleys, but it's not like he's going to start S&V tomorrow on the grass (or he's toast even before playing one game).
Rogiman is offline  
post #29 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Registered User
 
SUKTUEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HONG KONG
Posts: 27,223
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

I know Roger really want win RG,

But I cannot image when another man hold the Wimby Golden Cup, he will be how sad he is~~
SUKTUEN is offline  
post #30 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Registered User
 
RogiFan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 21,729
                     
Re: Would you trade this year's Wimbledon in for a title at RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
Perish the thought
and wash your mouth out w soap while you're at it

Hopp Rogi! Go Gonzo! Allez Gasquet!

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome