How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here) - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:09 AM
Registered User
 
Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 62,730
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

Here in South Africa, Roger is popular. The media talks about him all the time , specially when he wins tournaments. and they always mention his mother is South African (so they feel proud aobut it) and also is very respected because of his foundation which helps poor children to give them a better future.




~~~Roger Federer (17 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010, Wimbledon 2012 ~~~

Daniel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:23 AM
country flag lsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,102
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

It's not surprising if he's still a nobody in US after all let's face it tennis is the no.??? sports there? Not to mention that Rogi really doesn't have any of those "star" elements that will "light up" any of their attention Actually I think he might be more well known had he been defeated by Andy in all those Wimby encounters past years than for him to win it all with reason Commonaussie had offered (btw welcome back and great to see you posting here )

What I'm more interested is if his own country actually truly appreciate what a great sportsman they have with the results he produced not to mention how well he had been representing the country. My impression is yes they do but not to the extent we thought it would have been as JMPower mentioned, it's quite a pity. But I guess people tend to take it for granted after a while. Surely he will be more appreciated when he retires...as it always is

btw Ron, do you want to know if Rogi is huge here in Malaysia?
lsy is offline  
post #33 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:51 AM
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 39
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsy
It's not surprising if he's still a nobody in US after all let's face it tennis is the no.??? sports there? Not to mention that Rogi really doesn't have any of those "star" elements that will "light up" any of their attention Actually I think he might be more well known had he been defeated by Andy in all those Wimby encounters past years than for him to win it all with reason Commonaussie had offered (btw welcome back and great to see you posting here )

What I'm more interested is if his own country actually truly appreciate what a great sportsman they have with the results he produced not to mention how well he had been representing the country. My impression is yes they do but not to the extent we thought it would have been as JMPower mentioned, it's quite a pity. But I guess people tend to take it for granted after a while. Surely he will be more appreciated when he retires...as it always is

btw Ron, do you want to know if Rogi is huge here in Malaysia?

Cheers Isy mate .
Sorry I`d never realised you`re from Malaysia before ,a very cool country & one i plan to visit again. I`ve stoped in Kuala Lumpur a few times on my way to Japan^,where I`m working now. KL is quite an exciting & lively place .
CmonAussie is offline  
 
post #34 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:36 AM
country flag lsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,102
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie

Cheers Isy mate .
Sorry I`d never realised you`re from Malaysia before ,a very cool country & one i plan to visit again. I`ve stoped in Kuala Lumpur a few times on my way to Japan^,where I`m working now. KL is quite an exciting & lively place .
Other than the weather/traffics/crowds/lousy transporations systems/rude cab drivers/floods/crazy driving/....yeah KL is kind of nice

But yes most people who visit KL for like few days think it's nice

I like Melbourne better Working in Japan for good? Or only short term?
lsy is offline  
post #35 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:43 AM
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 39
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsy
Other than the weather/traffics/crowds/lousy transporations systems/rude cab drivers/floods/crazy driving/....yeah KL is kind of nice

But yes most people who visit KL for like few days think it's nice

I like Melbourne better Working in Japan for good? Or only short term?

Yeah I guess it`s a case of the grass is always greener... ?!
For sure I haven`t spent enough time in KL to see the downside ,though I`ve seen enough of Japan[Fukuoka^3yrs] & naturally Melbourne to see their shortcomings .For Melbourne I guess the main problem is the unpredictable weather & especially the wind has to be felt to be believed .Then most of Japan is covered with vending machines & convenience stores^ even in World Heritage sites ,naturally that comes as a shock.
*I don`t know how long I`ll stay in Japan but I guess 10-years might be enough for me, before I burn out or go crazy .However there are many things I love about Japan too^ so that`s why I came .When I`m ready to have a family then I expect to migrate back down South again[either Melbourne or Sydney] ...
CmonAussie is offline  
post #36 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:13 AM
country flag lsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,102
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie

Yeah I guess it`s a case of the grass is always greener... ?!
For sure I haven`t spent enough time in KL to see the downside ,though I`ve seen enough of Japan[Fukuoka^3yrs] & naturally Melbourne to see their shortcomings .For Melbourne I guess the main problem is the unpredictable weather & especially the wind has to be felt to be believed .Then most of Japan is covered with vending machines & convenience stores^ even in World Heritage sites ,naturally that comes as a shock.
Yes that four seasons weather in one day, I wouldn't forget one time when we were all happily wearing shorts to lectures coz of the bright sunny weather, only to come out one hour later seeing grey sky and howling winds yes that wind!!! I remembered that, it used to cost me headache all the time! Now that you'd mentioned it, it's coming back to haunt me...guess you're right, grass of the other side is always greener I also remember the time when I visited London/Paris during winter, never would I have imagined how much I would be missing the M'sia weather

As for Japan, it's a crazily innovative country, I'm always amazed with all sorts of things they managed to come out with there...have you seen the pillow made of Sharapova shape there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie
*I don`t know how long I`ll stay in Japan but I guess 10-years might be enough for me, before I burn out or go crazy .However there are many things I love about Japan too^ so that`s why I came .When I`m ready to have a family then I expect to migrate back down South again[either Melbourne or Sydney] ...
10 years

I would love to visit Japan one day (one obstacle is it's sooooo expensive!) I love countries which you can see strong traits of their traditons/histories, yet at the same time also the very modern side of it. Japan is obviously one of them.

Still remember WyveN? He had missed you...a lot
lsy is offline  
post #37 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 39
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

Oh Isy mate, don`t get me started about the Sharapova obsession in Japan.Sometimes I feel physically sick when I see older Japanese men perving at the tennis magazines here just to catch a peek-a-boo close up ,it`s quite a sad state of affairs .The worst part is that most Japanese have no clue who Federer is ,even though they apparently watch Wimbledon. I guess they only watch they early rounds when the Japanese players are still in the mix & then the Sharapova matches exclusively .If you took a poll of the most famous international sportsmen known to Japanese it would read like this...*1.Sharapova, 2.Tiger Woods, 3.David Beckam ,nothing wrong with that I guess but they should know about Federer & a few others too !

Isy^ you`ve spent a decent amount of time in Melbourne ? SO I guess you were an exchange student there for a few years..Don`t suppose you went to Melb Uni or RMIT? .During my university days I came across more than a few Malaysians & quite friendly with a couple^ I wonder if we had any friends/aquaintences in common ?

Yeah we`ll never be able to solve the wind problem in Melb ,if it comes from the North then it`s like a desert sandstorm,if it comes from the South then it`s an Antarctic blizzard ^either way 1st timers may be in for a surprise .However if you like multicultural places then Melb`s got to be one of the best cities in the World ,definitely one of the more diverse big cities going around. If you want Greek, Italian, Mongolian, Vietnamese, Thai food, then it`s all on offer & always the original article. Also Melbournians tend to accept everyone as an individual, so aside from sporting rivalries[a la with England in the Ashes cricket] then you`re not bagged down with any cultural or historical baggage. Every man/woman comes on face value.

As for Japan^ well the end of March\beginning of April is the best time to visit[ie.right now!] as the blooming cherry blossums make for quite a heavenly sight . Japanese are either the most welcoming people in World or some of the most racist ,it all depends where you`re coming from & how you take them,plus what generation you`re dealing with. Most of the younger people here are fairly hip to foreign things. Also Japan loves their FADS more than any other country,^for instance now Japanese women are obsessed with Korean men/food/culture etc. So I guess if you`re a Korean man who can cook kimuchi/bibimba & you come to Japan then you`ll get mobbed at the airport .However if the FAD is OUT then you may get a cooler reception.

PS, Does WyveN really miss me? You`re being sarcastic right...
CmonAussie is offline  
post #38 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,170
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

CmonAussie- that is quite fascinating. I'll admit we have gone totally here but having lived in a few places myself over the years I always find it fascinating learning about other cultures and mentalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie

Ironically the thing that probably turned more people into Federer fans was his defeat in 5-sets to Hewitt in the Davis Cup Semi 2003.
What was the reaction in Australia to their 2004 AO encounter after that DC semi? Were those same people still his fans after that match? I remember when Roger was serving for that match the crowd went totally nuts hoping and believing that Hewitt would break back as he did in Davis Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsy
btw Ron, do you want to know if Rogi is huge here in Malaysia?
Yes, as a matter of fact I do and I have changed the thread title accordingly

Last edited by RonE; 03-23-2006 at 11:17 AM.
RonE is offline  
post #39 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,170
                     
Re: How well known is Roger in your country? (f.k.a: A question to the Americans here)

To answer the question posed in the new title- here in Israel if you ask the average person about tennis s/he will say something like "Is Pete Sampras still playing?" To the average person who is not a tennis fan, the name Roger Federer means absolutely nothing. And there are very few people who are actually interested in tennis- European League basketball and football are the main attractions from a sports stand in Israel.
RonE is offline  
post #40 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:21 AM
country flag lsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,102
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

Would there be any time soon when the cool/relax Aussie guys will become the FAD there?

I really don't understand why generally are the asians obsessed with the blondes though Hey it's not only Japan where anything to do with Korean is hot these days, here in M'sia too...e.g. the Korean tv series had completely taken over the ones from Japan in terms of popularity.

Well to be honest, here in M'sia (I'm sure Singapore too) unless Rogi appears besides Beckham (or any other famous football players) or Michael Schumacher, he will be noticed and as in like "hey who's the guy standing besides Schumacher?" But among the one who actually follow sports (which unfortunately to many here, sports = football/F1 and for more matured ones : golf ), they would know who Federer is.

At least we actually have a Rogi fans in Japan thread here and quite a few great Japanese Rogi fans...if I open a Rogi fans in M'sia thread...I will be spending whole time talking to myself!

Who knows maybe you're one of my long lost Aussie friends? You can send me a PM and name me any M'sian mates you know, but I doubt the coincidence coz there really are many M'sian students in Melbourne.

and no I'm not being sacarstic
lsy is offline  
post #41 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:41 AM
country flag lsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,102
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE
Yes, as a matter of fact I do and I have changed the thread title accordingly
and I have given my answer accordingly

One thing though here in M'sia definitely more people will know Andre Agassi than Pete Sampras.

Can you blame me for going offtopic with the long lost poster CmonAussie we all missed?
lsy is offline  
post #42 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,170
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsy
if I open a Rogi fans in M'sia thread...I will be spending whole time talking to myself!


And if I open a Rogi fans in Israel thread I will end up talking with Rogiman and instead of discussing Roger we will be talking about 1001 ways to cook pork
RonE is offline  
post #43 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,170
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsy
Can you blame me for going offtopic with the long lost poster CmonAussie we all missed?
Wouldn't dream of it
RonE is offline  
post #44 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
country flag lsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,102
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE


And if I open a Rogi fans in Israel thread I will end up talking with Rogiman and instead of discussing Roger we will be talking about 1001 ways to cook pork


How is it possible that Israel has 2 Rogi fans here where M'sia only one...I'm beginning to think you and Rogiman are simply the same person
lsy is offline  
post #45 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:04 PM
♥ eve ♥
 
Xoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 40,936
                     
Re: A question to the Americans here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE


And if I open a Rogi fans in Israel thread I will end up talking with Rogiman and instead of discussing Roger we will be talking about 1001 ways to cook pork
Xoil is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome