Federer's Best Match so far? - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
gillian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 850
                     
Federer's Best Match so far?

I'm in Federer country here, and what a great place it is to be

Seriously, I adore his game and his personality. So, I don't mind joining in on the gushing.

In your opinion, what is the best match Federer has played thus far in his career?

I have 2 candidates.

1. 2003 Wimbledon Semi-final against Andy Roddick: Roddick had been playing superbly up to that point, but Federer took him apart surgically.

2. 2004 U.S. Open Final against Lletyon Hewitt: Hewitt was having his comeback summer, but Roger just routed him. The score still shocks me 2 months later.

I'm sure others have candidates, but, IMO, these 2 matches were ones in which Federer's talent literally took people's breath away (I know it did mine).

Rafa Looks Weird With Sleeves
gillian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Miss Fabray
 
Fergie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Federerland
Posts: 55,507
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillian
1. 2003 Wimbledon Semi-final against Andy Roddick: Roddick had been playing superbly up to that point, but Federer took him apart surgically.
This is my fav match

The King Roger Federer



Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 12:18 AM
Registered User
 
mitalidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,048
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

I like the Wimbledon 2004 final

he won it practically on his backfoot, beautiful defensive tennis that no one expected him to be able to pull off after he lost the first set

The challenge was just enormous, and he came through and I love him SOOO MUCH!!!! GO ROGER GO GO
mitalidas is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 04:43 AM
Registered User
 
SUKTUEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HONG KONG
Posts: 27,344
                     
Talking Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitalidas
I like the Wimbledon 2004 final

he won it practically on his backfoot, beautiful defensive tennis that no one expected him to be able to pull off after he lost the first set

The challenge was just enormous, and he came through and I love him SOOO MUCH!!!! GO ROGER GO GO
I like it tooooooo ~~~~~
SUKTUEN is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 04:53 AM
Registered User
 
Fedex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 17,533
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitalidas
I like the Wimbledon 2004 final

he won it practically on his backfoot, beautiful defensive tennis that no one expected him to be able to pull off after he lost the first set

The challenge was just enormous, and he came through and I love him SOOO MUCH!!!! GO ROGER GO GO
It was good, but Roger's level of play in that match, was not near the level it was in the 03 semis.

"I think that now and until the end of my career, I can really play with my mind at peace, and no longer hear that I've never won Roland Garros." - Roger Federer
Fedex is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 04:54 AM
Registered User
 
Fedex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 17,533
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillian

1. 2003 Wimbledon Semi-final against Andy Roddick: Roddick had been playing superbly up to that point, but Federer took him apart surgically.
This one, for sure. He played very well in the finals as well.

"I think that now and until the end of my career, I can really play with my mind at peace, and no longer hear that I've never won Roland Garros." - Roger Federer
Fedex is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Registered User
 
Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 62,729
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

A0 2004, the final vs Safin was a good match for me, and i think sent the message to the other players that Federer is and will be a contender in the future .
Daniel is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,468
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

I can list sereval matches in this regarding.

03 Wimbledon semi
03 TMC RR against Agassi
04 USO final
04 Toronto final

These four come to my mind immediately when I saw the thread. But, 03 Wimbledon semi still tops it all I think for pure quality, chances are slim that we will have quite some the same performances by anyone, including Roger.
yanchr is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Registered User
 
Blaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 527
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

All his matches with Agassi dating back to TMC '03 RR.
Blaze is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
gillian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 850
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitalidas
I like the Wimbledon 2004 final

he won it practically on his backfoot, beautiful defensive tennis that no one expected him to be able to pull off after he lost the first set

The challenge was just enormous, and he came through and I love him SOOO MUCH!!!! GO ROGER GO GO
Actually, this is my favorite match of '04. It was well played by both players, but, I really appreciated it because Roger had to come back from a set down and overcome a bit of adversity to win. I'm sure it was really gratifying for him. What I'll never forget is how he saved all those break points in the 3rd and 4th sets! Just magnificent to watch!

Rafa Looks Weird With Sleeves
gillian is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Registered User
 
mitalidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,048
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

that is exactly how i also feel gilian. it is not a match for the ages, and it is not a classic, and it does not showcase all of his great talent (it showcases a lot of it though)
but it was the hardest match, with the highest of honours at stake, and there was undoubtedly many points in that match when i was giving up. but he came through.... that perseverence, and the genius it took, aah... i died a few deaths that day
mitalidas is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,957
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

In terms of tennis quality the way he has played against Hewitt this year has been amazing. I don't know if it is because of a favourable match up but Federer has just raised his level so much every time he has played him.

Memorable wins this year apart from the Hewitt ones:

Beating Nalbandian at AO (you sort of knew he would win the title after he got through that one)
Beating Henman at IW (his last nemesis)
Beating Coria at Hamburg (ending that streak on his worst surface against a guy who looked unbeatable up until that stage)
Beating Roddick at Toronto (on Roddicks best surface with Roddick in terrific form)
Beating Agassi at USO (so many things going against him and that 5th set )
Beating the inform Safin at the masters especially the way Safin played in that second set

For mine Rogers best victory was in the Wimbledon final. Many felt Federer was always in control but for me there were 3 or 4 points in the match where Roddick was playing the best I ever seen him play and on the verge of really taking control of the match but Roger hanged in there and when he won with that ace it was definetly my happiest Roger memory of 2004.
WyveN is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 02:44 AM
Registered User
 
Fedex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 17,533
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze
All his matches with Agassi dating back to TMC '03 RR.
I agree, especially the TMC RR match.

"I think that now and until the end of my career, I can really play with my mind at peace, and no longer hear that I've never won Roland Garros." - Roger Federer
Fedex is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Registered User
 
Lalitha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: India
Posts: 4,494
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

This years Wimbledon and USO finals. At Wimbledon, he came back from being down and USO final was magic.

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer - Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Lalitha is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,170
                     
Re: Federer's Best Match so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyveN
In terms of tennis quality the way he has played against Hewitt this year has been amazing. I don't know if it is because of a favourable match up but Federer has just raised his level so much every time he has played him.

Memorable wins this year apart from the Hewitt ones:

Beating Nalbandian at AO (you sort of knew he would win the title after he got through that one)
Beating Henman at IW (his last nemesis)
Beating Coria at Hamburg (ending that streak on his worst surface against a guy who looked unbeatable up until that stage)
Beating Roddick at Toronto (on Roddicks best surface with Roddick in terrific form)
Beating Agassi at USO (so many things going against him and that 5th set )
Beating the inform Safin at the masters especially the way Safin played in that second set

For mine Rogers best victory was in the Wimbledon final. Many felt Federer was always in control but for me there were 3 or 4 points in the match where Roddick was playing the best I ever seen him play and on the verge of really taking control of the match but Roger hanged in there and when he won with that ace it was definetly my happiest Roger memory of 2004.
I couldn't agree more, you summed up everything I wanted to say
RonE is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome