Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,478
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

I have now updated the stats in post #1 and #2 to include the week beginning Dec. 31st 2012, as there will be no ranking changes for Fed until then (and Nadal cannot exit the top-5). Fed passes Sampras for most total weeks in top-5 and ranks behind only Connors and Lendl. He is closing in on Lendl's record for most weeks in top-2 and also Lendl's second place for most weeks in top-3. Further advancements looks likely to follow
Litotes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Registered User
 
SUKTUEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HONG KONG
Posts: 27,344
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

SUKTUEN is offline  
post #18 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
I have now updated the stats in post #1 and #2 to include the week beginning Dec. 31st 2012, as there will be no ranking changes for Fed until then (and Nadal cannot exit the top-5).
there will be no ranking change for Fed until the 28th of january (after the Aus open) actually : he will stay number 2 until then at least

PS : according to my checkings, Lendl had at most 403 weeks in top-2 then Fed is already certain to be ahead of him at 406 minimum.

useless old guy

Last edited by duong; 11-05-2012 at 10:56 AM.
duong is offline  
post #19 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,478
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
there will be no ranking change for Fed until the 28th of january (after the Aus open) actually : he will stay number 2 until then at least

PS : according to my checkings, Lendl had at most 403 weeks in top-2 then Fed is already certain to be ahead of him at 406 minimum.
I know there has been uncertainty there. I got Lendl's 409 from Wikipedia and I have spotted errors there before, but I didn't have a realistic alternative of my own. Do you have an overview of Lendl's 403 weeks? Would be interesting to see
Litotes is offline  
post #20 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
I know there has been uncertainty there. I got Lendl's 409 from Wikipedia and I have spotted errors there before, but I didn't have a realistic alternative of my own. Do you have an overview of Lendl's 403 weeks? Would be interesting to see
I can't say I'm sure of my counting either but that's what I had estimated as a maximum (because the ATP didn't display rankings every week and they were often very tight with McEnroe and Connors) by looking at the ATP website last year.
That's the 403 weeks :

11th of january 1982 --> 13th of september 1982 : 35 weeks
28th of february 1983 --> 6th of june 1983 : 14 weeks
4th of july 1983 --> 24th of september 1984 : 64 weeks (with an uncertainty between th
15th of october 1984 --> 29th of october 1984 : 2 weeks
12th of november 1984 --> 10th of december 1984 : 4 weeks
18th of february 1985 --> 18th of march 1985 : 4 weeks
8th of april 1985 --> 20th of august 1990 : 280 weeks

useless old guy
duong is offline  
post #21 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,478
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I can't say I'm sure of my counting either but that's what I had estimated as a maximum (because the ATP didn't display rankings every week and they were often very tight with McEnroe and Connors) by looking at the ATP website last year.
That's the 403 weeks :

11th of january 1982 --> 13th of september 1982 : 35 weeks
28th of february 1983 --> 6th of june 1983 : 14 weeks
4th of july 1983 --> 24th of september 1984 : 64 weeks (with an uncertainty between th
15th of october 1984 --> 29th of october 1984 : 2 weeks
12th of november 1984 --> 10th of december 1984 : 4 weeks
18th of february 1985 --> 18th of march 1985 : 4 weeks
8th of april 1985 --> 20th of august 1990 : 280 weeks
Sure about this one? ATP gives 13th of december 1982, not september. That's potentially 13 more weeks there.
Litotes is offline  
post #22 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Sure about this one? ATP gives 13th of december 1982, not september. That's potentially 13 more weeks there.
I don't have access to the ATP website here but in my "history file", McEnroe was number 2 (Connors number 1) after the US Open 1982, and I have a hard time to imagine Lendl in the top-2 so late in 1982 whereas Mcenroe finished the year at number 1 in the rankings, and Connors was the "player of the year" (besides I had always read that Connors was number 2 in the end of 1982).

where does the ATP give that ?

useless old guy
duong is offline  
post #23 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,478
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I don't have access to the ATP website here but in my "history file", McEnroe was number 2 (Connors number 1) after the US Open 1982, and I have a hard time to imagine Lendl in the top-2 so late in 1982 whereas Mcenroe finished the year at number 1 in the rankings, and Connors was the "player of the year" (besides I had always read that Connors was number 2 in the end of 1982).

where does the ATP give that ?
Here:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/P...endl.aspx?t=rh
Ten lines from the bottom.

And here:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings...12.1982&r=1&c=

The list for 13/9-82 only contains #1....
Litotes is offline  
post #24 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Here:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/P...endl.aspx?t=rh
Ten lines from the bottom.

And here:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings...12.1982&r=1&c=

The list for 13/9-82 only contains #1....
the ATP doesn't say that Lendl was in the top-2 until the 13th of december 1982, they say nothing about Lendl's ranking between the 11th of january and the 13th of december, which is very different.

For these years where the ranking history doesn't give all of the weeks for each player, you have to look at all of the players to get a better opinion :

- here McEnroe was number 1 on the 1st and 15th of november 1982 : http://www.atpworldtour.com/Finals/2...nroe.aspx?t=rh

- Connors was number 1 on the 13th of september and 8th of november and number 2 on the 15th of november : http://www.atpworldtour.com/Finals/2...nors.aspx?t=rh

Then, already you can be certain that Lendl was not in the top-2 on the 15th of november 1982, which is known for both McEnroe and Connors, and it's very likely that he was not in the top-2 on the 1st of november considering McEnroe was number 1 on the 1st of november and Connors on the 8th of november and before on the 13th of september.

It's possible that Lendl (who had just defeated McEnroe in the US Open semifinal) had got to number 2 after the US Open 1982 until the 1st of november, that would make at most 410 weeks in my calculation.

After the US Open, McEnroe won San Francisco, Sydney, Tokyo and Wembley : maybe that could have given him a jump from number 3 to number 1. I don't know. Personally, I had rather thought that McEnroe had just fallen from number 1 to number 2 then got back to number 1 rather than fallen from number 1 to number 3 and then got back to number 1 but maybe the people who made the wikipedia source know better, I don't know.

useless old guy

Last edited by duong; 11-06-2012 at 09:34 AM.
duong is offline  
post #25 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,478
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
the ATP doesn't say that Lendl was in the top-2 until the 13th of december 1982, they say nothing about Lendl's ranking between the 11th of january and the 13th of december, which is very different.
We are in complete agreement here, only discussing maximum, not probable. Your other dates was identical to ATPs on Lendl's page, that's why I mentioned this. I have myself counted 416 possible weeks once upon a time, and was curious about your 403 as they sounded like you had another source.

A pity the data is not more reliable, but I feel comfident Federer will surpass even Lendl's absolute maximum
Litotes is offline  
post #26 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
We are in complete agreement here, only discussing maximum, not probable. Your other dates was identical to ATPs on Lendl's page, that's why I mentioned this. I have myself counted 416 possible weeks once upon a time, and was curious about your 403 as they sounded like you had another source.

A pity the data is not more reliable, but I feel comfident Federer will surpass even Lendl's absolute maximum
yes yes my maximum was not an "absolute maximum" but it sounded like a "reasonable maximum" to me (because still it may be less : he may have gone out of top-2 many times inside those weeks as the situation between Mac, Connors and Lendl was so often tight during those years), although you made me realize that the situation just in the end of the US Open maybe was more complicated than I had thought.

Yes, let's hope Fed gets to 420

useless old guy
duong is offline  
post #27 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Registered User
 
SUKTUEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HONG KONG
Posts: 27,344
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

SUKTUEN is offline  
post #28 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,478
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Federer as "comeback king":

This year Roger has for the 5th time managed to win more matches than he's lost after losing the opening set - he's 12-8 now and cannot of course lose four more matches.

The other years he managed this was 2004-6 and 2009.

The 12 victories are a personal best. His best % came in 2005 with 87,5% (7-1)!
Litotes is offline  
post #29 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Federer as "comeback king":

This year Roger has for the 5th time managed to win more matches than he's lost after losing the opening set - he's 12-8 now and cannot of course lose four more matches.

The other years he managed this was 2004-6 and 2009.

The 12 victories are a personal best. His best % came in 2005 with 87,5% (7-1)!
yes, this year has been great for that , and especially in the beginning of the year, such matches were very important for him to get to number 1 back.

And it's more impressive in my eyes than 2004-6 because he was just so dominant in that time that he had better chance coming back.

useless old guy
duong is offline  
post #30 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Litotes I wondered how you've got only 560 weeks for Connors in top-3 and 397 consecutive weeks :
I have 595 weeks personally with 507 consecutive from the 3rd of june 1974 to the 20th of february 1984.

When did he fall out of top-3 in that period in your eyes ?

It also seems that you had infos about Lendl's ranking during 1980 and 1981 which are not in Lendl's ranking history on the ATP website : can you tell me these informations ?

useless old guy
duong is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome