Should Roger skip clay this year? - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cylon Base Ship
Posts: 12,385
                     
Should Roger skip clay this year?

Imagine he plays Dubai, IW & Miami and then takes off all April and starts to prepare for grass in late May... He'll be unbeatable in Wimbledon if he does this I think! It's worth the hit to the ranking to try...
FedFan_2007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 PM
.
 
Dini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dreamland
Age: 24
Posts: 19,148
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?



Ridiculous.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won."
Dini is offline  
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Registered User
 
biological's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,385
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

I think the no. 1 ranking is too important to him for a move like that. I agree that it would make his grass season physically better but the mental edge Rafa would get from Roger effectively signing over all the clay events would be a nightmare.
I reckon it would be a bad move, all things considered. If he can win a clay tourney his confidence would rocket and that would be worth more than some extra practice I feel.

ROGER & JANKO & LE MAGICIEN & Stan & A-Rod & Novak & Rafa
biological is offline  
post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,518
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biological View Post
I think the no. 1 ranking is too important to him for a move like that. I agree that it would make his grass season physically better but the mental edge Rafa would get from Roger effectively signing over all the clay events would be a nightmare.
I reckon it would be a bad move, all things considered. If he can win a clay tourney his confidence would rocket and that would be worth more than some extra practice I feel.
Cannot agree with the bolded portion at all. If Roger doesn't meet up with Mugboar, Mugboar can't gain confidence from beating him. Mugboar may feel like all his victories are hollow victories.

I do agree that winning a clay event will help his confidence.
MalwareDie is offline  
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Registered User
 
dootsiez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 36
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Clay is big part of the game. Just because you don't think your chances of winning a title on the surface are all that great doesn't mean you just give up, skip it and try something easier. To be scared of losing, and losing to a particular player isn't just poor sportsmanship, it's poor character, and Roger would never think of it. Pfffttt
dootsiez is offline  
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cylon Base Ship
Posts: 12,385
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dootsiez View Post
Clay is big part of the game. Just because you don't think your chances of winning a title on the surface are all that great doesn't mean you just give up, skip it and try something easier. To be scared of losing, and losing to a particular player isn't just poor sportsmanship, it's poor character, and Roger would never think of it. Pfffttt
But in this case, maybe a strategic tank by skipping the clay season totally throws Nadal off and maybe allows Djokovic to win Roland Garros!

Bottom line, it' time for crazy desperation moves because Roger's window for winning on clay is almost shut. In fact 2009 might be the very last time he contends.
FedFan_2007 is offline  
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Registered User
 
Obey.my.dreamz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 803
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

He's beaten Rafa a LOVE SET on clay.. he can win him I guarantee (on a side that im cheering him,,.am being objective)
I think after this AO,.. he's gonna play almost like he has nothin to lose,..and am sure he'll gonna be a pain in the a** for rafa this season,.. so I'd rather he plays every clay masters(1000series) !! Some people just don't get how good he is on clay,.. its just that he has this monster rafa against,.. look at Sapmras ,..some may say they are the same (both rock on grass and both sux on clay) HELL NO,.. Rog is SICK on clay,.. he reached a final 4 times,.. he would won 4 times hadnt there be nadal,..and plus others clay tours like hambugr ,montecarlo 2008, rome 2006..and all other finals he had play,..
He shouldn't be missing clay season for the world,...!
Obey.my.dreamz is offline  
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cylon Base Ship
Posts: 12,385
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

It just seems that 2008 clay season mentally destroyed him at Wimbledon.
FedFan_2007 is offline  
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Registered User
 
cool bird1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Posts: 375
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

I think roger should do hat ever he wants. But what ever he does do I just want him to stop being scared. I just want him to go and sort out his head.

ANDRE AND HENREY YOU ARE MISSED


ROGER FEDERER
17 GRANDSLAMS AND COUNTING 1 DOUBLES GOLD MEDAL YOU ARE A GOD WHO WALKS WITH MORTALS


RAFA THE KING OF CLAY AND KING OF HEARTS
cool bird1 is offline  
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cylon Base Ship
Posts: 12,385
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool bird1 View Post
I think roger should do hat ever he wants. But what ever he does do I just want him to stop being scared. I just want him to go and sort out his head.
Don't you think he can't get rid of his fear of Nadal for good reasons?

#1 - apparent winners come screaming back for winners by Nadal
#2 - 5hr14 minute match doesn't faze Nadal for the final(fitness monster)

Don't you think he's justifiably intimidated?
FedFan_2007 is offline  
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Registered User
 
cool bird1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Posts: 375
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedFan_2007 View Post
Don't you think he can't get rid of his fear of Nadal for good reasons?

#1 - apparent winners come screaming back for winners by Nadal
#2 - 5hr14 minute match doesn't faze Nadal for the final(fitness monster)

Don't you think he's justifiably intimidated?
No I dont. I would be thinking ok you got that one get this one. Or can you get this drop shot. Or that Im gonna be out here til the sun comes out if that what it takes.

ANDRE AND HENREY YOU ARE MISSED


ROGER FEDERER
17 GRANDSLAMS AND COUNTING 1 DOUBLES GOLD MEDAL YOU ARE A GOD WHO WALKS WITH MORTALS


RAFA THE KING OF CLAY AND KING OF HEARTS
cool bird1 is offline  
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cylon Base Ship
Posts: 12,385
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool bird1 View Post
No I dont. I would be thinking ok you got that one get this one. Or can you get this drop shot. Or that Im gonna be out here til the sun comes out if that what it takes.
Yeah but does he have the fitness to engage in that mindset? Nadal is like - "I relish the fight and will fight you for 10 hours if need be", whereas I don't get that vibe from Federer. He wants to be out of there as quickly as possible.
FedFan_2007 is offline  
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Registered User
 
cool bird1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Posts: 375
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedFan_2007 View Post
Yeah but does he have the fitness to engage in that mindset? Nadal is like - "I relish the fight and will fight you for 10 hours if need be", whereas I don't get that vibe from Federer. He wants to be out of there as quickly as possible.

Well all I can say to that is if Federer is not willing to stay out there one more hour more then Nadal or anyone then maybe its time to rethink things.

ANDRE AND HENREY YOU ARE MISSED


ROGER FEDERER
17 GRANDSLAMS AND COUNTING 1 DOUBLES GOLD MEDAL YOU ARE A GOD WHO WALKS WITH MORTALS


RAFA THE KING OF CLAY AND KING OF HEARTS
cool bird1 is offline  
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cylon Base Ship
Posts: 12,385
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool bird1 View Post
Well all I can say to that is if Federer is not willing to stay out there one more hour more then Nadal or anyone then maybe its time to rethink things.
That's what hiring a new coach could do - tell Roger these things! I think Roger lives in a bubble of yes-people and worshipers who are afraid to tell Roger what he needs to hear! I don't think he needs a technical guy, because nobody is smarter in tennis then Roger in terms of forehands/backhands/serves/footwork. He needs a mental coach only, some guy who will push him!
FedFan_2007 is offline  
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Registered User
 
cool bird1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Posts: 375
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

I dont know its not for me to say. But I was thinking if you where Roger coach what could you say to him.
I dont think there is anyone out there who could get him out of his slump with Nadal. He is well inside Federer head and everyone knows it

ANDRE AND HENREY YOU ARE MISSED


ROGER FEDERER
17 GRANDSLAMS AND COUNTING 1 DOUBLES GOLD MEDAL YOU ARE A GOD WHO WALKS WITH MORTALS


RAFA THE KING OF CLAY AND KING OF HEARTS
cool bird1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome