Should Roger skip clay this year? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Registered User
 
juninhOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 1,640
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Every player has pains. It's not like Roger is the only one. He can win titles despite his back. He has not been losing because of his back.
juninhOH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 PM
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,909
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juninhOH View Post
Every player has pains. It's not like Roger is the only one. He can win titles despite his back. He has not been losing because of his back.
And how would you know that?

nobama is offline  
post #33 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Anathemaniac
 
Sunset of Age's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Wall.
Posts: 41,908
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
And how would you know that?
If you believe René Stauffer in his biography of Roger, his back has been troubleing him on-and-off during his entire career. It's not something that has only been there since November 2007...

"It's getting colder, I'm getting colder, older, it's getting colder...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"


"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline  
post #34 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Registered User
 
tennisfan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 502
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Its only my op, but if he skipped the entire clay season RG and went on to win Wimby and the Open, the press and many in the tennis world would still be all over him for it. They would call him a quitter on clay, say his record is tainted blah blah blah. While I don't like his chances, if he comes through with a win at RG, its going to be huge. Alot of people will lay off and give the man as much credit as his fans know he deserves. If I had to choose only one slam for him to win this year, its RG. Win RG, lose Wimby and the Open its still a great year.

Federer Gasquet
tennisfan444 is offline  
post #35 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Registered User
 
rofe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,789
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan444 View Post
Its only my op, but if he skipped the entire clay season RG and went on to win Wimby and the Open, the press and many in the tennis world would still be all over him for it. They would call him a quitter on clay, say his record is tainted blah blah blah. While I don't like his chances, if he comes through with a win at RG, its going to be huge. Alot of people will lay off and give the man as much credit as his fans know he deserves. If I had to choose only one slam for him to win this year, its RG. Win RG, lose Wimby and the Open its still a great year.
That guy in your avatar needs to come to 2009.

Need ideas for a new signature...
rofe is offline  
post #36 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:21 AM
Registered User
 
wackykid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 39
Posts: 531
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timafi View Post
unlike Roddick and his countrymen,Roger has been the 2nd best clay court player behind Nadal,for years now.He has the results to back him up.Why should he skip it?
agree... and he might do even better in clay compare to hard courts this year... where he seems to be finding problem defeating murray... djoko... and nadal... but on clay murray and djoko have not shown to be able to play on that surface... so clay is the best bet for federer to at least stay on at no.2....


regards,
wacky
wackykid is offline  
post #37 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cylon Base Ship
Posts: 12,385
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

The upshot on clay is that you can't many winners on this surface anyways, so Fed can focus on just hitting solid groundstrokes.
FedFan_2007 is offline  
post #38 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Registered User
 
Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 62,729
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

No, Roger shouldnt skip the clay season. He got a chance to win RG beating the pig in the final..




~~~Roger Federer (17 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010, Wimbledon 2012 ~~~

Daniel is offline  
post #39 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,909
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
If you believe René Stauffer in his biography of Roger, his back has been troubleing him on-and-off during his entire career. It's not something that has only been there since November 2007...
I didn't say that. But I don't know how people on the sidelines can make blanket statements like that. We can all have our theories, but none of us know for sure why he's in the slump he is right now.

nobama is offline  
post #40 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cylon Base Ship
Posts: 12,385
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Mellow - you of little faith.
FedFan_2007 is offline  
post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Registered User
 
juninhOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 1,640
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Well I don't know, MY.

I just think he isn't losing because of his back. His game is still there. Just all out of a sudden it goes off and he loses.

DAMNNNNNN I can't believe I'll have to wait for almost a month to see him playing again. That's sad!
juninhOH is offline  
post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Registered User
 
Rita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 7,163
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Well i'd rather see him mentally refreshed (hopefully )in one month than see him perform the kind of tennis he played last week

Fedmug


Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline  
post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Registered User
 
timafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,436
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juninhOH View Post
Well I don't know, MY.

I just think he isn't losing because of his back. His game is still there. Just all out of a sudden it goes off and he loses.

DAMNNNNNN I can't believe I'll have to wait for almost a month to see him playing again. That's sad!
I know but in the meantime let's hope that as soon as this week;he'll start working hard on his weaknesses.(even Roddick's 2 hander has improved compared to Roger's and it pains me to say that)
Roger's game is still very much there people;we've seen flashes of brilliance on his part
I'm just asking myself why he can't hook up with Cahill during the clay and grass court seasons in Europe and work with Cahill during the summer.I mean Cahill is always there so why not

Melania Trump who is not qualified to shine Michelle Obama's shoes might very well be the first semi-literate AND vapid First Lady of the US
timafi is offline  
post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,103
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Isn't Cahill signed with Adidas now so that he's only allowed to coach players sponsored by Adidas, kind of the same deal as Sven Groenefeld. So I don't think it's possible for Roger and Cahill to work together, plus they couldn't come to an agreement about a coaching relationship before IW, I don't quite see how that would change now
anon57 is offline  
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Anathemaniac
 
Sunset of Age's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Wall.
Posts: 41,908
                     
Re: Should Roger skip clay this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon57 View Post
Isn't Cahill signed with Adidas now so that he's only allowed to coach players sponsored by Adidas, kind of the same deal as Sven Groenefeld. So I don't think it's possible for Roger and Cahill to work together, plus they couldn't come to an agreement about a coaching relationship before IW, I don't quite see how that would change now
That's a very interesting take on the Cahill situation, Kim. I guess you are right - it was more than ' just' the traveling problems that hindered the coopertation. Believed so right from the start... threre's a lot of rubbish involved in such contracts - pay-off money, etc.
In any case, it is a sad situation indeed.

"It's getting colder, I'm getting colder, older, it's getting colder...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"


"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome