madrid - Page 23 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #331 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Comparisons are Odious
 
mangoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Catching the vigorous horse of my mind......
Posts: 10,541
                     
Re: madrid

Too good from Nalbandian today in the 2nd and 3rd set. It's a pity this wasn't best of 5. I'd wager money Nalby couldn't keep that level up Nevertheless, we all knew Nalby was capable of this. Roger simply didn't move into another gear when Nalby started to bring it to him. Oh Well!! Please win Basel Roger so that this no. 1 can be tied up


MIRKALAND:

Remember you made the joke that everytime I predict Roger is going to lose a tournament, he goes on to win. This time I actually thought he was going to win



Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #332 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
This is what bothers me. I didn't see any fire in Roger's belly in that third set. No 'come on', no fist pump no nothing. Nalbandian looked fired up, Roger looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.
Federer always gets this way when Dave puts pressure on him. ALWAYS. Fed gets frustrated against Nadal because he figures he should beat him, but when Nalbandian plays well, it worries Fed because Fed pretty much has to change his game.

Federer has kicked Nalbandian around for the past few years because he has improved his BH and Nalbandian would always serve weakly giving Fed some chances. Today, Nalbandian served well and harldy missed. What Federer needed to do was change his gameplan and attack the net more and see if he could draw some errors or snag a few volleys. It is very, very difficult to hang with Nalbandian when he's hitting like he was on an indoor court.

Fed will be fine. It's dissapointing that he didn't get to nearly close out the #1 for the year, but oh well. There could be a re-match in Basel next week. Nalbandian, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic....those are the four players that can bother Federer and beat him. To this day, I am a bit relieved when I see Nalbandian on the other side of the draw when TMS events and Slams roll around.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #333 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:26 PM
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,909
                     
Re: madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuster View Post
The only thing that got me truly worried is that I thought that Rogi looked very unconcentrated, irritated, perhaps even frustrated today. Not a good sign, I'd rather not see the Return of Headcase!Roger...
I guess that's what I meant. Maybe not caring isn't the right words. But I prefer the Roger who's trying to pump himself up not one that is irritated and frustrated.

I guess this was just Fat Dave's week....taking out Nadal, Djoker and now Roger.

nobama is offline  
post #334 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: madrid

^mirkaland, it's Nalbandian's game that did it. Nobody else can quite do it like that. Fed knows he has to play completely differently when Nalbandian plays like that. He picks up Fed's serve, he knows where Fed is hitting and anticipates well, hits well on the run, the crazy angles...brings back bad memories for the Fed.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #335 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:31 PM
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,909
                     
Re: madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
Federer always gets this way when Dave puts pressure on him. ALWAYS. Fed gets frustrated against Nadal because he figures he should beat him, but when Nalbandian plays well, it worries Fed because Fed pretty much has to change his game.

Federer has kicked Nalbandian around for the past few years because he has improved his BH and Nalbandian would always serve weakly giving Fed some chances. Today, Nalbandian served well and harldy missed. What Federer needed to do was change his gameplan and attack the net more and see if he could draw some errors or snag a few volleys. It is very, very difficult to hang with Nalbandian when he's hitting like he was on an indoor court.

Fed will be fine. It's dissapointing that he didn't get to nearly close out the #1 for the year, but oh well. There could be a re-match in Basel next week. Nalbandian, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic....those are the four players that can bother Federer and beat him. To this day, I am a bit relieved when I see Nalbandian on the other side of the draw when TMS events and Slams roll around.
I know Roger will be fine. Fat Dave played well but I still think Roger could have won the match, even in straights and that's what frustrates me.

nobama is offline  
post #336 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Comparisons are Odious
 
mangoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Catching the vigorous horse of my mind......
Posts: 10,541
                     
Re: madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post

Fed will be fine. It's dissapointing that he didn't get to nearly close out the #1 for the year, but oh well. There could be a re-match in Basel next week. Nalbandian, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic....those are the four players that can bother Federer and beat him. To this day, I am a bit relieved when I see Nalbandian on the other side of the draw when TMS events and Slams roll around.
I also don't think this is going to bother Roger so very much. The biggest disappointment is him not getting nearer to closing out his no. 1 ranking.



Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline  
post #337 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Mechlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,153
                     
Re: madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
I guess that's what I meant. Maybe not caring isn't the right words. But I prefer the Roger who's trying to pump himself up not one that is irritated and frustrated.

I guess this was just Fat Dave's week....taking out Nadal, Djoker and now Roger.
Consciously or not, I think these events have become less important to Roger. If this was a best of 5 match at a GS, I guarantee you Roger would not have lost that third set so meekly.
Mechlan is offline  
post #338 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,468
                     
Re: madrid

Nalbandian played great. I'm actually not so sad that Roger lost. I'm kind of in a positive mood that Nalbandian can recover his form like he showed today or this week. When he is playing well, he is good to watch.

But Roger...He looked clueless in the 3rd set. No confidence at all, serving bad, returning worse, rallying hopeless...Though Nalbandian did play very well, I don't think his dropped form in the 3rd set was all because of Nalbandian.

Oh well, just a "small" tournament, not GS...

I hope he can play Paris this year.
yanchr is offline  
post #339 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Comparisons are Odious
 
mangoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Catching the vigorous horse of my mind......
Posts: 10,541
                     
Re: madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
I know Roger will be fine. Fat Dave played well but I still think Roger could have won the match, even in straights and that's what frustrates me.
Roger needed to have not gotten broken in that second set..........so that's a bit on him. For sure, Roger could have won the match in 2 set, but he gave Nalby a slight opening, Nalby took it and was simply too strong for Roger to break back.

Personally, I don't care so much anymore about these losses. Roger has had a good year.....and the plus is that if he closes out the year no. 1, he is not only defending points next year but can gain. I now care only about the no. 1 and GSs.



Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline  
post #340 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Registered User
 
World Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,922
                     
Re: madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
Federer always gets this way when Dave puts pressure on him. ALWAYS. Fed gets frustrated against Nadal because he figures he should beat him, but when Nalbandian plays well, it worries Fed because Fed pretty much has to change his game.

Federer has kicked Nalbandian around for the past few years because he has improved his BH and Nalbandian would always serve weakly giving Fed some chances. Today, Nalbandian served well and harldy missed. What Federer needed to do was change his gameplan and attack the net more and see if he could draw some errors or snag a few volleys. It is very, very difficult to hang with Nalbandian when he's hitting like he was on an indoor court.

Fed will be fine. It's dissapointing that he didn't get to nearly close out the #1 for the year, but oh well. There could be a re-match in Basel next week. Nalbandian, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic....those are the four players that can bother Federer and beat him. To this day, I am a bit relieved when I see Nalbandian on the other side of the draw when TMS events and Slams roll around.
Thats a tough decision for federer to make against bandy because he believed that was the key reason he lost to bandy so many times early.

What should federer do?

Should he hope his rhythm comes back from the baseline or should he start chipping and charging or..?

Ive seen federer - bandy matches in the past where federer was being dominated from the baseline for periods, and federer has elected to stay at the baseline. For the most part it has paid dividends, but when david starts serving like he did today, it becomes tough.

I was disappointed that federer started slicing all those bh returns when he was having success in the 1st stepping in and taking control. I understand that federer thinks the slice is effective against bandy and it is, because of how relatively flat nalbandian hits the ball, but he was just slicing too much. After the second set, federer was on the back foot on the fh the whole time. I dont even know if he hit any winners on the fh.

There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

-Richard Feynman

World Beater is offline  
post #341 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:37 PM
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,909
                     
Re: madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
^mirkaland, it's Nalbandian's game that did it. Nobody else can quite do it like that. Fed knows he has to play completely differently when Nalbandian plays like that. He picks up Fed's serve, he knows where Fed is hitting and anticipates well, hits well on the run, the crazy angles...brings back bad memories for the Fed.
I know what your saying and I don't disagree, but Fat Dave really hasn't done shit this year. The last few times he's played Roger he was beaten quite easily. Yeah I know when he's 'on' and playing well he's tough for anyone but I still think this match was winable for Roger. Like you said earlier, Roger needed to change his game plan and he didn't do it. That's what frustrates me.

nobama is offline  
post #342 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: madrid

It will be interesting to see the transcript of this one.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #343 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Registered User
 
Or Levy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,082
                     
Re: madrid

Well. That was depressing.

I did not think he looked good from the first ball, the serve was down, he made much more errors, seemed grumpy even in the first set, and the sprinkles thing draw no humor out of him. I mean, when was the last time we've seen him standing there with his arms crossed, looking totally peeved?

And the last few games... ACK. He just kept missing, reminded me of IW or Miami there for a second. Odd, consider how badly Nalby owned him, when was the last time one of THESE GUYS managed to do anything against Roger?

I mean - he looked SO good throughout the tournament, only to lose in the final. I give Nalby credit, but not that much credit, at the end - Roger gift-wrapped the match for him.
Or Levy is offline  
post #344 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater View Post
Thats a tough decision for federer to make against bandy because he believed that was the key reason he lost to bandy so many times early.

What should federer do?

Should he hope his rhythm comes back from the baseline or should he start chipping and charging or..?

Ive seen federer - bandy matches in the past where federer was being dominated from the baseline for periods, and federer has elected to stay at the baseline. For the most part it has paid dividends, but when david starts serving like he did today, it becomes tough.

I was disappointed that federer started slicing all those bh returns when he was having success in the 1st stepping in and taking control. I understand that federer thinks the slice is effective against bandy and it is, because of how relatively flat nalbandian hits the ball, but he was just slicing too much. After the second set, federer was on the back foot on the fh the whole time. I dont even know if he hit any winners on the fh.
This is true. This strategy paid off last year the TMC after the 1st set, and also paid off in the 2005 TMC where Dave imploded but Fed couldn't serve it out. I think the difference here is that Fed should've realized that Dave is not going to implode this week. It would've been a different story if this were a QF match. Fed knew going in that this guy took apart Nadal and Djoke.

You're right about the returns though. All week he has shown an effective power drive BH return and it's a mystery why he doesn't use it more, especially when slicing the ball wasn't working as he got ran around on Nalbandian's serve.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #345 of 435 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:42 PM
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,909
                     
Re: madrid

This pic sums up the day perfectly.


nobama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome