Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!! - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Warriorroger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Netherlands
Age: 45
Posts: 926
                     
Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Just realised that Roger Federer is about to break Steffi's record as number one for 186 consecutive weeks. Although he is my favorite next to Steffi I wished the record would stay intact. This is different when Davenport collects a couple of dollars for the first position amongst the women's prize money leaders.

Steffi Graf and Roger Federer
The two greatest tennisplayers
Warriorroger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Can't be bothered anymore
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 41
Posts: 22,996
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Don't be disappointed that Roger takes the record from Steffi. It doesn't take anything away from Steffis achievements
Eden is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Warriorroger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Netherlands
Age: 45
Posts: 926
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Don't be disappointed that Roger takes the record from Steffi. It doesn't take anything away from Steffis achievements
That's so nice of you to say! I stopped watching tennis when Steffi retired, but since years I like it again because of Roger. He reminds me so much of her. I know they have different personalities, but there are some similarities. Their footwork is the best I ahve ever seen. I am still hoping someone can make a video combining their movement with the song ''Far from over'' by Frank Stallone.

Thanks for the reply.

Steffi Graf and Roger Federer
The two greatest tennisplayers
Warriorroger is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Registered User
 
Fed Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 28
Posts: 1,179
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Isn't it already broken? He is now at 187? Or not?

Edit:
If I am right he is at 186 now. So yes, the record is (defenitely) going to get broken.

Australian Open - 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010
Roland Garros - 2009
Wimbledon - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
US Open - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
Fed Express is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Warriorroger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Netherlands
Age: 45
Posts: 926
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Express View Post
Isn't it already broken? He is now at 187? Or not?
His current lead in the rankings guarantees that on August 27, 2007 he will break Steffi Graf's record for most consecutive weeks (186) as the top-ranked male or female player. In 2007, he was named Laureus World Sportsman of the Year for a record third consecutive time.

Steffi Graf and Roger Federer
The two greatest tennisplayers

Last edited by Warriorroger; 08-23-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Warriorroger is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 02:36 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
lunahielo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In the bottom left corner of my computer..
Posts: 6,554
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

I hope he keeps on breaking record after record!
luna

Allez
Roger



Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Mammoths
 
Omnipotence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,710
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Hey Warriorroger... I am pretty sure Steffi will keep her GS singles titles record. :P
Omnipotence is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Registered User
 
natasha_nana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,011
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorroger View Post
I stopped watching tennis when Steffi retired, but since years I like it again because of Roger. He reminds me so much of her. I know they have different personalities, but there are some similarities. Their footwork is the best I ahve ever seen.
You know I was exactly like you...after Steffi retired in 1999 I stopped caring about tennis.
I still always watched Wimbledon...but that was it...Roger changed all that though.

So yeah, in my opinion...if there is one person who is deserving of equalling and breaking Steffi's record(s) it is Roger Federer.
If it was anyone else...I might be a bit upset too...but Roger is truly deserving.

I see similarities in both of them too...though I think Steffi was far more mentally tough than Roger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Express View Post
Isn't it already broken? He is now at 187? Or not?

Edit:
If I am right he is at 186 now. So yes, the record is (defenitely) going to get broken.
Yes this Monday marked the completion of 186 weeks. On the 27th of August it will be 187 and the new record


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxygene7 View Post
I am pretty sure Steffi will keep her GS singles titles record. :P
haha yeah I dont think even Roger will be able to break that one...though you never know...if there is someone who could potentially do it, it's him.

But yeah, Roger was saying how in the Womens game the records are always so much larger than in the mens...
so for him to be breaking a womens all-time record...and making it THE record for all of tennis, is really quite something...

- "Most athletes are physically prepared for their competition - the Champions are the ones who are mentally prepared." -
natasha_nana is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Warriorroger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Netherlands
Age: 45
Posts: 926
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_nana View Post
You know I was exactly like you...after Steffi retired in 1999 I stopped caring about tennis.
I still always watched Wimbledon...but that was it...Roger changed all that though.

So yeah, in my opinion...if there is one person who is deserving of equalling and breaking Steffi's record(s) it is Roger Federer.
If it was anyone else...I might be a bit upset too...but Roger is truly deserving.

I see similarities in both of them too...though I think Steffi was far more mentally tough than Roger.



Yes this Monday marked the completion of 186 weeks. On the 27th of August it will be 187 and the new record




haha yeah I dont think even Roger will be able to break that one...though you never know...if there is someone who could potentially do it, it's him.

But yeah, Roger was saying how in the Womens game the records are always so much larger than in the mens...
so for him to be breaking a womens all-time record...and making it THE record for all of tennis, is really quite something...
Oh great to read you have some the same sentiments about Steffi Graf and Roger Federer. Yet in the mental department she was something else. I was thinking that when I watched the RG final 2006 between Nadal and Federer. Nadal is a Sancheze Vicario/Sabatini with power like player and Roger just stops believing he can win. Steffi Graf never showed that. That is something I only I have seen once in the long career of Graf and that was in her final match at Wimbledon. That is the only time I saw Graf not really intense any more, which is strange if you watched her match with Venus in the quarters.

Roger and Steffi share a couple of mannerism. They way they look when they missed a shot,with the head up. Also the footwork, they are the only two players who remind me of dancers. Another similarity is that both have such a beautiful tennisbody. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the Federer - Nadal matches always make me think of the Graf - Sabatini matches.

Steffi Graf and Roger Federer
The two greatest tennisplayers
Warriorroger is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Registered User
 
SUKTUEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HONG KONG
Posts: 27,390
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

he will break it!!
SUKTUEN is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Warriorroger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Netherlands
Age: 45
Posts: 926
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post
he will break it!!
Well if there is one person great enough to follow into the footsteps of tennislegend Steffi Graf it may be Roger. I hope he stays away from her total record though . I love Roger, but I love Steffi more.

Steffi Graf and Roger Federer
The two greatest tennisplayers
Warriorroger is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Registered User
 
SUKTUEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HONG KONG
Posts: 27,390
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorroger View Post
Well if there is one person great enough to follow into the footsteps of tennislegend Steffi Graf it may be Roger. I hope he stays away from her total record though . I love Roger, but I love Steffi more.

I understand your feeling~~
I lovve Sampras, but I Lover Roger more~~~~
SUKTUEN is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Registered User
 
Nadl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: near Vienna
Age: 26
Posts: 1,132
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Don't be disappointed that Roger takes the record from Steffi. It doesn't take anything away from Steffis achievements
agreed.
both are amazing tennis players

amelie

roger
Nadl is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Can't be bothered anymore
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 41
Posts: 22,996
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorroger View Post
Oh great to read you have some the same sentiments about Steffi Graf and Roger Federer. Yet in the mental department she was something else. I was thinking that when I watched the RG final 2006 between Nadal and Federer. Nadal is a Sancheze Vicario/Sabatini with power like player and Roger just stops believing he can win. Steffi Graf never showed that. That is something I only I have seen once in the long career of Graf and that was in her final match at Wimbledon. That is the only time I saw Graf not really intense any more, which is strange if you watched her match with Venus in the quarters.
Well, you should know that she was a bit diverted at that time She has just fallen in love with Andre. Beside this I think she was already at a point in her career where she knew that tennis wasn't the same for her as some years ago. Due to her injuries she had to take a break several times. Her life wasn't really easy with all the private stuff going on and of course the terrible attack from Günter Parche on Monica Seles.

I was watching women tennis through Steffis whole career, but just followed it occasionally since her retirement. I'm so happy for her that she found her place in life with Andre and her kids. Whoever thought she would be able to give up tennis so easily?
Eden is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Warriorroger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Netherlands
Age: 45
Posts: 926
                     
Re: Roger Federer will break a Steffi Graf record!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Well, you should know that she was a bit diverted at that time She has just fallen in love with Andre. Beside this I think she was already at a point in her career where she knew that tennis wasn't the same for her as some years ago. Due to her injuries she had to take a break several times. Her life wasn't really easy with all the private stuff going on and of course the terrible attack from Günter Parche on Monica Seles.

I was watching women tennis through Steffis whole career, but just followed it occasionally since her retirement. I'm so happy for her that she found her place in life with Andre and her kids. Whoever thought she would be able to give up tennis so easily?
Yeah, I would have never thought that. She was a Warrior until the end though. The last match we've seen the Great Graf was her quarterfinal match against Venus, and after that she just checked out. I have so much respect for her, she played through a lot of pshycial and mental pain. But she was such a proud warrior to watch. She gets a lot a attacks on many forums, and that is so wrong. She played and beat three generations of players. Her footwork and forehand, were art in my eyes. I miss her. I miss that forehand and footwork. But at least we have Roger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSYVCuXxiAo

Steffi Graf and Roger Federer
The two greatest tennisplayers
Warriorroger is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome