he needs to play like that for next few years... gain no.1 ranking... win a whole lot of grand slams... to be even considered.
but there are a few things on priority in mind (as far as being fed's fan is concerned) :
1) win french
2) maintain no. 1 position and break all-time most no of weeks record
3) break sampras 14 slams record
(3) should not be a problem... he has won 12 slams over 5 years... as long as he doesn't quit within next 1-2 years i don't see too much problem to win 3 slams or more in his remaining career unless someone else starts to dominate like federer...
(1) is looking hard... i thought that this year is the best chance of winning... and if he doesn't win french this year... age will start catching up with him...
(2) may be a problem... yes he may be on top for record consecutive 197 weeks... but that is still 89 weeks or sampras's 286 weeks... if he gets his no.1 spot overtaken within this period... it's hard to tell if he will ever regain back no. 1 again.
anyway this thread is about his ranking points... i just hope that he can continue to maintain a comfortable gap in the points to ensure (2) ...