Mens Tennis Forums banner

Madrid Final: Juan Carlos Ferrero def. Nicolas Massu 6-3 6-4 6-3!

3K views 64 replies 19 participants last post by  esther 
#1 · (Edited)
Vamos Juan Carlos! :D

Let's keep up with him here.

#27 ·
Re: Juan Carlos in Madrid

juancui played great beating ferrerira and mantilla!

i hope he'll bring home the title.

stay world no. 1 JUANCUI!!

cograts to NICO MASSU for whipping andy Roddick's butt!!!

not that i don't like andy, it was justthat i'm bitter at the US OPEN damn it!!!!

#30 ·
Re: Re: Juan Carlos in Madrid

Still #1 after all, despite common belief that he'll hand it to Pandy in Madrid. I think Juanqui is determined that he won't hand his #1 to anyone, if anyone wants it, they really have to take it away from him.

So Federer tomorrow, I'm excited about the matchup, but seriously worry at the same time. Of course, Rogi being one of, if not the, best indoor player among the top guys. I really hate this part of the draw, when the best 2 players have to meet before the final. Oh well, could have been worse, could have been Juanqui's nemesis Vowelman facing him tomorrow if he was on the other side of the draw. Come to think of it, it would be truly depressing if JC gets to the final only to see that he has to face Vowelman to get the win. So on that note, keep going, Massu.

VAMOS JUANQUI.

#32 ·

Ferrero clings on as world leader

Richard Jago in Madrid
Saturday October 18, 2003
The Guardian

Juan Carlos Ferrero must be surprised he is still world No1. First of all it depended upon the double fault which Wayne Ferreira served against him on match point and then upon Andy Roddick's startling implosion against the little-known Chilean Nicolas Massu.

Then Ferrero was obliged to set aside the indignity triggered by the belated arrival of David Beckham and Roberto Carlos, which caused the centre court crowd to display an approval rating significantly higher than that which the Spaniard had himself been enjoying and interrupting his match for several minutes.

Ferrero has also had to cope with a painful foot, a tired body and moderate form, plus the knowledge that the home crowd can articulate a wide range of groans and grumbles whenever he makes a mistake.

Yet the 22-year-old nicknamed "little kid" showed himself a big boy in attitude as well as in status yesterday, a calm and measured performance carrying him to a 6-4, 6-2 win over Paradorn Scrichaphan and into the semi-finals of the Masters Series.

That meant Roddick will have to wait at least another week, and probably two, before getting another chance to reach the summit.

Ferrero was placidly athletic and showed that his weight on the first serve, his touch on the volley and willingness to come forward have all developed. He still tended to make too many unforced errors but Srichaphan was making even more.

#34 ·

I thought this article was a bit demeaning, myself. But I am happy to hear that Juan Carlos is continuously improving up at net. I remember watching the last couple games of his match against Kucera in Montreal and he was missing some easy put-away volleys.

Damn Feliciano Lopez for not beating Federer for us today. He had a set lead and then a 0-40 chance in the 2nd but blew it! :( Roger pretty much creamed Juanqui the last two times that they played and I admit that I expect the same dismal result tomorrow. Federer may not be at his best, but neither is Ferrero, according to all these reports.

Too bad Sebby didn't win today. Would have made me really happy since I seriously want him to qualify for the Masters Cup (then I'll have 3 to cheer for! :D).

Yeah, Vera, that would suck if Ferrero reached the final only to lose to the Vowel Man. But, remember, he did beat El Aynaoui relatively easily the last time they played in August. And it's nhot like Massu would be easy either. I've always thought that Nico was a dangerous player on all surfaces, ever since he pushed Andre to 4 sets at the Open a few years back. And he's still only 23! I actually thought Massu was around 26 by now.

Anyway, to wrap it up: Vamos Ferrero! Prove me wrong and take home Madrid! :bounce:

#35 ·
If Juanqui beats Rogi tomorrow, he HAS to win it all! No sense making the final only to lose! I hate that!

It's more important for Juanqui to win the whole thing and retain #1 than for Rogi to win it -- better for Rogi to save himself for BASEL next week -- that's his real goal -- to win at home in his own city. Even if he won Madrid, he w not make #1 anyway... I w not bother myself... TMC is more important I think, for Rogi AND Juanqui.

VAMOS both guys! I love them both!

Can't wait to see it tomorrow but will be more nervous than I was for Rogi today... :p

#36 ·

Well, this is relatively positive in the Brit’s standard. Brits never really bothered to talk about Ferrero, if they have anything to say, usually not any good. Dunno why, maybe bcos they don’t like Spanish players in general for most of them skipping Wimby. Anywayz.

It seems Juanqui played a better match today, and played the net often than usual. But I also have to give the edge to Rogi. He didn’t look comfortable today at the beginning but certainly play himself into form, and he’s cool as a cucumber on those big points. I won’t take that loss in Rome too seriously though bcos JC was quite injured in that match. Though last year in Shanghai when he got clipped by Rogi was probably a better indicator.

I’m upset about Seb’s loss too. I really hope he gets to Houston. So hopefully, he will do his magic in Paris, like he did couple of years ago.

I’m sure Massu is tough too, he’s playing very well, no doubt. But he’s not a thread yet to Houston so if he beat Younes, he’s not going to take over Seb in the race, I think. We’ll see tomorrow. If Ferrero can get past Federer, I think he’ll be very inspired to get the title even if he has to face his nemesis.

If Juanqui wins Madrid, he will likely goes to Houston on even term with Pandy. Giving that Houston is now an OUTDOOR hardcourt :rolleyes: event, all the advantage towards Pandy, Juanqui needs as much points as he can get before Houston. And since he’s not that good on carpet, this title is very important, I almost think this is a must-win, critical to his chance to get the yearend #1. Well, we’ll see tomorrow how he does against Rogi. To me, he’s the most determined of all 3 to get the number 1 title, so I really hope he’ll get it at the end (and of course also bcos he’s my fave ;) ).

Having said all that, I guess I won't be too surprised if he got creamed by Rogi :eek: , nor would I be too upset about that. But I'll hope for the best. :D

#37 ·

Vera said:
Ferrero clings on as world leader

Richard Jago in Madrid
Saturday October 18, 2003
The Guardian

Juan Carlos Ferrero must be surprised he is still world No1. First of all it depended upon the double fault which Wayne Ferreira served against him on match point and then upon Andy Roddick's startling implosion against the little-known Chilean Nicolas Massu.

Then Ferrero was obliged to set aside the indignity triggered by the belated arrival of David Beckham and Roberto Carlos, which caused the centre court crowd to display an approval rating significantly higher than that which the Spaniard had himself been enjoying and interrupting his match for several minutes.

Ferrero has also had to cope with a painful foot, a tired body and moderate form, plus the knowledge that the home crowd can articulate a wide range of groans and grumbles whenever he makes a mistake.

Yet the 22-year-old nicknamed "little kid" showed himself a big boy in attitude as well as in status yesterday, a calm and measured performance carrying him to a 6-4, 6-2 win over Paradorn Scrichaphan and into the semi-finals of the Masters Series.

That meant Roddick will have to wait at least another week, and probably two, before getting another chance to reach the summit.

Ferrero was placidly athletic and showed that his weight on the first serve, his touch on the volley and willingness to come forward have all developed. He still tended to make too many unforced errors but Srichaphan was making even more.
lol. i just love british journalists :haha:
when i grow up i wanna be a british tabloid journo :rolleyes: ;)

#43 ·

Things look much better now :D

Entry points:

#1 Juan Carlos Ferrero 4,420 (4570 if he gets the title)
#2 Andy Roddick 4,235
#3 Roger Federer 3,925

Now the real fight is between Andy and JuanCar... I'm afraid Roger would need a miracle to end the year as world No.1

#44 ·

Well done JC for winning ur match today against Roger, I knew it would be a tough match but u pulled through! Its amazing that ne british newspaper has written nethin in bout Ferrero as no one really takes ne notice like some of you hav sed before. Good Luck in the final against Massu (who shares my b-day) and I hope u win!! Vamos!

#45 ·

If he wins the title he'll be #1 on the champions race and have the momentum going into the last events of the year. If he loses to Massu I'll be pretty disappointed... the event was really weak but he beat the other best player in the draw in Federer, and I think that by that he should get the title.

Vamos!

#46 ·

welcome anita!

i was lucky to see ferreros match last night and it was good of him to get thru the third set because he had a bad game at the end of the second where he questioned two line calles and after that was really mad and didnt start the start of the third like he was relaly with it and just when u thought jc was goign to be the one to crack federer started to throw in a few double faults and errors so in a way he was lucky that federer didnt lift his game or he wouldnt have been able to keep up.

GOOD LUCK AGAINST MASSU...massu is in my good books coz he defeated roddick but he cant beat ferrero too! should be interesting match..

#47 ·

I also thought he was gonna crack too, after he lost his cool and gave that second set away, started the 3rd with his head hanging a bit, I really thought that was it that Rogi's gonna sail home. And Federer looked like he's getting a good grip of returning Juanqui's serves in the 2nd set. But I would also credit Juanqui for picking up his game in the 3rd set. Federer DFs to 0-30 but managed to get back to 30-30. Then Juanqui kept going for his shots and that 2 beautiful return winners got him the break. And he played more aggressive on his serve too in the 3rd set, taking risks and going for the winners in some big points. I thought they both played great. Rogi is so fast, I mean, Juanqui is known to be fast but Rogi moved around the court so effortlessly.

I kept wondering what's going thru his mind when serving for the set. Those attempted drop shots makes me cringe, reminded me of how he lost Shanghai to Hewitt playing one too many of those drop shot. Anywayz, a little scare at the end but he managed not to choke all his match points away :p .

After such great effort to win this match, I can't imagine if he loses tomorrow. So pls, Juanqui, take the title tomorrow to finish your spanish tournament trophies collection, por favor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.