Do You Believe In A "God"? - Page 42 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A "God"?
Yes, I'm a Theist (Believe in holy revelation via a "Holy Book") 58 19.14%
Yes, I'm a Deist (Believe in God based upon the existence of the Universe and evolved life) 41 13.53%
Perhaps, I'm Agnostic (As there is conflicting, or a lack of, evidence you just don't know) 77 25.41%
No, I'm an Atheist (science will eventually understand the origins of the Big Bang/Universe) 127 41.91%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #616 of 774 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Registered User
 
Jōris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 2,619
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves. View Post
What did you edit?
I simplified the sentence for you.

Thank you for not reporting my post.
Jōris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #617 of 774 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:59 PM
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
habibko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 31
Posts: 20,060
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
I simplified the sentence for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer View Post
“The goal, when I took my break of six months, was doing this for the next couple years, not just for one tournament, I understand people who say, ‘Oh, this would be a perfect moment to go.’ But I feel like I’ve put in so much work, and I love it so much, and I still have so much in the tank.”
habibko is offline  
post #618 of 774 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Registered User
 
Yves.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 24
Posts: 10,210
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
I simplified the sentence for you.
Ik begin je opmerkingen langzaam minder leuk te vinden.
Yves. is offline  
post #619 of 774 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Registered User
 
safin-rules-no.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,754
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

I love the film Dogma. I hope all angels are as hot as Ben Affleck and Matt Damon
safin-rules-no.1 is offline  
post #620 of 774 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Registered User
 
Jōris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 2,619
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by safin-rules-no.1 View Post
I love the film Dogma. I hope all angels are as hot as Ben Affleck and Matt Damon
I love that movie too

Thank you for not reporting my post.
Jōris is offline  
post #621 of 774 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:03 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Har-Tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 31
Posts: 20,524
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superslam77 View Post
I'll explain in a better way old sport.

1-Organized religion is manipulative/corrupted/plagiarized/unoriginal therefore "false".
2-We assume the premise that all abrahamic "gods" are false because they derive from organized religion.
3-Specific monotheistic "gods" are false or imaginary. just anthropocentric thought when we live in a complex universe, the thought of a unique entity controlling all existence is
4-I do accept there could be higher intelligence out there but this is not the means and end of anything.
5-If anything we could say "God" is everything, God is love, God is nature or the universe/multiverse but even then i've justified the use of "theWORD" god to promote subjective ideas or why "i'm still a theist" even though i know religion sucks.
6-People try to justify their deity by saying religion is different totally different from god but the concept is religious or derived from manipulative and delusional ideas in the first place.
7-I don't want to disrespect the general so i will end with a 7 and not a 6

All praise and gloryhunt to me! FOR GLORY!!!
Oh I see, I understand now. It's bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
I simplified the sentence for you.
hahaha you're the man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Armstrong says in-competition testing will never catch anyone, only out-of-competition testing and the blood passport can.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline  
post #622 of 774 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Registered User
 
superslam77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: out of this world
Posts: 6,505
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Oh I see, I understand now. It's bullshit.



justin bieber is not the best in history.
funk was better than rap.
techno not better than classic rock.

numbers are not everything.
superslam77 is offline  
post #623 of 774 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Registered User
 
safin-rules-no.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,754
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
I love that movie too
It's amaze i must have seen it 100 times
safin-rules-no.1 is offline  
post #624 of 774 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Registered User
 
Jōris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 2,619
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
I'm genuinely curious about your owl obsession. What is the root of your interest in those furry creatures?
What a looney question by the way.

Thank you for not reporting my post.
Jōris is offline  
post #625 of 774 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Registered User
 
Orka_n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 25,270
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Weird poll. I am both a theist and a deist. And I'm a Christian...
I've realized though, that the best personal argument I have for God's existence - not counting the many things that has happened to me that I credit God for but you probably wouldn't - is this: The peace and happiness I feel inside me when I have my check good with God. This feeling is superior to everything that I have experienced in my life. Simple as that. =]


January 8th 2017:

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
Exhorer Semiretirer is back


Tea of truth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post
It is Fabio's world and we are all just living in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
We should be appreciative of Federer though, because we will never see anything like him again. The fact he can still compete for slams ever after the erosion of his physical skills is really a greater testament to the natural talent he has than the period of time when he was dominating the tour.
Orka_n is offline  
post #626 of 774 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Registered User
 
Junkyard Racket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 229
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Weird poll. I am both a theist and a deist. And I'm a Christian...
I've realized though, that the best personal argument I have for God's existence - not counting the many things that has happened to me that I credit God for but you probably wouldn't - is this: The peace and happiness I feel inside me when I have my check good with God. This feeling is superior to everything that I have experienced in my life. Simple as that. =]
Well said.
Junkyard Racket is offline  
post #627 of 774 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Registered User
 
Nidhogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,782
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

A discussion which came about in another thread. I rmade a remark on some other fellow posters who said they'd will for Martina Navratilova to recover from cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
Ah, yes, it's sedative and soothing to occupy yourself with delusions. Then again, who am I to point at others? I can be superstitious when I follow my favourites in sport, telling myself I totally have a say on proceedings on something happening hundreds of miles away with nothing but my willpower, but I keep a certain distance to my delusions.

Again, I hope that Martina now takes the best possible care of herself and comes through, but the belief in fairytales is only cute when it involves kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_is_onUSA View Post
Fairytale or not, there is a base of rigorous scientific research, including double-blind, randomized controlled trials that have yielded statistically significant results suggesting prayer to have positive effects on physical health.

A classic example can be found here: http://journals.lww.com/smajournalonline/toc/1988/07000 where patients in a coronary care unit were prayed for (unknown to them or the treating physicians). The prayer group required less antibiotics, diuretics, and intubation than those in the control group.

Byrd, R. C. (1988) Positive Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer in a Coronary Care Unit Population. Southern Medical Journal, 81, 826-29.

Thus, science suggests that it may be safe to close the gap between one and his or her delusions
Naturally the belief in something you find to be a steadfast and great guidance can be of great help to you (in this instance when the goings get rough, but it stretches further than that. Look at athletes who are thankful to their "God" and are convinced that that very supreme being is with them and behind them. Surely that would mean God would be against the other team, indirect , and so God would be both for and against both teams when people on both ends clash. It would boil down to who's more in the good graces of God, I guess ). It needn't be truthful. It's all about believing and staying strong, and you will reap the psychosomatic rewards. Positive thinking, you know.

And I'm sure there is a logical explanation to your example, other than what I just went through, as I presume that your main point with it was that those who were treated did supposedly not know about those precious others who sent them positive vibes. We just haven't seen it yet. That's usually the way it goes.

I find the notion of any almighty, omnipotent supreme being, who heeds prayers whatever they'd be about, rather than spot the "problems" or issues by itself and go to work on them, ludicrous(, but then again, I don't believe in childish terms like good or evil either. There is no good or evil. There are only different ways of seeing things, spawned by individual experiences.
I do believe in that you can be constructive and encouraging, compared to destructive and discouraging, though) if that being indeed is all-seeing and all-powerful.

In fact I wouldn't even bother with such an omnipotent presence from the start even if I believed everything about it to be true, cause a supreme being who's that banal is anything but supreme and mature, and isn't worth my time.

All in all, of course pros and cons come from believing in fairytales, but I believe in that you sooner or later have to realize that there's a very good chance Santa doesn't exist (and Lord do I miss the days when I believed in him. Life was so much simpler). As you grow up, you should be able to take that the world gets more intricate, and let go of the one illusion after the other. Not for the sake of happiness, though. You can be happy without challenging yourself.
Nidhogg is offline  
post #628 of 774 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Registered User
 
Nidhogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,782
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Oh dear. I'll get back to you in a jiffy (I might, when I'm sober.

But first, I will have to stand trial to ymself here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
Surely that would mean God would be against the other team, indirect , and so God would be both for and against both teams when people on both ends clash. It would boil down to who's more in the good graces of God, I guess )
Why do I bother with semantics so much? Comedial and useless aexanple on my part.

Cheers for now.
Nidhogg is offline  
post #629 of 774 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Registered User
 
Nidhogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,782
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_is_onUSA View Post
Given that the body and mind are interconnected systems, achieving coherence will undoubtedly benefit both sides, physical and psychological. If you think positive thoughts and relax, your cardiovascular and pulmonary systems will respond in kind. If you regulate your heart rate and breathing through meditation or other format, you will reduce psychological feelings of distress. (This may explain the physical performance benefits athletes receive from their “God.”) This is an internal process, but what are your thoughts about transferring the effects of positive thinking from one entity to another?
Of course. A smile can put a smile on anyone's face.


Quote:
Yes. So here’s my attempt to ponder pieces of the logical explanation.

Amidst this quandary, I now turn to laws of Quantum mechanics to speculate about how this may work.

I used to not ‘believe’ in Shamanism or remote forms of healing such as prayer, until I understood some of the science that could potentially be behind it.

Subatomic particles and atomic structures, including DNA strands change through the mere act of being observed (i.e., The ‘observer effect’). I only have cursory knowledge of this and can’t really explain the wave properties of physical objects and how this is impacted through human presence. It is speculated that this human ‘energy’ is channeled through this process and impacts the atomic structures. I have seen research that indicates DNA strands tighten or loosen while being viewed under a microscope depending up the ‘energy’ coming from the observer.

This is actually very similar to how I think that the Dog Whisperer (Are you familiar with Cesar Millan?) works. Do you ever notice how animals know if you’re scared of them or not? Where does this knowing come from? Is it the energy you give off? Do you ever get a sense about someone or something? Possibly it is related to this notion of energy transfer.

For me it’s not a stretch to think that humans pass energy from one to another. I’ve certainly felt it before. I’ve felt others’ anxiety or fear and also loving through touch. Thus, it isn’t that difficult for me then to think that Jesus could have actually healed with his hands. (This, of course, utilizes both the ability to transfer human energy to other objects and the healing potential of positive thinking on the self). And that’s not because of being a supreme being in a religious sense, rather someone who knew how to harness this process (and was somehow disproportionately good at it) that is now beginning to be explained by Quantum physics. Basically, this would be someone whose abilities lied at the farthest end of the right tail of a distribution of abilities to pass energy.

Now, this does not address if distance has an impact on the transfer of energy. Thus, is there scientific evidence that supports praying for someone from hundreds of miles away may have a benefit to his or her healing process? I think that a person knowing others are praying for them has positive benefits as the person feels loved and supported (again, the power of positive thinking). However, if he or she is unaware and there is a great distance, is there scientific evidence to support this works? Here, I come back to the double blind research study in the coronary care unit. Since the patients were unaware of being prayed for, this research suggests that a sort of energy transfer is possible from one human to another through the mechanism of prayer. I do not know the research regarding degree of physical proximity related to the ‘observer effect’ (or even if this phenomenon can be explained by principles related to the ‘observer effect’). This assumption, of course, maintains that the energy moves from human to human and is not considering facilitation through a supreme being. That is an entirely different issue. My original argument was made from the basis of science and not religion or about the powers of God as a supreme being. I would need to know more about this process occurring between prayer and ‘miracle’ per se in order to express an opinion on it. I’m not sure this has been delineated in the research literature .
We interact and communicate with scents and hormones, body language, etc just like many other animals, and a lot of that happens subconciously.

To me, you've already answered a lot of your question about your earlier example with the bolded part. I think it's mostly about that.

You also make a very good point about positive energy transmitted and shared among humans being perfectly plausible without any supreme being taking part in the equation. I'll happily think about this one for a while.

Quote:
Okay, my brain needs a rest. There are a lot of holes in this argument that I don’t quite understand but I think that science does support the existence of healing processes outside of Western views of medicine and healing.
Heh. It's easy to drift away in these questions.

Quote:
To step away from the epistemological argument, I haven’t decided yet if I think there’s a heaven or any sort of afterlife. I have a sense of knowing that all will be well when I pass. I agree that fairytales are a way to combat insecurities, and this is part of why I don’t participate in organized religion. I’d rather die without insecurity and am not going to participate in rituals to combat the insecurity. This is where I understand that faith departs from belief. Being comfortable with no proof that I’ll be okay is what allows me to be calm in situations where others worry if they’re going to die. I’m not suppressing anything, just embracing it.
To go back on what I earlier said about being happy without challenging yourself, my philosophy of leaving a whole lot of questions about the universe unanswered in turn makes me happy. It's a relief being able to admit to yourself how many things there are which you don't have the slightest clue about. It also becomes easier to consider new ideas, theories and notions on how to describe the world when you don't take the current ones for granted.

The world as we know it is a constant work in process.

Quote:
I probably wouldn’t be open to this notion of supreme beings or energy, even in the face of science, if it wasn’t for the fact that I live on this giant rotating ball that’s suspended amidst this vast background, that at present does not appear to have boundaries. Really thinking about this allows me to be open to possibilities and potentialities as opposed to realities. I’ve come to understand that being grounded in reality is potentially a narrow-minded thing to do.
I like that way of thinking.
Nidhogg is offline  
post #630 of 774 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,310
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
Of course. A smile can put a smile on anyone's face.
It does work. ---->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
To go back on what I earlier said about being happy without challenging yourself, my philosophy of leaving a whole lot of questions about the universe unanswered in turn makes me happy. It's a relief being able to admit to yourself how many things there are which you don't have the slightest clue about. It also becomes easier to consider new ideas, theories and notions on how to describe the world when you don't take the current ones for granted.
I like this notion of comfort in not knowing/being happy without challenging yourself. I totally agree that it positions oneself for discovery. It opens the mind up to possibilities rather than trying to explain that which is knowable in the present. I think that the greatest scientists are those who “expose” the presence of variation, and the potential for further variation. Comfort in not knowing also permits transcendence of insecurity (This contrasts with Western religion’s attempt to create security, which I think constrains). Life without insecurity gives one freedom to access one’s authentic self and the potentialities of the self and that makes for happy humans. And I’m sure that a bunch of happy humans can generate a shit-load of positive energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
The world as we know it is a constant work in process.
I like this way of thinking. Noting specifically that you say work in process as opposed to progress.

This was a good exercise for my brain, so thank you for the discussion. It certainly opened up new brain pathways for me. And that, of course, makes me a meteor shower of positive energy.
WarriorA is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome