Do You Believe In A "God"? - Page 36 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A "God"?
Yes, I'm a Theist (Believe in holy revelation via a "Holy Book") 58 19.14%
Yes, I'm a Deist (Believe in God based upon the existence of the Universe and evolved life) 41 13.53%
Perhaps, I'm Agnostic (As there is conflicting, or a lack of, evidence you just don't know) 77 25.41%
No, I'm an Atheist (science will eventually understand the origins of the Big Bang/Universe) 127 41.91%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #526 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Registered User
 
habibko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 19,876
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
Pretty good discussion, guys. Habibko won it by reason of having an argument that resembles mine.
who's da winner?






Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer View Post
If I can help the game of tennis with the image or with making it more popular, that’s enough for me really. I want to leave the game better off than when I came into this great game

Last edited by habibko; 10-23-2009 at 08:39 PM.
habibko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #527 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Registered User
 
Jōris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 2,619
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Life develops anywhere in the universe where the conditions allow it and nobody can prove where the immense drive of simple cells to mutate, adapt and survive into complex organisms comes from. Deity did it is as rational as a material explanation.

Thank you for not reporting my post.
Jōris is offline  
post #528 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
Life develops anywhere in the universe where the conditions allow it and nobody can prove where the immense drive of simple cells to mutate, adapt and survive into complex organisms comes from. Deity did it is as rational as a material explanation.
That's not rational. That's very much irrational.

"I don't know how it happened, so I'm going to say it was an invisible man in the sky."

There was a time when science didn't know how humans got here and couldn't explain life's diversity. God was used as the explanation. Charles Darwin came along and made a mockery of that notion. The same thing will almost certainly happen again. And when it does, the religious people will point to something else as proof of God. And when science figures that out, they'll point to something else, and so on and so on.

'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline  
post #529 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 01:25 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Har-Tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 30
Posts: 20,524
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
That's not rational. That's very much irrational.

"I don't know how it happened, so I'm going to say it was an invisible man in the sky."

There was a time when science didn't know how humans got here and couldn't explain life's diversity. God was used as the explanation. Charles Darwin came along and made a mockery of that notion. The same thing will almost certainly happen again. And when it does, the religious people will point to something else as proof of God. And when science figures that out, they'll point to something else, and so on and so on.
Isn't Andy Murray enough proof of God's existence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Armstrong says in-competition testing will never catch anyone, only out-of-competition testing and the blood passport can.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline  
post #530 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Isn't Andy Murray enough proof of God's existence?
You see, that's your best argument. You should have hit me with that one from the beginning.

Muzza

'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline  
post #531 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Registered User
 
Echoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 1,902
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
That's not rational. That's very much irrational.

"I don't know how it happened, so I'm going to say it was an invisible man in the sky."
Is it more rational (hate the term) than saying "I don't know how it happened, so I'm going to say it was by chance."

I don't think so. I would say that's just as if a hurricane could make a nuclear power station.

ID power !
Echoes is offline  
post #532 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Is it more rational (hate the term) than saying "I don't know how it happened, so I'm going to say it was by chance."

I don't think so. I would say that's just as if a hurricane could make a nuclear power station.

ID power !
You're talking about something else now. You're talking about evolution. I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to dispute the fact that we evolved. And evolution isn't "by chance". Do you know anything about the theory of evolution?

Gotta love the fact that you hate the term "rational". You're probably the type of person who values faith above all else and views it as a virtue. Believing in things without evidence isn't to be admired. It's to be mocked.

'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline  
post #533 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Registered User
 
Echoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 1,902
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Rationality means evidence? Wow I discovered something.
Echoes is offline  
post #534 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 02:59 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Har-Tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 30
Posts: 20,524
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
You see, that's your best argument. You should have hit me with that one from the beginning.

Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Armstrong says in-competition testing will never catch anyone, only out-of-competition testing and the blood passport can.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline  
post #535 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Registered User
 
Jōris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 2,619
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
That's not rational. That's very much irrational.

"I don't know how it happened, so I'm going to say it was an invisible man in the sky."

There was a time when science didn't know how humans got here and couldn't explain life's diversity. God was used as the explanation. Charles Darwin came along and made a mockery of that notion. The same thing will almost certainly happen again. And when it does, the religious people will point to something else as proof of God. And when science figures that out, they'll point to something else, and so on and so on.
I'm wondering do you come from a religious background? Because you really come off as a bitter atheist with a bone to pick.

I don't believe in a father figure that created the universe, I don't know how you read that in my posts. My idea of a deity is amorphous, like gravity or the will to live.

IMO the notion of God still has its uses. Do you have any idea how many countries would have been nuked by America if they were not constrained by a fear of God? Besides the Bible says you're a ****. I happen to agree with that.

Thank you for not reporting my post.
Jōris is offline  
post #536 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
I'm wondering do you come from a religious background? Because you really come off as a bitter atheist with a bone to pick.

I don't believe in a father figure that created the universe, I don't know how you read that in my posts. My idea of a deity is amorphous, like gravity or the will to live.

IMO the notion of God still has its uses. Do you have any idea how many countries would have been nuked by America if they were not constrained by a fear of God? Besides the Bible says you're a ****. I happen to agree with that.
Yes, I was raised Catholic. It wasn't hellfire and brimstone shit. I come from a religious background and grew out of it, just as I grew out of Santa and the easter bunny. I'm not bitter. I just think the notion of a deity is ridiculous. There's no evidence for it. By all means believe what you like, but let's not pretend it's rational.

Finally, the bible gets something right. I am a ****.

'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline  
post #537 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Olympic GOAT
 
Sapeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 21
Posts: 42,877
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Lol Clydey, you are very adamant in your arguments. You never give up or stand down

LET'S GO!!
SLAMS: 3 TITLES, 8 finals, 9 semi-finals, 8 quarter-finals...
WORLD TOUR FINALS: 1 TITLE, 3 semi-finals...
MASTERS: 14 TITLES, 7 finals, 12 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
OLYMPICS: 2 gold medals, 1 silver...
DAVIS CUP: 1 TITLE, 1 semi-final, 1 quarter-final...
WORLD #1: 2 weeks and counting...
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 630-174...
TITLES: 44 and counting...
~ Roger ~ Monty ~ Pics ~ Stronga ~ Berdman ~ Feli ~
Sapeod is offline  
post #538 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Registered User
 
Echoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 1,902
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Sure. He never answered mine. So I win.
Echoes is offline  
post #539 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 05:44 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Har-Tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 30
Posts: 20,524
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

"God is dead", Nietzsche.

"Nietzsche is dead", God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Armstrong says in-competition testing will never catch anyone, only out-of-competition testing and the blood passport can.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline  
post #540 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Sure. He never answered mine. So I win.
It didn't merit an answer.

'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome