Do You Believe In A "God"? - Page 33 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A "God"?
Yes, I'm a Theist (Believe in holy revelation via a "Holy Book") 58 19.14%
Yes, I'm a Deist (Believe in God based upon the existence of the Universe and evolved life) 41 13.53%
Perhaps, I'm Agnostic (As there is conflicting, or a lack of, evidence you just don't know) 77 25.41%
No, I'm an Atheist (science will eventually understand the origins of the Big Bang/Universe) 127 41.91%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #481 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Registered User
 
habibko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 19,876
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
I love it. You've spent 5 minutes on wikipedia and you think you know what the fuck you're talking about.
again going after my knowledge on the matter, you can answer my posts as they are, show me how wrong I was if I were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
I'm just going to leave that paragraph of baseless nonsense and ask you to answer my question.

Would you still be a Muslim if you were brought up by Evangelical Christians in the USA?
I don't know the answer of that obviously, I could have converted if I knew Islam as I know it now, but chances are I won't know enough I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer View Post
If I can help the game of tennis with the image or with making it more popular, that’s enough for me really. I want to leave the game better off than when I came into this great game
habibko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:30 AM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post

I don't know the answer of that obviously, I could have converted if I knew Islam as I know it now, but chances are I won't know enough I suppose.
The chances of you randomly becoming a Muslim are so ridiculously slim that it's not even worth thinking about. You believe what you believe because of where you were raised and how you were raised. You didn't make a conscious choice. You were born into it.

'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline  
post #483 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:31 AM
Registered User
 
habibko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 19,876
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
I answered that already. We know the universe exists. We do not know that a God exists, nor do we have any evidence to even suggest that one exists. You can make an argument for the universe having always existed in some form because we know it exists. It is entirely irrational to argue that a supreme being, whom we have no evidence for, has always existed.

You first have to prove that God exists before you can even start making a case for him having always existed. One step at a time. First prove he/she/it actually exists and then we can discuss whether your God is infinite. I don't have to prove the universe exists.
yes the universe exists but there is no evidence of it being eternal as you propose, therefore it's illogical, one or two steps what does it matter? it's illogical in the end, so much for being fully logical and the only God worthy of worship is your own mind and reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
And only an idiot would think that the concept of infinity is irrational. Here's an idea. Start counting and stop when you get to the end.
in theory and abstract words we can talk about infinity, but there is no proof if anything being infinite in practice or in our experienced world, and even if something WAS infinite there is no way you would be able to tell, you would just say it's too huge/big/many, you can't measure infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer View Post
If I can help the game of tennis with the image or with making it more popular, that’s enough for me really. I want to leave the game better off than when I came into this great game
habibko is offline  
post #484 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:33 AM
Registered User
 
habibko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 19,876
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
The chances of you randomly becoming a Muslim are so ridiculously slim that it's not even worth thinking about. You believe what you believe because of where you were raised and how you were raised. You didn't make a conscious choice. You were born into it.
randomly becoming a Muslim? so many people in the world convert to Islam every year, and knowing me I'd have known alot about it which increases my chances, but this is all hypothetical.

what about you, were you born an atheist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer View Post
If I can help the game of tennis with the image or with making it more popular, that’s enough for me really. I want to leave the game better off than when I came into this great game
habibko is offline  
post #485 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:41 AM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
randomly becoming a Muslim? so many people in the world convert to Islam every year, and knowing me I'd have known alot about it which increases my chances, but this is all hypothetical.

what about you, were you born an atheist?
Yes, I was born an atheist. So were you. However, I was raised Catholic.

Compared to the number of believers who were raised in a particular religion, the percentage of converts is tiny. The overwhelming majority of people of faith are born into it. And most converts didn't have a strong religious upbringing. For example, you're not going to see many kids raised by Evangeligical Christians becoming Muslims later in life.

You're delusional if you think it was a conscious choice for you to become a Muslim. Tell yourself whatever you need to, but don't expect anyone with an ounce of sense to buy that bullshit story. It's not a coincidence that people take on the religion of their parents.

'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline  
post #486 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:53 AM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
yes the universe exists but there is no evidence of it being eternal as you propose, therefore it's illogical, one or two steps what does it matter? it's illogical in the end, so much for being fully logical and the only God worthy of worship is your own mind and reason.
I didn't say that there was any evidence for it other than my own reasoning, which is purely theoretical. It's not something I'd stake my life on, nor is it a fact. There's a difference between what you believe and what I believe. That's why I'm rational and you are not. I don't pretend that my theory (common usage of the word) is a fact. I don't dedicate my life to praising what amounts to a best guess. I concede that there is every chance that I'm wrong and I will reconsider if new evidence comes to light. You won't. And that's the difference. Evidence means nothing to you. You only care about what supports your beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
in theory and abstract words we can talk about infinity, but there is no proof if anything being infinite in practice or in our experienced world, and even if something WAS infinite there is no way you would be able to tell, you would just say it's too huge/big/many, you can't measure infinity.
Numbers aren't practical enough for you?

Like I said, think about infinity for a while. You're not much for deep thought, as far as I can tell. Maybe you'll wise up in a few years. Right now, it's impossible to reason with you.

'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline  
post #487 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 06:09 AM
Registered User
 
habibko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 19,876
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
Yes, I was born an atheist. So were you. However, I was raised Catholic.

Compared to the number of believers who were raised in a particular religion, the percentage of converts is tiny. The overwhelming majority of people of faith are born into it. And most converts didn't have a strong religious upbringing. For example, you're not going to see many kids raised by Evangeligical Christians becoming Muslims later in life.

You're delusional if you think it was a conscious choice for you to become a Muslim. Tell yourself whatever you need to, but don't expect anyone with an ounce of sense to buy that bullshit story. It's not a coincidence that people take on the religion of their parents.
well this is not a religions' thread, it's about the existence of God, and in the end atheism doesn't make any more sense than any other brand of religion, so it's not like you have hit the nail on the head with your conversion you know.

my belief is that as long as you believe in one true God, you are a Muslim, I don't think it matters much to God wheather you fast Ramadan or Yom Kippur, or if you feed the poor because you want to please Allah, YHWH or The Father, but this is irrelevant to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer View Post
If I can help the game of tennis with the image or with making it more popular, that’s enough for me really. I want to leave the game better off than when I came into this great game
habibko is offline  
post #488 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Registered User
 
habibko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 19,876
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
I didn't say that there was any evidence for it other than my own reasoning, which is purely theoretical. It's not something I'd stake my life on, nor is it a fact. There's a difference between what you believe and what I believe. That's why I'm rational and you are not. I don't pretend that my theory (common usage of the word) is a fact. I don't dedicate my life to praising what amounts to a best guess. I concede that there is every chance that I'm wrong and I will reconsider if new evidence comes to light. You won't. And that's the difference. Evidence means nothing to you. You only care about what supports your beliefs.
so many assumptions about me again, gotta love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
Numbers aren't practical enough for you?

Like I said, think about infinity for a while. You're not much for deep thought, as far as I can tell. Maybe you'll wise up in a few years. Right now, it's impossible to reason with you.
no sorry, my head can't grasp this, I stutter when counting, or maybe I'm just not smart enough to count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer View Post
If I can help the game of tennis with the image or with making it more popular, that’s enough for me really. I want to leave the game better off than when I came into this great game
habibko is offline  
post #489 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 06:15 AM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
well this is not a religions' thread, it's about the existence of God, and in the end atheism doesn't make any more sense than any other brand of religion, so it's not like you have hit the nail on the head with your conversion you know.

my belief is that as long as you believe in one true God, you are a Muslim, I don't think it matters much to God wheather you fast Ramadan or Yom Kippur, or if you feed the poor because you want to please Allah, YHWH or The Father, but this is irrelevant to this thread.
Yeah, me not believing in a God is just as irrational as believing in an all-powerful being in the sky who listens to prayers, can hear everyone's thoughts, do anything, etc, etc. Oh, I forgot the complete lack of evidence for this being's existence.

Talk about delusional. There's a reason why the people considered the world's top intellectuals are atheists. They value evidence and reason.

'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline  
post #490 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Registered User
 
habibko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 19,876
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
Yeah, me not believing in a God is just as irrational as believing in an all-powerful being in the sky who listens to prayers, can hear everyone's thoughts, do anything, etc, etc. Oh, I forgot the complete lack of evidence for this being's existence.

Talk about delusional. There's a reason why the people considered the world's top intellectuals are atheists. They value evidence and reason.
yeah, intelligence definitely contradicts theism doesn't it? and intellectuals can never be religious either, if you say so, people like Avicenna and Kierkegaard never existed huh?

heck the most intelligent man we knew, Albert Einstein, couldn't bring himself to be an atheist, says alot doesn't it?

http://www.closertotruth.com/video-p...kinghorne-/619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer View Post
If I can help the game of tennis with the image or with making it more popular, that’s enough for me really. I want to leave the game better off than when I came into this great game
habibko is offline  
post #491 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
yeah, intellegence definitely contradicts theism doesn't it? and intellectuals can never be religious either, if you say so, people like Avicenna and Kierkegaard never existed huh?

heck the most intellegent man we knew, Albert Einstein, couldn't bring himself to be an atheist, says alot doesn't it?

http://www.closertotruth.com/video-p...kinghorne-/619
Einstein didn't believe in God. Be prepared to look like an idiot if you insist that he did. You have been warned.

'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline  
post #492 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Registered User
 
habibko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 19,876
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
Einstein didn't believe in God. Be prepared to look like an idiot if you insist that he did. You have been warned.
Einstein wasn't an Atheist. Be prepared to look like an idiot if you insist that he was. You have been warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer View Post
If I can help the game of tennis with the image or with making it more popular, that’s enough for me really. I want to leave the game better off than when I came into this great game
habibko is offline  
post #493 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Olympic GOAT
 
Sapeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 21
Posts: 42,874
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Albert Einstein was not an athiest, but he didn't believe in a God either.

LET'S GO!!
SLAMS: 3 TITLES, 8 finals, 9 semi-finals, 8 quarter-finals...
WORLD TOUR FINALS: 1 TITLE, 3 semi-finals...
MASTERS: 14 TITLES, 7 finals, 12 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
OLYMPICS: 2 gold medals, 1 silver...
DAVIS CUP: 1 TITLE, 1 semi-final, 1 quarter-final...
WORLD #1: 2 weeks and counting...
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 630-174...
TITLES: 44 and counting...
~ Roger ~ Monty ~ Pics ~ Stronga ~ Berdman ~ Feli ~

Last edited by Sapeod; 10-22-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Sapeod is offline  
post #494 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
Einstein wasn't an Atheist. Be prepared to look like an idiot if you insist that he was. You have been warned.
He didn't like the term. He was closer to an atheist than a theist. He didn't believe in any sort of supreme being. He is most often described as a deist. I can provide a mountain of quotes in which he rubbishes theism.

'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline  
post #495 of 774 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Albert Einstein was not an athiest, but he didn't believe in a God either.
I don't think Einstein knew what he was. He said stated that he wasn't an atheist, yet also stated that he doesn't believe in God. He revered nature and nature seemed to be his God.

'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome