Andre pulls out of Wimbledon
London - Former champion Andre Agassi pulled out of Wimbledon on Tuesday with a hip injury, tournament officials said.
Agassi informed Wimbledon officials of his decision in a statement.
"I have been struggling with a hip injury for the past couple of months and in my preparation for Wimbledon realised the injury was only worsened by the nature of the surface and would prevent me from competing," Agassi said.
"Clearly, this is a regrettable decision that I have to make. I will miss the opportunity to play in the most prestigious tournament in the world."
Agassi has failed to win a singles match in three straight tournaments, the first time that's happened since August 1997. He lost to unseeded Russian Igor Andreev at Queen's Club - a Wimbledon warmup - last week, then refused to show up for his postmatch news conference. He was fined $1 000 by the ATP Tour.
At the French Open, Agassi was beaten by 277th ranked French qualifier Jerome Haehnel in the first round. That came after a loss to Nenad Zimonjic at St Poelten earlier in May.
His singles record is 14-7, and he hasn't reached a final this year. Agassi, an eight-time Grand Slam winner, last won a major at the Australian Open in 2003.
He beat Goran Ivanisevic in the Wimbledon final in 1992 and reached the final seven years later, losing to Pete Sampras. Agassi said he hoped to return in 2005.
"My hope and plans are to see you next year," he said.
Agassi is the latest big-name player to withdraw. Top-ranked female Justine Henin-Hardenne and No 2 Kim Clijsters have already pulled out. Henin-Hardenne has a lingering viral illness, while Clijsters has a wrist injury. Men's French Open champion Gaston Gaudio won't play because of a foot injury.