Johnny Groove Tennis Career - Page 20 - MensTennisForums.com
 1Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #286 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Age: 27
Posts: 43,201
                     
Re: Every tournament is another rung up the ladder... (post 282, 284)

Stats:

Vs. Akash Israni, Aventura 4.5 SF, 3/16/2013

I break myself to love with 2 doubles, 0-1
He holds after one deuce, 0-2
He breaks after one deuce, 0-3, he is 2/4 on BP
I break after one deuce, 1-3, 1/2 on BP for me
I hold after 2 deuces, 2-3, he is 2/6 on BP
I break after 2 deuces, 3-3, I am 2/5 on BP
He breaks after 3 deuces, 3-4, he is 3/10 on BP
He holds to 30, 3-5
He breaks to 30, 3-6, he is 4/11 on BP

He holds to love, 0-1
I hold to 15, 1-1
He holds after 1 deuce, 1-2, I am 2/8 on BP
I break myself to 15 after 3 doubles, 1-3, he is 5/12 on BP
I break after 3 deuces, 2-3, I am 3/11 on BP
I hold to 30, 3-3
He holds to 15, 3-4
I break myself after one deuce with 2 DF, 3-5, he is 6/13 on BP
He holds after 2 deuces, 3-6, I am 3/12 on BP

I hit 7 DF. That I can remember. Probably closer to 10. Simply can’t have it. I must work on my kick serve middle deuce court and wide ad court. I have a very good slice serve wide deuce and middle ad. I gotta get also the kick serve and be able to do all from same toss.

Match Stats:

Points won on serve: Me- 28 (43.75%), Him- 40 (56.33%)
Games won on serve: Me- 3 (33.3%), Him- 6 (66.7%)
Points won on return: Me- 31 (43.67%), Him- 36 (56.25%)
Games won on return: Me- 3 (33.3%), Him- 6 (66.6%)
Total points won: Me- 59 (43.7%), Him- 76 (56.3%)
Total games won: Me- 6 (33.3%), Him- 12 (66.7%)
Break points won: Me- 3/12 (25%), Him- 6/13 (46.1%)

And that’s it, basically. It was a 56-44 match Look at those break points, you have your story. I missed 9 BP, and gave away at least 2 of those 6 with DF. Gotta improve the glute, the shoulder, the kick serve, the fitness, and next week I will continue to rise.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #287 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Age: 27
Posts: 43,201
                     
Re: Every week is another rung up the ladder... (post 282, 284, 286) Gardens next

Thanks, Prodigy and Javi

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #288 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:05 AM
Registered User
 
Snowwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A place that's too cold.
Posts: 23,651
                     
Re: Every week is another rung up the ladder... (post 282, 284, 286) Gardens next

Did you tape the match? Is that how you have all the stats?

Peter Polansky
Nestor - Chvojka - Pospisil - Raonic - Peliwo
Snowwy is offline  
post #289 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Age: 27
Posts: 43,201
                     
Re: Every week is another rung up the ladder... (post 282, 284, 286) Gardens next

I did not tape it, no, unfortunately. That is a fine idea though, if I can do it next tourney, I will fa sho.

No, on the change overs, I take quick notes into my phone like "he holds after 1 deuce and I miss a BP" or something like that within the 90 seconds.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #290 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:28 AM
Registered User
 
Snowwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A place that's too cold.
Posts: 23,651
                     
Re: Every week is another rung up the ladder... (post 282, 284, 286) Gardens next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
I did not tape it, no, unfortunately. That is a fine idea though, if I can do it next tourney, I will fa sho.

No, on the change overs, I take quick notes into my phone like "he holds after 1 deuce and I miss a BP" or something like that within the 90 seconds.
Oh okay.

I do think that you would have better results in pressure situations if you did not keep track of that and only thought about the next point.

But I don't want to be an annoying poster with you here so its too bad you lost the match and good luck in the future.

Peter Polansky
Nestor - Chvojka - Pospisil - Raonic - Peliwo
Snowwy is offline  
post #291 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 27
Posts: 2,344
                     
Re: Every week is another rung up the ladder... (post 282, 284, 286) Gardens next

First tip: Don't bring your phone into the game.
octatennis is offline  
post #292 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Registered User
 
GSMnadal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Netherlands
Age: 25
Posts: 16,539
                     
Re: Every week is another rung up the ladder... (post 282, 284, 286) Gardens next

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatennis View Post
First tip: Don't bring your phone into the game.
Have to agree with this, do you see any professional athlete fiddling with their phone during a match? No, they're 100% focussed on the match.

And I think you'll be surprised how well you'll remember what happened in a match. Maybe not every point, but the important stuff will stay with you.

RAFAEL NADAL

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 10 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline  
post #293 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Age: 27
Posts: 43,201
                     
Re: Every week is another rung up the ladder... (post 282, 284, 286) Gardens next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Oh okay.

I do think that you would have better results in pressure situations if you did not keep track of that and only thought about the next point.

But I don't want to be an annoying poster with you here so its too bad you lost the match and good luck in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatennis View Post
First tip: Don't bring your phone into the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Have to agree with this, do you see any professional athlete fiddling with their phone during a match? No, they're 100% focussed on the match.

And I think you'll be surprised how well you'll remember what happened in a match. Maybe not every point, but the important stuff will stay with you.


I do appreciate such advice, y'all. But then I wouldn't have any stats to analyze

The pros don't do it cause they have live scores and stuff they can analyze post match. I've been taking these stats in a match for a few years now, and it has really helped me to improve my game and what I need to do. Sure I can just play the match and haphazardly try to remember things, but usually it slips out like sand through ones hands. Like a dream you just woke up from and are trying to remember.

I'd rather take down the notes. That *1-2 game in the 2nd where I missed the 3 BP in the game before and I DF away the break, I was rattled because I missed 3 BP Not because I took down the information. I put the info into my phone, and get on with it

If anything, if I didn't take down the notes, my mind would REALLY wander, and I might have gotten breadsticked in that 2nd set

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #294 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Age: 27
Posts: 43,201
                     
Re: Let me tell you a story of what happened in my tennis career last weekend...

I actually ended up playing 2 tourneys last weekend, as there is not a tourney this weekend.

On Friday the 22nd, I played a National USPTA Men's Open. A big step up, and I was clearly out of my league in this one.

I warmed up with Vlad Mavropoulos, former #850.

http://beta.itftennis.com/procircuit...erID=100003879

First thing I noticed was his average rally ball was so much heavier and faster than mine. We hit groundstrokes for a good 15-20 minutes here, and after being over awed for a minute, I settled down and we had some good rallies. I mean obviously he is much better than me, but hitting with the guy, I realized that he wasn't THAT much better. Serve speed my serve was just as fast, but nowhere near as heavy or as consistent. And his returns were much better than mine, that return I think is the biggest difference. But just hitting with a guy who was former 850 in the world did wonders for my confidence.

Then, I played against Kurt Pessa in the R16.

http://beta.itftennis.com/procircuit...erID=100052258

I had actually played against him last month up in Orlando on hard court. He destroyed me then, I won less than 10% of the points. This match, however, was not practice but a tournament, and not on hard but on green clay. Here is what happened:

He breaks to 30, 0-1
He holds to 15, 0-2
He breaks to love, 0-3
He holds to love, 0-4
He breaks to 15, 0-5
He holds to 30, 0-6

He breaks after one deuce, 0-1
He holds to 15, 0-2
I break myself to love with 3 doubles, 0-3
He holds after one deuce, 0-4
He breaks to love, 0-5
He holds to love, 0-6

Points won on serve: Me- 6 (19.35%), Him- 25 (78.13%)
Games won on serve: Me- 0 (0%), Him- 6 (100%)
Points won on return: Me- 7 (21.87%), Him- 25 (80.65%)
Games won on return: Me- 0 (0%), Him- 6 (100%)
Total points won: Me- 13 (20.63%), Him- 50 (79.37%)
Total games won: Me- 0 (0%), Him- 12 (0%)

I am just not used to his average rally ball. I also hit with Vlad Mavrapolous-Stoliarenko, and I felt the same. The average rally ball is tough for me to handle. The average serve as well I am simply not used to, especially the kick serve up high to my one handed backhand. The first set I stepped back and tried to return like Nadal deep, but in the 2nd, I stepped in a few steps and was able to do a little damage or at least get into the rally. Gotta finish this shoulder, fix toss, and stay low on all shots and movement. My movement on the clay was sub-par today, I was slipping and sliding around.

He was just too good for me, really. I did hit a couple serves where he was unable to return, and I also hit at least 2 clean forehand winners. I remember having at least one 10+ shot rally as well, but most point on his serve was a kick to my BH, and me playing defense from there. I stepped in to return in the 2nd set and that worked a bit better, but mostly I need more experience with these players.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.

Last edited by Johnny Groove; 03-29-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #295 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Age: 27
Posts: 43,201
                     
Re: Let me tell you a story of what happened in my tennis career last weekend...

So that was Friday. On Saturday the 23rd, I considered playing consolation up in Palm Beach Gardens at noon, but I didn't want to take another beating, so I decided not to. Also, I would have had to drive from Gardens over an hour down to Sunrise for a match down there in the 5.0 division at 5:30. So I decided to rest and try to peak for Sunrise.

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournamen....aspx?T=128895

The tourney was pretty messed up. The top seed had a bye, and both of the guys didn't show up to play their match for who he would play SF. So the top seed, Eddie Biera, #3 in the state in the 5.0, got a bye to the final. Then, Spooner, who Israni beat in the finals in Aventura the week before, also did not show. So the only 1st round match that took place was myself vs. Scott Wolff, the #5 in the state in the 5.0's.

Here is what happened:

Vs. Scott Wolff in Sunrise 5.0 NTRP QF, 3/23/2013

He holds to 30, 0-1
He breaks to love, 0-2
I break to love, 1-2
I hold to 30, 2-2
He holds to 30, 2-3
I hold to 30, 3-3
I break to 30, 4-3
He breaks me after 4 deuces, 4-4
I break back after 1 deuce, 5-4
He breaks to 30, 5-5
He holds to 30, 5-6
He breaks to 30, 5-7

He holds after 1 deuce, 0-1
I hold to 30, 1-1
I break after 2 deuces, 2-1
He breaks to 15, 2-2
He holds after 1 deuce, 2-3
He breaks to 15, 2-4
He holds to 30, 2-5
I break myself to 30, 2-6

Points won on serve: Me- 26 (40.63%), Him- 35 (51.47%)
Games won on serve: Me- 3 (30%), Him- 6 (60%)
Points won on return: Me- 33 (48.53%), Him- 38 (59.37%)
Games won on return: Me- 4 (40%), Him- 7 (70%)
Total points won: Me- 59 (44.7%), Him- 73 (55.3%)
Total games won: Me- 7 (35%), Him- 13 (65%)

Fucking pissed off with this match. Had a break 3 times and choked all three. Gotta finish the shoulder, gotta get quicker, lower on legs, faster, better serve, gotta be able to serve into BH of righty.

The other match vs. Pessa, ok, he was too good and he beat me fair, I won 20% of the points. But this match I really fucked up, I really choked it away. First set, I lead *4-3 with a break, and lost it after 4 deuces. I actually had 40-0 in that game. I remember we were playing these long, long rallies on the green clay and I was getting a bit fatigued. At 40-0, I let my foot off the gas just a bit, spun my serve in and just went through the motions how tired I was, just hoping he'd make an error. I lost 2 points this way, and at 40-30, I decided to try to turn it back on, well, I couldn't, and hit a DF. Then we went through a myriad of deuces.

Mentally, I was right there. As I tossed the ball up, my mind was: "Hit a very good slice serve into that forehand and grind out this rally," but my body wouldn't adhere to what my mind wanted. I have a long term shoulder injury here:

http://www.exrx.net/Images/Muscles/D...eriorFront.gif

And this does not allow me to have full control of my shoulder and by extension, any of my shots. In order to place the ball where I want, I have to swing slower. If I want to attack with power, it can't be close to the line. So I am playing impaired here and still with a lead vs. #5 in the state in the 5.0's. Anyway, he ends up breaking me, but I break him right back. Now I am serving for the set at 5-4.

At 5-4, 30-30, I hit a good serve, we get into a little rally, and eventually, he lobs up a moonball, an easy sitter, a shit ball landing right in the middle of the court. I step around, get ready to crank a forehand inside out. But my shoulder doesn't allow me. It is a ball I've hit a billion times, but this time, I really couldn't extend my shoulder well enough for how fast I tried to hit it. It ended up in the top of the tape.

He ends up breaking me and holding for the set at 7-5. Even so, I got myself a break early in the second and served at 2-1, before losing it again This damn shoulder doesn't allow me to attack with full power and control, and this guy is too good and gets to every ball for me not to hit it all out. So, I was making errors. He gets another break and at this point, I am really getting frustrated with myself, my shoulder, and his fucking drop shots.

At 4-2, 15-15, him serving, we get into a rally, he drops a ball short, and I attack with my BH. I think of hitting it CC, but at the last second, switch to DTL, and clip the tape. As I curse, I see him crumple to the ground. Apparently he twisted his ankle on that shot. He must have thought I was going CC and twisted it as he tried to change direction back down the line on the shot I missed.

So he gets up, starts limping around in pain. I think he might retire, but he keeps on going. I try to move him around, and admittedly play a bit slower. He starts swinging out, hit some winners and drop shots. I get super pissed off and DF the match away at 2-5, 30-40. I swat the air with my racquet as I do all I can not to smash the damn thing. By the time I reach the net, I congratulate him very sporting. "Some warrior shit out there, man," I say, in regards to his ankle. "Thanks, a lot, good playing today," he says, as he limps to the bench.

He eventually has to pull out of the SF vs. Israni on Sunday morning, which was just as well, so Beira and Israni both had 2 byes to the final I showed up to play consolation, but nobody else did, so I got myself a nice consolation plate just for showing up.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...psdea9f7e8.jpg

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.

Last edited by Johnny Groove; 03-29-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #296 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Age: 27
Posts: 43,201
                     
Re: Let me tell you a story of what happened in my tennis career last weekend...

The final between Israni (who beat me in SF last week) and Beira (#3 in the state in 5.0) was a doozy, as you can tell by the score. It was a 3 hours match, I stayed and watched it. There was a 10, 12, and 14 junior event also that weekend at the site, and I hit with 3 or 4 kids back to back as I waited for their match to start. Those kids were pretty decent, actually.

Israni-Beira was a war, a battle. The score on the draw is incorrect. Israni was the one that won the first set 6-4, and had a break at 3-2 in the second, serving. Beira was too good, however, battling and battling. Israni the 19 year old, Beira, who had to be 30something but still in great shape, it was like watching a generational shift, it was.

Beira took the second 6-3, and in the 3rd, Israni again led with an early break at 2-1, but was broken back for 2 all. Israni saved a MP with a 2nd serve ace at 4-5, but was unable to turn the tide. Beira covered too much court, played smarter than Israni, and made less errors to take the match 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Israni after the match told me: "You know, it is good I lost this match, had I won, I'd start taking things for granted."

So that was that. Experience defeated Youth with Haas over Djokovic and Ferrer over Nishikori, and even in the 5.0 the same is happening. No tournament this week, but April 6 is the next one, in Plantation. I plan on winning the 4.5 there, if I don't play the Open's. Doing heavy work on my shoulder, gotta get it there, it is the biggest thing holding me back.

I also added a good big of lead tape to my Pro Staff 85's, and they now weigh in at just under 14 ounces, very similar to Sampras' racquet specs.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.

Last edited by Johnny Groove; 03-29-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #297 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 AM
Registered User
 
Mountaindewslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,542
                     
Re: Let me tell you a story of what happened in my tennis career last weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
The final between Israni (who beat me in SF last week) and Beira (#3 in the state in 5.0) was a doozy, as you can tell by the score. It was a 3 hours match, I stayed and watched it. There was a 10, 12, and 14 junior event also that weekend at the site, and I hit with 3 or 4 kids back to back as I waited for their match to start. Those kids were pretty decent, actually.

Israni-Beira was a war, a battle. The score on the draw is incorrect. Israni was the one that won the first set 6-4, and had a break at 3-2 in the second, serving. Beira was too good, however, battling and battling. Israni the 19 year old, Beira, who had to be 30something but still in great shape, it was like watching a generational shift, it was.

Beira took the second 6-3, and in the 3rd, Israni again led with an early break at 2-1, but was broken back for 2 all. Israni saved a MP with a 2nd serve ace at 4-5, but was unable to turn the tide. Beira covered too much court, played smarter than Israni, and made less errors to take the match 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Israni after the match told me: "You know, it is good I lost this match, had I won, I'd start taking things for granted."

So that was that. Experience defeated Youth with Haas over Djokovic and Ferrer over Nishikori, and even in the 5.0 the same is happening. No tournament this week, but April 6 is the next one, in Plantation. I plan on winning the 4.5 there, if I don't play the Open's. Doing heavy work on my shoulder, gotta get it there, it is the biggest thing holding me back.

I also added a good big of lead tape to my Pro Staff 85's, and they now weigh in at just under 14 ounces, very similar to Sampras' racquet specs.
I wonder, Johnny Groove, if possibly you spend too much time with analysis. I find the updates interesting but your brain seems so absorbed with the #s from matches.
which matter obviously, but to get better and better and better you would and I guess will just have to practice that much more instead of thinking of the past so much
also I agree with some posts here, you track stats on your cell phone in between games!?
how do you expect to be a great tennis player if you distract yourself like that man!
I really hope you do but often in life people spend far too much time thinking rather than doing
you're obviously already a talented player but if you want to get that much better at a late age you really have to forget thinking and just put in an insane amount of yards
good luck though

<3 Roger Federer <3 David Ferrer <3 Juan Martin Del Potro <3 Stan Wawrinka <3

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline  
post #298 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Age: 27
Posts: 43,201
                     
Re: Let me tell you a story of what happened in my tennis career last weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
I wonder, Johnny Groove, if possibly you spend too much time with analysis. I find the updates interesting but your brain seems so absorbed with the #s from matches.
which matter obviously, but to get better and better and better you would and I guess will just have to practice that much more instead of thinking of the past so much
also I agree with some posts here, you track stats on your cell phone in between games!?
how do you expect to be a great tennis player if you distract yourself like that man!
I really hope you do but often in life people spend far too much time thinking rather than doing
you're obviously already a talented player but if you want to get that much better at a late age you really have to forget thinking and just put in an insane amount of yards
good luck though
Honestly, it takes like 10 seconds to punch the stats into my phone on the changeovers. I wouldn't say I am absorbed with them during the match, not at all. In my mind, I see it differently. I do not feel as if I am distracting myself my taking stats. If anything, I would be more distracted if I DIDN'T take the stats

It is just my mind that runs a million miles an hour

Forget thinking? As a player of Ferrer size, my mind is my greatest asset. How many times have you watched a match and thought: "My God this player X is talented, but where is his mind? Brainless errors!"

My mind works on overdrive all the time. I read in Tilden, or was it Budge's book, where they say: "You focus during the point, you think between the points." And that is what I do.

Oh and don't worry about putting in the yards, I put it so many yards, it is crazy. I have gotten in trouble in the past, pushing too hard and getting injured, if anything I need to scale back a bit. This shoulder is my main concern at the moment, once I heal it up, I believe the rest will come in time.

Thank you very much for the support and the ideas, my good man

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #299 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 AM
Registered User
 
Mountaindewslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,542
                     
Re: Let me tell you a story of what happened in my tennis career last weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Honestly, it takes like 10 seconds to punch the stats into my phone on the changeovers. I wouldn't say I am absorbed with them during the match, not at all. In my mind, I see it differently. I do not feel as if I am distracting myself my taking stats. If anything, I would be more distracted if I DIDN'T take the stats

It is just my mind that runs a million miles an hour

Forget thinking? As a player of Ferrer size, my mind is my greatest asset. How many times have you watched a match and thought: "My God this player X is talented, but where is his mind? Brainless errors!"

My mind works on overdrive all the time. I read in Tilden, or was it Budge's book, where they say: "You focus during the point, you think between the points." And that is what I do.

Oh and don't worry about putting in the yards, I put it so many yards, it is crazy. I have gotten in trouble in the past, pushing too hard and getting injured, if anything I need to scale back a bit. This shoulder is my main concern at the moment, once I heal it up, I believe the rest will come in time.

Thank you very much for the support and the ideas, my good man
I suppose thinking can be quite a good think too, I guess it would be more concerning if you didn't think at all rather than do haha
yes don't grind yourself down into dust!
I've probably been having the Nike slogan in my head too much with 'just do it'
but either way you're trying and what is that saying, good men give something a try and move on if they fail, but great men keep trying until they succeed.
at least you're trying, that's the #1 recipe to life and getting things done. P.S. and eat your veggies!

<3 Roger Federer <3 David Ferrer <3 Juan Martin Del Potro <3 Stan Wawrinka <3

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline  
post #300 of 5010 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 06:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,596
                     
Re: Let me tell you a story of what happened in my tennis career last weekend...

Man, I really want to see you play. Come on, upload some videos for us.
paseo is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome