movie stuff - Page 117 - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1741 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Registered User
 
Ben.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 27
Posts: 12,897
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
I hate it, that's why I didn't see Spider-Man


Gosh this is beyond stupid and rude!!!

What up, no more comics ideas for the men if steel?
It is just incredibly cynical and lazy
Ben. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1742 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Registered User
 
Lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 29
Posts: 7,481
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat__boy View Post
Yup..... rebooting Has to be the worst trend of recent Hollywood. Worse than cash grabbing sequels, comic book movies and remakes.
Yeah. It requires close to 0 originality, since many comics have been redone or rebooted before and thus it just cashes in on the same old stories but with better CGI.

After Nadal beat Monfils at Doha, before AO 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline  
post #1743 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Registered User
 
Punky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: English Myple and proud
Posts: 33,589
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat__boy View Post
It is just incredibly cynical and lazy
Greedy, thats the word
i have no idea why ppl will pay to see the same movie and its been just a few years since the movie Series was over.

change the actor but dont start again, theres so many ways and villains for a lifetime.

Hug it out as long as it takes, people
--------------------------------------------
"People were created to be loved
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline  
post #1744 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Registered User
 
Kolya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 11,324
                     
Re: movie stuff

Argo - Best Picture
Ang Lee - Best Director
DDL - Best Actor (3rd win!)
Christoph Waltz - Best Supporting Actor

Robin Bo Carl Söderling
Kolya is offline  
post #1745 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Registered User
 
Ben.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 27
Posts: 12,897
                     
Re: movie stuff

Don't think there were any big surprises. Director, Actress and Supporting Actor were slightly open but they went the most likely way in the end.

Decent speeches from what I've seen. Tarantino, Waltz, Affleck and Day-Lewis were all good. Very happy for Quentin to pick up a second one, albeit a film too late. Love Waltz but it doesn't seem right for him to have two Oscars when Philip Seymour Hoffman only has one.
Ben. is offline  
post #1746 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Registered User
 
Punky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: English Myple and proud
Posts: 33,589
                     
Re: movie stuff

im so glad DDLwon the best actor, i wanted the best movie but i know all the buz is with Argo so that wont happen.

glad the real J.LO won for the best actrss in a leading role, she and Kristen Stewart areat the same age...look where she is and wheres the other..

Hug it out as long as it takes, people
--------------------------------------------
"People were created to be loved
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline  
post #1747 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Registered User
 
Ben.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 27
Posts: 12,897
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
im so glad DDLwon the best actor, i wanted the best movie but i know all the buz is with Argo so that wont happen.

glad the real J.LO won for the best actrss in a leading role, she and Kristen Stewart areat the same age...look where she is and wheres the other..
J-Law Let's hope J-Lo never wins one
Ben. is offline  
post #1748 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Registered User
 
Punky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: English Myple and proud
Posts: 33,589
                     
Re: movie stuff

she will win the Razzie awards

Hug it out as long as it takes, people
--------------------------------------------
"People were created to be loved
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline  
post #1749 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Ace Loveforty
 
scarecrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tirana, ALBANIA
Posts: 81,809
                     
Re: movie stuff

[youtube]2_X0NAv9K5c[/youtube]

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=378

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline  
post #1750 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Registered User
 
Sophitia36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
                     
Re: movie stuff

I'm glad that Daniel Day-Lewis won. I'm not crazy about the trend of giving so many awards to biopics, but anyway. I love Daniel so I don't care. What a great speech he made, too! Funny, witty and humble at the same time.

I haven't seen Happiness Therapy yet. But I loved Jennifer Lawrence in the Hunger Games. Of course, a fair number of people felt they had to dismiss her performance as Katniss because, you know, it's a movie for young adults, not a grand historical biopic or a ridiculously hyped up, pompous musical (Les Mis wink wink )... But I thought her performance was one of the best I had seen in this type of movies. So I don't know yet what she was like in this new film but I'm not surprised, and pleased to see her rewarded.

I won't comment on Anne Hathaway, except to say, what can you expect, after such an Oscar campaign, there was no way she wasn't going to get it.


Well, anyway, almost every year, the Oscars remind me of this awesome Cracked article
http://www.cracked.com/article_17608...very-time.html
Sophitia36 is offline  
post #1751 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Registered User
 
Kolya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 11,324
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat__boy View Post
Don't think there were any big surprises. Director, Actress and Supporting Actor were slightly open but they went the most likely way in the end.

Decent speeches from what I've seen. Tarantino, Waltz, Affleck and Day-Lewis were all good. Very happy for Quentin to pick up a second one, albeit a film too late. Love Waltz but it doesn't seem right for him to have two Oscars when Philip Seymour Hoffman only has one.
Waltz's 2 wins were pretty much for playing similar characters but he does play them well though.

I like him because in his interview his English is incredibly articulate and sophisticated.

Robin Bo Carl Söderling
Kolya is offline  
post #1752 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Registered User
 
Sophitia36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
Waltz's 2 wins were pretty much for playing similar characters but he does play them well though.

I like him because in his interview his English is incredibly articulate and sophisticated.
I feel the same. I loved him both in Inglorious Basterds and Django, but for me, he's more or less playing the same character (of course Landa is evil, while the guy from Django is rather a good guy, but otherwise, they're pretty similar).

I would have liked to see Leonardo Di Caprio score at least a nomination for Django. He was amazing.

As for the Razzie... For me there's absolutely no doubt that it should go to Tom Hooper for Les Mis. I would spare the actors because, although I thought they looked ridiculous throughout the movie, I think it wasn't their fault. It was really how the whole thing was put together, how they were filmed, and all the terrible choices that were made by the director.
But the Razzies are even more conventional than the Oscars, in a way. Just as you can win an Oscar with a bad movie that has been hyped up like mad, you can also win a Razzie for a decent movie if the press decided to pick on it for some reason. Sometimes when I see a movie years later and I discover that it got plenty of Razzies when it came out, I'm really surprised.
Sophitia36 is offline  
post #1753 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:51 AM
Registered User
 
Mr. Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,950
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post
I'm glad that Daniel Day-Lewis won. I'm not crazy about the trend of giving so many awards to biopics, but anyway. I love Daniel so I don't care. What a great speech he made, too! Funny, witty and humble at the same time.

I won't comment on Anne Hathaway, except to say, what can you expect, after such an Oscar campaign, there was no way she wasn't going to get it.

Well, anyway, almost every year, the Oscars remind me of this awesome Cracked article
http://www.cracked.com/article_17608...very-time.html
Not surprised that some of the top critics are calling DDL the greatest actor EVER. That says a lot since he's in no small company with: brando, deniro, pacino, newman, hopkins, nicholson and many others.

So you don't like Anne? I think she has a lot of potential as she gets more roles that aren't the cutesy, adolescent type. She has big talent and more range than portman or knightley. No one cries better than Portman though. She can cry hysterically at the drop of a hat , but can't seem to shake off that adolescent vibe; I can't decide if she's endearing or gets on my nerves. I was very impressed with Knightley in Pride and Prejudice, but it seems that she takes that maniacal toothy grin to too many roles . Her attempt to play a mentally ill patient in A Dangerous Method was beyond comical. I never laughed that hard since dumb and dumber, and that's not what the director was going for.

I really think that Anne, like DDL is one of those rare actors that can truly morph into a role and become someone else.

Novak Djokovic nş1!
The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014 * AUSSIE OPEN 2015 * Indian Wells * Miami
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Either you get him or you don't!

Last edited by Mr. Oracle; 02-27-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Mr. Oracle is offline  
post #1754 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Registered User
 
Sophitia36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Not surprised that some of the top critics are calling DDL the greatest actor EVER. That says a lot since he's in no small company with: brando, deniro, pacino, newman, hopkins, nicholson and many others.

So you don't like Anne? I think she has a lot of potential as she gets more roles that aren't the cutesy, adolescent type. She has big talent and more range than portman or knightley. No one cries better than Portman though. She can cry hysterically at the drop of a hat , but can't seem to shake off that adolescent vibe; I can't decide if she's endearing or gets on my nerves. I was very impressed with Knightley in Pride and Prejudice, but it seems that she takes that maniacal toothy grin to too many roles . Her attempt to play a mentally ill patient in A Dangerous Method was beyond comical. I never laughed that hard since dumb and dumber, and that's not what the director was going for.

I really think that Anne, like DDL is one of those rare actors that can truly morph into a role and become someone else.
No, I have nothing at all against Anne Hathaway. But I think her performance in Les Miserables was ridiculously hyped up. For me, crying hysterically in front of a camera does not constitute great acting... But on the whole, I blame the director, not the actors, for the disaster that was Les Mis.

I'm also really tired of all the fuss that they make around actors doing crazy things for roles. I know, it's a paradox, because I love Daniel Day-Lewis, and God knows they did (and still do) make a lot of fuss around how he stays in character constantly, blablabla...
But I don't care. What I'm interested in is the result. If it works like that for Daniel, good for him, he's amazing in practically all of his roles. But I'm getting really annoyed by the fact that promoting an actor or an actress for an Oscar now almost entirely revolves around, not the performance itself, but all the sacrifices that an actor has made for the role.

IMO, people need to stop with the religion of authenticity, and remember that the essence of cinema, of theatre, or acting, is PRETENDING. So who cares if Anne Hathaway lost plenty of weight to play Fantine? Who cares that she cut her hair for real? Make-up artists exist for a reason. Would her performance be even better if she had also got her teeth removed "for real"? If she had caught tuberculosis (or whatever the disease was) "for real"?
This "authencity" BS is exactly what makes films like Les Mis disastrous. For the sake of authenticity, they made the actors sing "for real", and as a result, the songs are really poor. They refused to even make a studio version, because that's not "authentic" enough. Well, maybe that's not authentic, but the songs would have been great instead of being barely average.

That reminds me of a story about a theatre director who, being obsessed with that "authenticity" trend, got outraged at the suggestion that he use "fake marble" for his set, even though the artists swore that it would look just like real marble (they were good at their jobs!) He decided to make real marble come all the way from Italy, and it cost a fortune. When the marble was installed, he suddenly realised: "but it's shiny! It reflects the lights far too much!" The artists said "Well, of course, it's shiny, it's marble." "But that won't do!" So in the end, they painted fake marble on the real marble...

I love Natalie Portman and yet I felt exactly the same about Black Swan. All that fuss about how she supposedly had reached the level of a professional dancer by training like mad once a year... That's ridiculous. A professional dancer trains like this for her entire life. And in the end, it turned out that she had been dubbed in the vast majority of scenes, anyway.
Once again, the hype was about everything but her actual performance. Was she better in Black Swan than in, say, V for Vendetta? I don't think so. Would her performance in Black Swan have been less good if she had NOT lost weight and claimed to have danced most of the scenes for real? No. But losing weight and pretending to be a dancer, that's what created the hype and led her to the Oscar.

As for Keira Knightley, to be honest, I think the problem with her is that she gets cast in roles that are just not appropriate for her. Joe Wright's version of Pride and Prejudice does have some interesting aspects (I used to hate it, then I studied it in detail, and I saw why it wasn't a bad film after all, though it's not a faithful adaptation at all). But for me, Knightley makes an awful Elizabeth Bennet. It's not that she's bad, she's just so far from being Lizzy. Generally, I don't think she's necessarily a bad actress, but I've never been impressed by her in any particular role. I always feel she could be interchangeable with many other actresses. It could just be that I haven't seen her best movies, though (Anna Karenina, Atonement...). I rather liked her in The Duchess.
Sophitia36 is offline  
post #1755 of 1768 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:56 AM
Registered User
 
Mr. Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,950
                     
Re: movie stuff

@ Sophitia36

Quote:
No, I have nothing at all against Anne Hathaway. But I think her performance in Les Miserables was ridiculously hyped up. For me, crying hysterically in front of a camera does not constitute great acting... But on the whole, I blame the director, not the actors, for the disaster that was Les Mis.
If all she does is cry, he should have got Natalie Portman for the role lol. I agree, it doesn’t take much skill to cry. All it would take for me to cry on cue is to think of my childhood kitten “muffin” which died mysteriously. I’m inconsolable. Give me an oscar.

Quote:
I'm also really tired of all the fuss that they make around actors doing crazy things for roles. I know, it's a paradox, because I love Daniel Day-Lewis, and God knows they did (and still do) make a lot of fuss around how he stays in character constantly, blablabla...
But I don't care. What I'm interested in is the result. If it works like that for Daniel, good for him, he's amazing in practically all of his roles. But I'm getting really annoyed by the fact that promoting an actor or an actress for an Oscar now almost entirely revolves around, not the performance itself, but all the sacrifices that an actor has made for the role.
Funny you should mention that because I was thinking about a recent Anthony Hopkins interview, where he in typical tight lipped British fashion took a stab at in-character actors, saying that his experience was that most of them were “not very good at all.” DDL is the exception but I thought Hopkins was hilarious.

Quote:
IMO, people need to stop with the religion of authenticity, and remember that the essence of cinema, of theatre, or acting, is PRETENDING. So who cares if Anne Hathaway lost plenty of weight to play Fantine? Who cares that she cut her hair for real? Make-up artists exist for a reason. Would her performance be even better if she had also got her teeth removed "for real"? If she had caught tuberculosis (or whatever the disease was) "for real"?
Yes, perhaps there should be a different award for that kind of commitment. The oscar is about convincing acting. Period.

Quote:
I love Natalie Portman and yet I felt exactly the same about Black Swan. All that fuss about how she supposedly had reached the level of a professional dancer by training like mad once a year... That's ridiculous. A professional dancer trains like this for her entire life. And in the end, it turned out that she had been dubbed in the vast majority of scenes, anyway.
Once again, the hype was about everything but her actual performance. Was she better in Black Swan than in, say, V for Vendetta? I don't think so. Would her performance in Black Swan have been less good if she had NOT lost weight and claimed to have danced most of the scenes for real? No. But losing weight and pretending to be a dancer, that's what created the hype and led her to the Oscar.
I tell you what. I found her actual performance underwhelming as well and I’ll tell you why ! I remember Al Pacino getting panned for his performance in The Merchant of Venice. Critics who were familiar with Shakespeare and the bard, criticized him for taking the safe route in his portrayal of Shylock. They noticed that an unskilled actor takes the easy way out by performing the role in a hushed, subdued manner. Essentially very little range to be criticised. That’s how Portman played that role. She whispered her way through the whole movie. Sheesh, I noticed this right away and boy was I indignant!

Quote:
As for Keira Knightley, to be honest, I think the problem with her is that she gets cast in roles that are just not appropriate for her. Joe Wright's version of Pride and Prejudice does have some interesting aspects (I used to hate it, then I studied it in detail, and I saw why it wasn't a bad film after all, though it's not a faithful adaptation at all). But for me, Knightley makes an awful Elizabeth Bennet. It's not that she's bad, she's just so far from being Lizzy.
It’s been a few years since I read P&P. I was not too fond of it and found it a little harlequin romancy. From what I remember, Lizzy was a strong, confident, and independent woman in stark contrast to the typical female norms of the time. I believe that's what Austin was going for. I thought Kiera portrayed those qualities really well.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts about it.

It’s a real pleasure debating with you!

Novak Djokovic nş1!
The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014 * AUSSIE OPEN 2015 * Indian Wells * Miami
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Either you get him or you don't!

Last edited by Mr. Oracle; 02-28-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Mr. Oracle is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome