movie stuff - Page 105 - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1561 of 1768 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
                     
Re: movie stuff

So it has been officially announced that The Hobbit will be a trilogy.

This can only be good news.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...rticle4449726/
BigJohn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1562 of 1768 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Registered User
 
The Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 12,419
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
So it has been officially announced that The Hobbit will be a trilogy.

This can only be good news.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...rticle4449726/
I hope they rapidly release them after eachother, and not wait 18 months like they usually do.
The Prince is offline  
post #1563 of 1768 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
                     
Re: movie stuff

December 2012 and December 2013 as planned for the first two, Summer 2014 for the final chapter.
BigJohn is offline  
post #1564 of 1768 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered User
 
The Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 12,419
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
December 2012 and December 2013 as planned for the first two, Summer 2014 for the final chapter.
That's decent.

I need to re-read The Hobbit before December. Although I've got stacks of novels on my to-do list.
The Prince is offline  
post #1565 of 1768 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
That's decent.

I need to re-read The Hobbit before December. Although I've got stacks of novels on my to-do list.
I can't read those books either Bilbo ot TLOTR. I can start them but they are so boring I can't finish them. So I am very grateful the Mr Jackson is willing to use his magic to tell their stories in an unboring way. I've watched the extended trilogy a few times already and I loved it each time. I expect more of the same with the new one. Although it will be some times before the extended version of the new movies are released. But perhaps not, movies are being released on DVD earlier and earlier these days.
BigJohn is offline  
post #1566 of 1768 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Registered User
 
The Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 12,419
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
I can't read those books either Bilbo ot TLOTR. I can start them but they are so boring I can't finish them. So I am very grateful the Mr Jackson is willing to use his magic to tell their stories in an unboring way. I've watched the extended trilogy a few times already and I loved it each time. I expect more of the same with the new one. Although it will be some times before the extended version of the new movies are released. But perhaps not, movies are being released on DVD earlier and earlier these days.
Tolkien's narrative is of a very particular style, yes.

I tried to read TFOTR when I was about 10, found it utterly dull. Tried again a couple of years later and I found it thrilling.

Each to their own!

It seems DVD releases are being brought forward, but the one DVD I really want this year is 'The Hunger Games' and that will be nearly half a year of waiting, contrary to most blockbusters these days which may only take 3 or 4 months.
The Prince is offline  
post #1567 of 1768 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Tolkien's narrative is of a very particular style, yes.

I tried to read TFOTR when I was about 10, found it utterly dull. Tried again a couple of years later and I found it thrilling.

Each to their own!
The Fjord Of The Rings?
BigJohn is offline  
post #1568 of 1768 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Registered User
 
The Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 12,419
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
The Fjord Of The Rings?
The Fellowship Of The Ring!
The Prince is offline  
post #1569 of 1768 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
The Fellowship Of The Ring!
So you did not read the 3 novels?
BigJohn is offline  
post #1570 of 1768 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Registered User
 
The Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 12,419
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
So you did not read the 3 novels?
No I did, only a couple of years after I first tried to read them. When I first attempted to read the trilogy, I bombed out partway through the first novel. Second try, I waded through the whole series and I'm glad I did.
The Prince is offline  
post #1571 of 1768 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 AM
Registered User
 
dabeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 1,311
                     
Re: movie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
I love this trilogy so much that I have lost nearly all ability to be objective about it. The 4-year wait was certainly worth it. I just saw it again in IMAX on Sunday and the sound effects were glorious. Only downside is that the dialogue was a bit drowned out by the sound. I'm gonna watch it again this weekend, in normal format this time.

I missed the opening scene the first time I saw it. It's probably a bit over the top, but omfg, fucked if my mouth wasn't hanging open the whole time. My only complaint is the Miranda Tate twist at the end that undermined Bane as a truly terrifying villain a little.

Also, Alfred was just bloody amazing in the few scenes he had. I knew what was coming the second time and still cried anyway.


Sent from my iPhone using VS Free
haha not over the top much. they had to top the opening bank heist from TDK and they absolutely did. Yes, IMAX is the only way to see this, well worth the $$ and long drive out.

My biggest complaint is that it's too short and needed more breathing space. Would have liked it to be 3.5 hr long. I thought Bane's fate could have been handled a bit more precisely. This film is not without its flaws but they're small when you take in the scope, the story and sheer spectacle.

Your sig reminds me of how great all the Bruce/Alfred exchanges were. He didn't have much screen time but Caine had the most moving scenes.

Bane did have the best lines in the film tho. Bane vs Bats throwdown in the sewers (intensely brutal, can't believe Nolan put that in the film but it was a great salute to comic book fans), the football stadium speech, the Blackgate prison speech, the way Hardy delivered those lines was remarkable.

Fed telling it like it is
Quote:
"Sometimes you're just happy playing. Some people, some media unfortunately don't understand that it's okay just to play tennis and enjoy it. They always think you have to win everything, it always needs to be a success story, and if it's not obviously what is the point. Maybe you have to go back and think, Why have I started playing tennis? Because I just like it. It's actually sort of a dream hobby that became somewhat of a job. Some people just don't get that ever."
dabeast is offline  
post #1572 of 1768 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered User
 
Ben.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 28
Posts: 12,897
                     
Re: movie stuff

Killing Them Softly

[youtube]lgyLBi_XfBA[/youtube]
Ben. is offline  
post #1573 of 1768 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Registered User
 
tripwires's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Singapore
Age: 30
Posts: 13,526
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeast View Post
haha not over the top much. they had to top the opening bank heist from TDK and they absolutely did. Yes, IMAX is the only way to see this, well worth the $$ and long drive out.

My biggest complaint is that it's too short and needed more breathing space. Would have liked it to be 3.5 hr long. I thought Bane's fate could have been handled a bit more precisely. This film is not without its flaws but they're small when you take in the scope, the story and sheer spectacle.

Your sig reminds me of how great all the Bruce/Alfred exchanges were. He didn't have much screen time but Caine had the most moving scenes.

Bane did have the best lines in the film tho. Bane vs Bats throwdown in the sewers (intensely brutal, can't believe Nolan put that in the film but it was a great salute to comic book fans), the football stadium speech, the Blackgate prison speech, the way Hardy delivered those lines was remarkable.
Was the audio really loud in IMAX for you too? I literally felt my ears hurting.

I agree that it's too short. I can't believe people have said it was draggy. Just like TDK, I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie; but unlike TDK, it never once felt like an over-assault on the senses. And I totally agree that Michael Caine had the most moving scenes. The last scene he had with Christian Bale was one of my favourite scenes in the entire trilogy - cried again the second time I watched it.

Yeah, hardy's acting was really mostly via the delivery of the lines since he was masked for the whole movie save for like 3 seconds, so that means his performance will be underrated. I only really appreciated how fantastic his delivery was the second time I watched it. He really embodied the character, which is why it's sad that his character's fate and te Miranda reveal were a bit anticlimactic. He should've been given a better treatment.

Lastly, sewer showdown - fucking amazing. Fucking. Amazing. Can't wait to watch it for the third time this Sunday.


Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

Roger Federer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Fed's groundstrokes never were that good to begin with.
tripwires is offline  
post #1574 of 1768 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,411
                     
Ivanatis is offline  
post #1575 of 1768 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Registered User
 
Ben.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 28
Posts: 12,897
                     
Re: movie stuff

[youtube]OOsd5d8IVoA[/youtube]
Ben. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome