The World Athletics Thread (Blake fastest ever 100m in a headwind) - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,689
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

Yes, Vlasic was great...

Anyway this stadium is very near the tennis courts of ATP tournament and I have photos there

As for men, the usual low-jump contest and Holm doing some funny hip shaking

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #32 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Tênis Mambembe
 
Zirconek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlantic Ocean
Posts: 36,804
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

low jump

I still have hopes on Baba, he is back from injury but jumping very bad.

Zirconek is offline  
post #33 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,689
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

Looks like Janku got injured today.

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #34 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Tênis Mambembe
 
Zirconek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlantic Ocean
Posts: 36,804
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
Looks like Janku got injured today.
at his age even
the bald guy, Ton, is performing crappy recently

Zirconek is offline  
post #35 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,689
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

And just saw the relay in Stockholm, Polish guys, perfectly crapped

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #36 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Registered User
 
Andre♥'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 29
Posts: 9,005
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Du Rieux View Post
Can Obikwelu speak Portuguese?
Of course. He's in here since he was a teenager.

PORTUGUESE ARMADA!!!


*JOÃO SOUSA* *GASTÃO ELIAS* *FREDERICO GIL* *PEDRO SOUSA* *RUI MACHADO*
Andre♥ is offline  
post #37 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Registered User
 
Andre♥'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 29
Posts: 9,005
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

I love Holm because he is short and wins the competition made for tall men!

Naide Gomes is just going for the long jump. Great choice. She's getting closer to the 7.00m mark.

Nelson Evora has done 17.51m in the triple jump and 8.10 in the long jump this year. He's going to both, but he will just use the long jump as a warm up.

PORTUGUESE ARMADA!!!


*JOÃO SOUSA* *GASTÃO ELIAS* *FREDERICO GIL* *PEDRO SOUSA* *RUI MACHADO*
Andre♥ is offline  
post #38 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Registered User
 
Andre♥'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 29
Posts: 9,005
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

OMG!!!

Looks like Naide jumped 7.01m in Madrid!

EDIT: It's true!!!

http://www.rtp.pt/index.php?article=...isual=16&rss=0

And she's an heptathlon girl! I wonder if she will forget it and stay in the long jump forever.

PORTUGUESE ARMADA!!!


*JOÃO SOUSA* *GASTÃO ELIAS* *FREDERICO GIL* *PEDRO SOUSA* *RUI MACHADO*
Andre♥ is offline  
post #39 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Registered User
 
Alvarillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Madrid
Age: 31
Posts: 1,597
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

Spain has few options of medals. We get a lot of medals in European Championships but not in the WCH because our best events are dominated by Africans in the World ....

Anyway, our best options are:

Pakillo Fernández - 20 KM Walk Race
Ruth Beitia - Some days ago she jumped 2.02 in High Jump
Higuero or Casado in 1.500m
Mario Pestano in Discus Throw
And maybe possibilities in Men 50 Walk Race and Marathon

but it will be very tough for us
We will miss Marta Domínguez a lot

THe SPaNiSH aRMaDa
JuaN CaRLoS FeRReRo
CaRLoS MoYá

RaFaeL NaDaL


RoBReDo - GGLóPeZ - GRaNoLLeRS - MoNTaÑéS - FeR ViCeNTe - aNDuJaR - FeLiCiaNo - IVáN NaVaRRo - DvD FeRReR - VeRDaSCo - BeTo MaRTíN - RaMiReZ-HiDaLGo - HeRNaNDeZ - GiMeNo-TRaVeR - NiCo ALMaGRo
Alvarillo is offline  
post #40 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Registered User
 
delsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,963
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

The poor Salim Sdiri won't be there...

But i hope Doucouré will refind his form until then.
delsa is offline  
post #41 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Registered User
 
Andre♥'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 29
Posts: 9,005
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarillo View Post
Spain has few options of medals. We get a lot of medals in European Championships but not in the WCH because our best events are dominated by Africans in the World ....

Anyway, our best options are:

Pakillo Fernández - 20 KM Walk Race
Ruth Beitia - Some days ago she jumped 2.02 in High Jump
Higuero or Casado in 1.500m
Mario Pestano in Discus Throw
And maybe possibilities in Men 50 Walk Race and Marathon

but it will be very tough for us
We will miss Marta Domínguez a lot
Marta is the athletics version of Arantxa. Fighting spirit at its best. She doesn't have a great potential, but she fights for her life and that's why I love her so much.

Casado is so boring. His 1500m tactics are annoying and it will be hard to see him handling the first position in the last lap with the Africans running for their lives.

They can give gold to Pakillo already.

High Jump and Discus Throw is a question of luck. A good moment and you have a medal. A bad first throw/jump and you're pretty much history.

Spain has a slight chance of a medal in the 3000m steeplechase. La Armada is very strong and ready to perform well in a slow race.

PORTUGUESE ARMADA!!!


*JOÃO SOUSA* *GASTÃO ELIAS* *FREDERICO GIL* *PEDRO SOUSA* *RUI MACHADO*
Andre♥ is offline  
post #42 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Registered User
 
Alvarillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Madrid
Age: 31
Posts: 1,597
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvester View Post
Marta is the athletics version of Arantxa. Fighting spirit at its best. She doesn't have a great potential, but she fights for her life and that's why I love her so much.

Casado is so boring. His 1500m tactics are annoying and it will be hard to see him handling the first position in the last lap with the Africans running for their lives.

They can give gold to Pakillo already.

High Jump and Discus Throw is a question of luck. A good moment and you have a medal. A bad first throw/jump and you're pretty much history.

Spain has a slight chance of a medal in the 3000m steeplechase. La Armada is very strong and ready to perform well in a slow race.
This year our runners in 3000m steeplechase are not performing well and now in Europe is also the swede that was close to beat the European record yesterday and has the second best european mark ever some weeks ago .... sooo very difficult ....

Yes Ruth and Mario is a question of luck, hope they have, they deserve it!!
Also is a woman in 3000 steeplechase, Rosa Morató with the 4th European mark this year, but i can't see her winning a medal, maybe she could beat the national record in a fast race


I'm amazed with Naide and Nelson, i belive that thet can give very nice moments for Portugal in Osaka, i saw them in Madrid and

THe SPaNiSH aRMaDa
JuaN CaRLoS FeRReRo
CaRLoS MoYá

RaFaeL NaDaL


RoBReDo - GGLóPeZ - GRaNoLLeRS - MoNTaÑéS - FeR ViCeNTe - aNDuJaR - FeLiCiaNo - IVáN NaVaRRo - DvD FeRReR - VeRDaSCo - BeTo MaRTíN - RaMiReZ-HiDaLGo - HeRNaNDeZ - GiMeNo-TRaVeR - NiCo ALMaGRo
Alvarillo is offline  
post #43 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvester View Post
Of course. He's in here since he was a teenager.
You'd be surprised how many of these athletes don't know the language of the country they represent.

I seriously doubt whether Mark McCoy speaks German, but he won a gold for Austria.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #44 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
Yes, Vlasic was great...

Anyway this stadium is very near the tennis courts of ATP tournament and I have photos there

As for men, the usual low-jump contest and Holm doing some funny hip shaking
It's an old stadium and I remember when Patrik Sjoberg jumped 2,42 on his final jump.

Stefan Holm has jumped 2,40 but it was indoors and he is only about 1,83m just makes it so much better that jump, but it really is the low jump at the moment.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #45 of 1024 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: The Athletics Thread. World Champs in Osaka coming up

The Winner Takes it all and not the ABBA song, this is what happens when Patrik Sjöberg, Carlo Tränhardt, Jerome Carter and Dietmar Mögenburg all decide they are talented in other areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEf7na79eUY

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome