Mens Tennis Forums banner

TMC: Andy def. Roger (via Dahveed) :p

15K views 558 replies 48 participants last post by  tangytennis 
#1 · (Edited)
:p

#52 ·
Re: Shimmying into Shanghai--the 2005 Masters Cup thread

With Andy you just never know, why don't I have a hard time seeing him going Paris..Austin..Philadelphia..Shanghai:(

Reactions: cobalt60
#54 ·

Why is Marat going to Shanghai? The thing is, Marat is not playing. Andy is, so Marat can go there late and it's fine, maybe he's just going to participate in the opening ceremonies on the 12th and give a press conference.

But Andy would be there to play - he has to get there earlier than the 11th, that would give him less than 2 days to adjust to a HUGE time difference and very different playing conditions, a new stadium that he's never been to before, etc. If he's got any chance to do well in Shanghai, he has to get there before the 11th.

According to the Shanghai papers, Federer is already there. I hope that Andy realizes before it's too late in his career that getting to tournaments early for proper preparation is SO vital to success.

#55 ·

Andy! Good luck in Shanghai! I can't wait to watch his matches on TV :D
I hope his back gets better though...

BTW, if anyone has a messenger, message me :D I had a fascinating conversation with Partygirl about Andy... it was lengthy and detailed :devil:
YIM: Volcanicrain
AIM: Setrima
I have MSN but I'm not comfortable giving it out for alll eyes to see here :) PM Me :)

#56 ·

Debstah said:
Why is Marat going to Shanghai? The thing is, Marat is not playing. Andy is, so Marat can go there late and it's fine, maybe he's just going to participate in the opening ceremonies on the 12th and give a press conference.

But Andy would be there to play - he has to get there earlier than the 11th, that would give him less than 2 days to adjust to a HUGE time difference and very different playing conditions, a new stadium that he's never been to before, etc. If he's got any chance to do well in Shanghai, he has to get there before the 11th.

According to the Shanghai papers, Federer is already there. I hope that Andy realizes before it's too late in his career that getting to tournaments early for proper preparation is SO vital to success.
Yes, Deb, that's just my guess ane hope. Hope he will come, even just attend some shows like Marat.

Roger has come. He seems very good shaped. His mother and sister will also come here later. Today, on 7th, Agassi and Nadal will also come to Shanghai.
We have checked the airline that Andy has already booked the 9th tickets with Dean. I thinik the booking is before his injure.

anyway, our plan will not change, i.e. to meet him on 9th at the airport.

#57 ·

Freedom Reigns said:
With Andy you just never know, why don't I have a hard time seeing him going Paris..Austin..Philadelphia..Shanghai:(
I think he gets frequent flyer miles if he charges those plane tickets to his AmEx card. :lol:

#58 ·

SO SAD!
good luck to you ,Andy@
We've got cheer up, looking forward to his wonderful performance in Shanghai !!!!!!!!
Yes, he will!
Will overwhelms everything!

#59 ·

athena_wu said:
Yeah, Freedom, who knows Andy?

I guess maybe he won't come on time. May be he will come like Marat on 11th.
Calm down, relax!
There is no need to worry too much about that , I believe :worship: :worship:
Andy will be Ok, absolutely. God will help him out ! :worship: :worship:
Cross our fingers for him :wavey:

#62 ·

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, according to Eurosport, the draw is Wednesday..... so Andy does not have that much time to decide whether he is gonna go or not.

#64 ·

Noelle said:
OMG IT'S A STICKY!

*dies of a heart attack*
Ah! Welcome to the MTF Hall of fame :)
Making a sticky here, i believe, is the equivalent of making handprints on the Hollywood Boulevard, so bravo! :kiss:

Reactions: cobalt60
#65 ·

Andy please go to Shanghai, I'll give you pizza and beer ;)

Reactions: snaillyyy
#66 ·

Blargy...blarg...

I guess it doesn't matter if Andy plays shanghai or not. It would be cool if he did play and then got stuck in Rogers group and then Andy gets to play an out of form Roger....yea..and get a win for some confidence!

His back will be straight by next week. :D

#67 · (Edited)

Debstah said:
Anyway, according to Eurosport, the draw is Wednesday..... so Andy does not have that much time to decide whether he is gonna go or not.
we knew this, but
f u c k !
.....im not happy- oh wait...positive thoughts we think positivley, thats right.

i want shimmying...i want a shanghai surprise and withdrawls dont count :wavey:

#69 ·

I'm currently sticking with my practice of going negative about Andy's prospects. Thanks to my reverse psychology, Andy has won Lyon and almost won Paris. He lost Paris because I broke my concentration and started thinking positively again, hence his bad back. Sorry about that. Back to bad thoughts.

Andy's gonna lose first round to Coria. :eek:

#70 ·

tangerine_dream said:
I'm currently sticking with my practice of going negative about Andy's prospects. Thanks to my reverse psychology, Andy has won Lyon and almost won Paris. He lost Paris because I broke my concentration and started thinking positively again, hence his bad back. Sorry about that. Back to bad thoughts.

Andy's gonna lose first round to Coria. :eek:
:sobbing: :timebomb:

#71 ·

OK, so Andy was at the charity event (as posted by Tangy in the Pic thread):
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2642186&postcount=2493

:eek: He'd better play Shanghai.

I only recently saw this article about Paris and I'm not sure it's been posted, so I'm only posting the segment relevant to injured players etc.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-1859398,00.html
Firstly, five of the six marquee players of the men’s game offered their apologies in the form of doctor’s certificates. Then, just 17 months after revering Gaston Gaudio as French Open champion, an exasperated Parisian public vented its disgust by booing the Argentine off the court after an embarrassingly half-hearted performance saw him lose without winning a game in the second set of his quarter- final.

Now tournament director Cedric Pioline, denied the services of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin and Andre Agassi, must placate his sponsors and pacify the paying public by presenting a far from enticing final between an accomplished but hardly charismatic Croat (Ljubicic) and an undeniably talented but unseeded 20-year-old Czech (Tomas Berdych, a 6-1 3-6 6-3 winner over compatriot Radek Stepanek).

Apart from Safin, most are expected to be fit for the grand finale Masters Cup that begins in Shanghai in a week’s time. Not surprisingly, Pioline is questioning his misfortune. As a former top-flight competitor, he understood the reasons but it did not diminish the irritation at being forced to change the posters advertising the event numerous times in recent weeks.

“I am perplexed more than angry,” said the 36-year-old. “But something has to be changed. They (the players) . . . are on a merry-go-round that is getting too fast. I know only too well what it’s like.”

#72 ·

I don't know if this article has been posted...
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17170058%5E3162,00.html

ANDY Roddick remains in doubt for the Masters Cup in Shanghai and might yet be joined on the sidelines by Lleyton Hewitt.

World No. 3 Roddick is nursing a sore back, while Hewitt is overcoming groin and toe problems.

Roddick and Hewitt will need to confirm their availability in the next 24 hours as Chinese officials prepare for tomorrow's draw and opening ceremony.

The tournament starts on Sunday.

Hewitt, twice a Masters champion and beaten in last season's final by Roger Federer, has not played since the Thailand Open in late September.

He retired from the tournament with a groin strain 45 minutes before he was due to face Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan in the quarter-finals.

The baseliner then had toe surgery. He has since resumed training in Sydney with coach Roger Rasheed.

Roddick is battling chronic back soreness. If he is unable to recover, he will join Australian Open champion Marat Safin (knee) as a Shanghai absentee.

"I'm not as optimistic as I was two days ago," Roddick said.

"I'll go back (to the US), we'll treat it and if I feel like I can go, I'll go. If not, then I won't."

Federer, Rafael Nadal, Roddick, Hewitt, Andre Agassi, Guillermo Coria and Nikolay Davydenko make up the Shanghai field.

Argentines Gaston Gaudio and David Nalbandian could slot into the field if any of the top eight players withdraw.

Meanwhile, Mark Philippoussis yesterday celebrated his 29th birthday with a career-low season-ending ranking.

With only the Masters Cup to be decided, Philippoussis can do little to improve his ranking of 171st in the world.

Having spent much of another horrid season outside the top 200, Philippoussis will end the year with his flickering career on a knife-edge.

The Wimbledon and US Open finalist last finished with a season-ending mark beyond 150th in 1994 when, at 18, he ranked 304th.

#74 ·

athena_wu said:
all of us hope so. Andy should come and attend the match.

Hey, your new avator. I like it. :wavey:
:devil: :devil: :devil:
You mean the current one?
I love it too :p :p :p
I still believe Andy wiil be OK, and hope you yourself could stand it even if he won't come. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

#75 ·

:lol: of course Lauren!

#76 ·

God! a really depressed news

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.