Found these in the "atp insider archive" on the official atp website.
“Not yet. It’s my first day on the job. Give me some time.”
- Marat Safin on not breaking a racquet in his first match of the year against Michael Chang in Auckland.
“Thank you. Thank you for the compliment.”
- Marat Safin after being asked if he had lost some weight when he had actually gained two kilos.
"Do you expect me to smile like an idiot on court? Nobody likes to lose, and I can’t be relaxed when I see on the scoreboard that I’m losing and making stupid mistakes. That’s just the way I am.”
- Marat Safin in Rotterdam on his demeanor following a first round loss to Max
"He's catching, but he's young, you know. He has very good potential. He's a great player, and his potential is No. 1. I assume he's going to play a lot of matches, he's going to break other racquets. Is going to be big fight, you know. Depends how long I going to play, you know. ... I think he throws the racquet with emotions. That's how you
should throw the racquet."
- Goran Ivanisevic on Marat Safin's chances to pass him for the lead in most career broken rackets
"I pay the bills, I pay everything."
- Marat Safin, who recently won the ASAP Sports Most Quotable Player of the Year, on how he intends to keep new coach Mats Wilander happy.
“I don’t want to make him rich.”
- Marat Safin explaining why he’s making an extra effort to break less racquets - these days he gets fined $100 by coach Mats Wilander for each one he smashes