News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti - Page 213 - MensTennisForums.com

 1Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3181 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Registered User
 
MariaV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 42,171
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieNik View Post
And I thought that after his retirement the trolling will stop .....
Marat isn't a living legend for nothing, Anna!

FAN OF THE BEAUTY
MariaV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3182 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 197
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
What I wanted to say is that Tarpi probably wouldn't nominate him if he didn't know that Marat's nomination has support inside Olympic commetee and that his chances might be pretty high. Elections in russia are never real elections
Well it could go either way Either he's nominated because they know he'll win or because they know he won't. In any case, my point is that just the nomination in itself is an honour, independently of the result. I personally think from the way he talks in his interviews that it's something he like to do and where he'd do a good job.

Anyway, even if he doesn't win now I think he'll eventually do it someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer
What I wanted to say is that Tarpi probably wouldn't nominate him if he didn't know that Marat's nomination has support inside Olympic commetee and that his chances might be pretty high. Elections in russia are never real elections
That's true in many other countries too Political/organizational nominations usually depend on lobbies and inside support. They are not like 'real' elections
Alya_C is offline  
post #3183 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 62
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
I don't watch CNN or BBC. I actually live in Russia and I have a right to express my opinion about my country. For those who live in Russia it's not a sectret how some things are done here. And for the record I didn't say that sports committe selection is totally riddled.
very very saddening for a Russian to tell the world
that her countrys election process is not real as you
have said!!

sorry to say you did not answer my questions directly and clearly, WEll THEN let it pass....

No body and not me to say that you have no right to
talk about your country. Say more if you must!!

By the way i am Russian by spirit and blood

Last edited by maratmann; 11-24-2009 at 01:01 PM.
maratmann is offline  
post #3184 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 62
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alya_C View Post
Well it could go either way Either he's nominated because they know he'll win or because they know he won't. In any case, my point is that just the nomination in itself is an honour, independently of the result. I personally think from the way he talks in his interviews that it's something he like to do and where he'd do a good job.

Anyway, even if he doesn't win now I think he'll eventually do it someday.



That's true in many other countries too Political/organizational nominations usually depend on lobbies and inside support. They are not like 'real' elections
the total structure and methods of election throughout the world and organisations are fraught with lobby groups etc. But the very fact that there is legitimate registering of parties and with the one man one vote rule, the results are obviously the practise of democracy.and the freedom to make free choices and make ones views heard . In some countires other tactics are used to undermine all of this: money politics, unfair use of media coverage, threats. It happens everywhere unfortunayely even in so called highly trumpeted democracies in USA, India ,etc
maratmann is offline  
post #3185 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:55 PM
country flag mer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moscow
Posts: 5,734
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alya_C View Post
Well it could go either way Either he's nominated because they know he'll win or because they know he won't.
I agree. But I'm curious to know what was behind this last moment nomination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alya_C View Post
That's true in many other countries too Political/organizational nominations usually depend on lobbies and inside support. They are not like 'real' elections
that's what I meant, thank you
mer is offline  
post #3186 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Registered User
 
MariaV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 42,171
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
I agree. But I'm curious to know what was behind this last moment nomination.
We'll know that soon enough.
But I'm sure the sly or shrewd (however you want to say) Tarpi knows what he's doing. I have a total trust in him.

FAN OF THE BEAUTY
MariaV is offline  
post #3187 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Registered User
 
momo_momo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 532
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

http://www.sport-express.ru/newspaper/2009-11-23/15_2/

Google translation:

Quote:
Olympism

Former first racket of the world Marat Safin was willing to run for vice-president of Olympic Committee of Russia.

SAFIN will struggle for Vice-president R & D

The candidacy of Safin, who has just concluded a career of professional tennis player, has put forward Tennis Federation of Russia. For the three vice-presidential candidates about a half a dozen candidates, including acting vice-presidential ROC Gennady Aleshin, Vladimir Vasin and Vladimir Loginov. According to chief of public relations and press service of the ROC Gennady Shvets, in the near future a special committee will consider candidates submitted documents to ensure their compliance with the regulations. One of the most fundamental aspects - the date of filing the application (in accordance with established rules of the ROC period expired on 16 November at 18.00). Themselves as leaders of the ROC elections held on December 17.

Vladas LASITSKAS, Eugene Fedyakov

Shamil Tarpischev, IOC member, President of Tennis Federation of Russia:

- Throughout this year, Safin led serious work with international sports organizations, including improving the status of "Kremlin Cup. And already achieved in this work some success. Of course, the experience of the functionary Marat not enough, however, he is able to informally with a sense of humor to communicate with people who are at the highest positions. Moreover Safin knows professional sports from the inside. Of course, Marat must receive appropriate education, but now he could bring great benefit to the Olympic Committee of Russia.

You have been awarded a red card.

Red card of LOVE AHAHAHA. Bite me.
momo_momo is offline  
post #3188 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Registered User
 
davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 270
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

What purpose is this Olympic Committee supposed to have? Promote Russia in Vancouver & London? Organize & promote the games in Sochi? Or is Russia planning to apply for summer games? Can anybody tell me what the big deal is?
davis is offline  
post #3189 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
luxsword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bzh, France
Posts: 2,596
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Found this.

Quote:
What is a National Olympic Committee (NOC)?

National Olympic Committees (NOC) exist in various countries of the world. NOC are one of the three constituents of the Olympic Movement together with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and International Federations. The mission of the NOCs is to develop, promote and protect the Olympic Movement in their respective countries, in accordance with the Olympic Charter. The jurisdiction of an NOC must coincide with the limits of the country in which it is established and has its headquarters. In the Olympic Charter, the expression “country” means an independent State recognized by the international community. Today there are 205 NOCs, 192 of which coincide with independent states recognized by the United Nations and 13 representing sport territories recognized before 1996.
And they put a link to the Russian Olympic Committee. No idea what it says, ofc.

Hippo, hippo! Parting is such sweet sorrow
That I shall say hippo till it be morrow.

(Romeo and Juliet, II.ii)
Comic relief >>> http://english.bouletcorp.com/
luxsword is offline  
post #3190 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
luxsword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bzh, France
Posts: 2,596
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Quote:
National Olympic Committees (or NOCs) are the national constituents of the worldwide Olympic movement. Subject to the controls of the International Olympic Committee, they are responsible for organizing their people's participation in the Olympic Games. They may nominate cities within their respective areas as candidates for future Olympic Games. NOCs also promote the development of athletes and training of coaches and officials at a national level within their geographies.
Dear wiki.

Hippo, hippo! Parting is such sweet sorrow
That I shall say hippo till it be morrow.

(Romeo and Juliet, II.ii)
Comic relief >>> http://english.bouletcorp.com/
luxsword is offline  
post #3191 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 186
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by maratmann View Post
Again very crude assumptions to imply and suggest and insult that
elections in Russia are never true elections? I ask you: have you
participated in the elections in Russia. Any earth shaking experience that leads you to conclude thus?? Tell us then of your experince? Or, are you making a staement based on CNN or the BBC.
tell us?

And do you persnally know that sports committes selection is riddled
with faults and bad practises? What is your concrete knowledge about this? Explain your comments pls
Listen, Maratmann, please don't feel offended about me joining your dialogue with Mer...but as a fellow Central&Eastern Europe citizen I can't help myself from adding a thing or two.

Fact is, dear, in this parts of the world, where I live, where Mer lives, corruption and co. are rather frequent. And thats no CNN stuff for us, this is every day reality that we have to deal with. You say you are Russian by blood and soul...although I do not know what that really means, I personally belive that (i) this doesn't really make you Russian and (ii) you should feel lucky about being so unaware about such things!

Summing up, of course it's nice to say that if Marat wins those elections it is due to his personal qualities (that I actually do not doubt at all), but truth is, if he wins, he'll most probably do it because he was backed up by whomever mattered (Shamil Tarpishev anyone?)

In the end, I hope you won't get upset about my post...you see, in my country we just had presidentials last weekend, so I'm bitter

Last edited by little_masha; 11-24-2009 at 08:43 PM.
little_masha is offline  
post #3192 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered User
 
davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 270
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxsword View Post
Dear wiki.
Thanks. So there isn't any specific reason they are voting new members at the moment?! I thought you had to be at least 55 and overweight to be part of the NOC - that's how it seems to be in my country at least. It sounds like a job that's good for connections but awfully boring.
davis is offline  
post #3193 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:54 PM
country flag mer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moscow
Posts: 5,734
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
Thanks. So there isn't any specific reason they are voting new members at the moment?! I thought you had to be at least 55 and overweight to be part of the NOC - that's how it seems to be in my country at least. It sounds like a job that's good for connections but awfully boring.
They have elections every 4 years. I just read the list of the candidates. All of them are either Olympic champions or the presidents/vice-presidents of different russian sport federations , state duma and president administration high officials. Some of them are Olympic champions and officials at the same time. I don't know what Tarpi was thinking but Marat seriously doesnt belong there at the moment.
mer is offline  
post #3194 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Registered User
 
inez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 527
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

[QUOTE=mer;9350300]They have elections every 4 years. I just read the list of the candidates. All of them are either Olympic champions or the presidents/vice-presidents of different russian sport federations , state duma and president administration high officials. Some of them are Olympic champions and officials at the same time. I don't know what Tarpi was thinking but Marat seriously doesnt belong there at the moment.[QUOTE]
(I don't know why it didn;t come up in a boX?????????)

I completely agree with you Mer - right now it's hard to see what serious contribution Marat could make AT THIS LEVEL with his current experience - However, there may be a particular role that they have in mind for Marat, given his personal popularity outside Russia...or, it may well be a long-term strategy by Tarpi - maybe he's thinking nominate him now, why not - IF he gets elected (with or without appropriate lobbying) then great - he can learn a lot and contibute his personality and profile and experience as a professional athlete - and if not - no harm done...and try again in four years...we may see him up for various nominations of this kind if in fact sports admin IS part of his future plans....lets wait and see!!

As for the other nonesense...just for the record, If Marat wanted to make himself a fortune out of his face, he could easily have done so while he was playing -It's worth noting that he only ever did photoshoots for his main tennis sponsors - Adidas and Head - even Rolex , as far as I know - never used him in their advertising - which I find amazing but hey....Marat evidently didn't WANT to be a 'model' or associated that closely with brands outside of Tennis - and that you can only assume, was because his Management, acting on his instructions, turned down that kind of stuff - Some time ago now, Marat was quoted as saying, when questioned about it, something along the lines of "of course I could have made a lot more money if I had been prepared to sell myself for peanuts..." I think that just about sums it up...

inez is offline  
post #3195 of 4681 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Scavenger Hunter
 
PennyThePenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: swimming across the pacific ocean
Posts: 31,853
                     
Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Hey everyone! been really caught up with evil projects and back-to-back-to-back presentations. Have been reading this thread with half an eye And I agree that even though he's a major athlete who's represented his country in the Olympics, that's should not be the only criteria for becoming an IOC representative. He'd need a lot more experience in diplomacy and what nots for that. Just my two cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowa, on a theory proposed by Annie
the connection between his brain and his body has been restored!
PennyThePenguin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome