Mens Tennis Forums banner

Nick Kyrgios - Yes He Canberra

219K views 2K replies 93 participants last post by  sborokr 
#1 ·
Sorry for the somewhat premature thread but, as a Canberra born, I'm excited about Kyrgios.

Born: 27 Apr 1995
Birth place: Canberra, Australia
Plays: Right Handed (Double Handed Backhand)

Probably his biggest achievement to date came in doubles. He won (boys) Roland Garros and Wimbledon with Andrew Harris this year. His singles results have been coming along too, he recently won Canada (Grade 1) and made the quarters of Wimbledon and the US Open. Men's tour experience and results have been limited, but his showings have been respectable.

Already top 5 in juniors, he'll be one of the favourites for this year's u18 national championships and next year's junior Australian Open.

July 9th article:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...yrgios-was-always-special-20120709-21q1f.html

#1,537 · (Edited)
Oh dear...:rain:

Zeze Morias @ZezeAM. May 3
Clear you schedule: 2h30 until doubles final in Estoril but it's raining. Weather forecast says it will keep raining until 6 PM
Hopefully his R1 match in Madrid is on Tuesday. It will be a tough turnaround for him otherwise, esp. if the final and consequently his flight to Spain go really late tonight! :unsure:

#1,540 · (Edited)
According to Twitter, they played that entire doubles match in the rain! :eek:

Not sure those kind of conditions will suit Nick's game if he and Gasquet are made to do the same! :shrug:

Edit: However, this tweet looks promising! :)

Gaspar Lanca @gasparlanca May 3
No rain here in Estoril since the doubles trophy ceremony. Singles final expected to start at 3:30pm.

#1,541 ·
Alas, it wasn't to be for Nick today. :sad:

Gasquet was simply the better player today, with his experience and almost iron tight defence. And Nick making so many errors certainly didn't hurt him. :help:

But congratulations to Nick for reaching his first ATP final in just his 2nd season as a pro! :bigclap: I'm pretty sure no one, not even him, expected he'd get this far! I'm sure he'll learn from this loss and this is just his first of many finals. :)

On to Madrid.

#1,542 ·
In other news, Nick will play his R1 match in Madrid against qualifier Daniel Gimeno Traver, yet another Spaniard who's favourite surface is clay.

Hopefully he will have recovered nicely from today and the travel to Madrid to win this so he can get a crack at Roger in R2. Of course, he will need to play much better than he did today to have any chance against the Fed!:unsure:

#1,544 ·
Not the best match in the final from Nick.
He was forcing his shots at time, not patient enough at times, bad errors at other times.
He started well in the finals but then slowly, or quickly in the beginning of the second set, went off the rails. Gasquet too solid and experienced in the end.
Great week though.

#1,545 ·
really nice week though, especially considering this is clay. if he is not too tired, i think he will enjoy more the conditions to play tennis in madrid =D

#1,548 ·
Kyrgios up against Gimeno-Traver at around half 2 local time tomorrow on stadium 4 which isn't streamed :rolleyes:. Don't understand why the tournament organizers put a promising youngsters against a home favorite on a non televised court.

Anyhow I think Nick is going to be very confident on the court after reaching his first final last weak. A good clay court player like Gimeno-Traver will be tough but with wins against Ramos and Carreno Busta last weak I think Nick will be able to overcome the Spaniard. I hope he isn't too tired.

#1,549 ·
Thanks for posting the scheduling info, JMdelpotro6 :)

I also can't believe they would put a popular young player who just reached the final of his previous tournament on an un-televised court! :bs:

Anyway, he actually went right back to the practice courts right after the final, so he is definitely motivated to continue his good run on this clay swing. But I also won't be too shocked if he doesn't make it out of R1 due to a combination of his understandable fatigue, and DGT being a good enough clay-counter.

On the other hand, he won the Nottingham Challenger right before going deep at Wimbledon last year, so he is capable of bouncing back quickly. It would be so great to see him against the Fed. And I'm pretty sure that match will be televised! ;)

Reactions: JMdelpotro6
#1,554 ·
Yayyy!!! :banana:

Have to admit I was preparing myself for a tight loss today given the circumstances, but clearly Nick really wants that match vs Federer! :lol: I will be cautiously optimistic, but if he loses, hopefully he will still make it a much closer match than the final against Gasquet! #ComeOn

And he's now no. 32 in the live rankings!! :eek: Hopefully, regardless of what happens tomorrow, he manages to stay there or get pushed up higher to grab that RG seeding!!

In other news, he and his IPTL boss lost their doubles match this afternoon, 5-7, 3-6, against Anderson/Chardy.

#1,559 ·
All credit to Kyrgios.
After being gifted a first game break by the FedEx, he was pegged back when serving for the first set at 5-4, then played a poor tie-break, unnecessarily getting upset by a corrected call on his first serve, losing his concentration and the tie-break. He then dropped his service game to trail a set and a break, but fought back to level at 2-2.
From there he played ok to get to the tie-break, nothing great but well enough to stay with Federer, then played a very good tie-break to win the second set and level the match. No break-point opportunities in that third set. Then the win
Beating the GOAT, albeit on clay - great fight by Nick, great match.

#1,560 ·
:eek::bounce::clap2::woohoo::banana::cheerleader:

Still haven't fully caught up with this match on TennisTV yet but Nick, you are a STAR!! So, so proud! :hug:

Now at no. 30 in the live rankings! :cool:

Now please beat Isner and get to the quarter final! #vamos

#1,562 ·
It was a great match and a fantastic result (though I admit I would have been just as happy with a Fed win, I've watched about 95%+ of both their televised matches over the last year and half) well worth getting up at a ridiculous hour for, third set especially competitive and oh so close and hard fought.

Isner tonight likely to be around 10.30pm AEST so more accessible, but much less likely to be as entertaining! If he wins jumps to 28, just beneath Bernie.

Nice article from Nick's Mum today in the Canberra Times, http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...ederer-after-beating-him-20150507-ggw82e.html. A couple of extracts:

Nick Kyrgios grew up wearing the 'RF' logo of Roger Federer but now he's proved he can outplay his childhood hero, his mother Nill wants the brash youngster to act like him.

Nill and his father Giorgos slept through Kyrgios' 6-7 (2-7), 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (14-12) win at the Madrid Masters, with an early morning phone call to their Canberra home from eldest son Christos breaking the good news.

It was the best early Mother's Day gift she could ask for. "The minute we got the call we couldn't go back to sleep, we watched the match we recorded on Foxtel," Nill said. "Nick had this shirt with the 'RF' on it he loved wearing when he was young, and a cap. We can still remember saying to ourselves won't it be nice when the day arrives we can watch Nick on TV playing these tournaments.

"We're still pinching ourselves. It still feels a bit unreal he's playing with the big fellas and matching it. He feels a bit sorry for Roger, I'm pretty sure. He'd be proud of beating him but on the other hand he probably feels devastated someone had to lose."
Goes on to do some astute issues management on his on court meltdowns...

#1,563 · (Edited)
:worship: Amazing win for Nick!

He got too annoyed in the 1st set TB with that lines call. It must of been frustrating but he needs to control his anger. Especially when playing on the main court of a 1000 event against a 17 time slam champion. Nonetheless though well thought by Nick. He served well and pulled through it.

Isner next. Younsgters seem to have a problem against big servers but if Kyrgios can hold serve well himself and stay patient he has a good chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.