When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react? - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Registered User
 
justClaudia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: at the nearest fashion week.
Posts: 15,622
                     
Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91
And, in closing, I am immensely pleased with Gaston's victory, for it showed many that you don't have to be 25 and under to enjoy career success. I think Gaston has hit his stride, and we can expect more great things from him in 2006.



And even he if he can't big things in 2006 - he's already done much more then many expected.
Gaston is a winner for me.
justClaudia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19
                     
Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

First of all, I did not say that Gaudio was able to win due to luck. I meant that, luckily, he reacted (was able to overcome his fear - Gaston himself said "I was so scared") and as a consequence he was able to show his actual ability which I never denied. In fact, I have always admired his tennis. So please, do not misinterpret my words.

Secondly, I am not a Coria fan but I think it is unfair to attack him in this way. As I said before, cramps were a result of nerves and fear. How many times has Gaudio lost matches due to his mind? Guillermo is also a human being and you do not have any right to judge him.

Sorry if my objectivity disturbs you.
bluegueber is offline  
post #108 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Miss Thang
 
sigmagirl91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Big Blue Nation
Age: 45
Posts: 36,083
                     
Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegueber
First of all, I did not say that Gaudio was able to win due to luck. I meant that, luckily, he reacted (was able to overcome his fear - Gaston himself said "I was so scared") and as a consequence he was able to show his actual ability which I never denied. In fact, I have always admired his tennis. So please, do not misinterpret my words.

Secondly, I am not a Coria fan but I think it is unfair to attack him in this way. As I said before, cramps were a result of nerves and fear. How many times has Gaudio lost matches due to his mind? Guillermo is also a human being and you do not have any right to judge him.

Sorry if my objectivity disturbs you.
I'm not disturbed; obviously you are. No one's attacking Coria; maybe your conscience has accused you once again-maybe?

Talk to the hand because the ears don't hear you.

Last edited by sigmagirl91; 12-31-2005 at 02:24 AM.
sigmagirl91 is offline  
post #109 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:18 PM
Registered User
 
Florencia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 75
                     
Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

Bluegueber, I do not want to have an argument, but I recall that when Gaston played against Federer in Shangai, you strongly criticized him.

You said that a "professional" could never attribute the loss of a match to nerves.

You seem to be more flexible when you talk about Coria.

Big fan of Gastón Gaudio, the best !!!
Florencia is offline  
post #110 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19
                     
Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

How dare you compare Gaudio's horrible performance in the Shangai match with Guillermo's performance in the RG final - he was about to win, remember?
bluegueber is offline  
post #111 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Miss Thang
 
sigmagirl91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Big Blue Nation
Age: 45
Posts: 36,083
                     
Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegueber
How dare you compare Gaudio's horrible performance in the Shangai match with Guillermo's performance in the RG final - he was about to win, remember?
There's a massive difference between "about to win" and "don't have a chance in hell of winning". Coria couldn't close the deal, and Gaston didn't have a deal to close. You're right; there was no comparison, but you still applied your own principle unevenly. Again, why does your standard change where it concerns Coria?

Talk to the hand because the ears don't hear you.
sigmagirl91 is offline  
post #112 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:59 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 40
Posts: 399
                     
Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegueber
First of all, I did not say that Gaudio was able to win due to luck. I meant that, luckily, he reacted (was able to overcome his fear - Gaston himself said "I was so scared") and as a consequence he was able to show his actual ability which I never denied. In fact, I have always admired his tennis. So please, do not misinterpret my words.

Secondly, I am not a Coria fan but I think it is unfair to attack him in this way. As I said before, cramps were a result of nerves and fear. How many times has Gaudio lost matches due to his mind? Guillermo is also a human being and you do not have any right to judge him.

Sorry if my objectivity disturbs you.
You objective, since when did this suddenly happen? I don't post very often and lurked in this forum for quite some time and read most of the posts in here. It seems you are trying to prove something, like instead of actually listening to other sides of arguments, you go ahead and call everyone else subjective and attempt to take the moral high ground by claiming objectivity disturbs you, when it does not agree with your line of thinking.

Next point, it was a strange match, but how is someone lucky when they have been physically prepared to last the distance of a five set match? Also, Gaudio was able to handle the pressure of the situation better than his opponent was on this day.

Why try and bring in other examples of other matches, when it does not have relevance to this particular match or is this an attempt to save face.

You say it's not Ok to attack Coria as a human being, yet you went on and called Gaudio unprofessional recently, keep up with the fluid definitions, it really suits you

Can you tell me how it feels to be hated?
Can you tell me how it feels to be loved?
Can you tell me how it feels to be respected?
Or is the answer none of the above

PAW 2006 W Kitzbühel, RU Madrid

PAW results for 2005
W Vienna
SF Roland Garros
QF Palermo, Stuttgart, Bastad
Plastic Bertrand is offline  
post #113 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

Interesting points.

This match has been spoken about to death and this is a celebratory thread remembering Gaston's greatest moment, but should be fairly obvious to most people.

Bluegueber, help me out here as has been asked and I am interested as well. What is it you are actually trying to prove? There is a very big chance I could be wrong here, you'd be one of the types that pissed on heckled Gaudio after the DC debacle and then changed after he won RG. The same time you didn't like the analysis by the particular writer. Why could that not have been addressed that in the News thread? But, instead of trying to piss on this happy celebratory thread.

Show some consistency, like in the question thread about DC, you claim not to be a Coria fan, yet you seem to enjoy trying to antagonising people in this forum, especially when his name is mentioned.

So calling someone unprofessional isn't an attack on their character? If this is not the case, then explain why this is? Spare me the rubbish about being objective as 100 per cent objectivity doesn't exist and never will exist. The key is how it's managed.

Luck happens in all forms of life and people have to be good enough to take advantage of whatever opportunity comes along and with tennis there are only 2 words that really count Win and Loss.

Ok, this is meant to be a happy celebratory thread and should be kept that way. If someone wants to discuss the article that discusses this issue, do it in the News/Info section and not try and piss in this thread.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson; 01-01-2006 at 05:43 AM.
Action Jackson is offline  
post #114 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Registered User
 
Billabong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Age: 29
Posts: 18,734
                     
Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

I remember it like it was yesterday

I followed the first set here on MTF, because I was sure Coria would win. It was terrible: 6-0. So I decided to watch it myself. After the second set, even though it was a little better from Gaston (6-3), I gave up and went to play tennis with my sister, because I was 100% sure Coria would win at that point, as I had never assisted to a miraculous comeback in a men's Grand Slam final (I started to watch tennis in 2001). Then, when I came back from tennis, I opened the door of the house and I was hearing my sister scream! I ran to the living room and saw that it was 4-3 in the 5th set!!!!!!!!! I just couldn't believe what I was seeing, because I was sure the match was over since a long time. My sister explained me what happened (the cramps in the 4th set, the standing ovation in the 3rd set)... So I was all shaky and watched it till the end. During Coria's match points I was always hopeful Gaston could save them, because I knew he was in better shape and he really believed in it at that point. When he won we definitely screamed in joy, and I was still speechless, still shocked about what I just assisted to. Then I got the match on DVD and it is among my most favorite matches ever!

Guga Kuerten

Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic
Billabong is offline  
post #115 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 02:12 PM
country flag lau
.
 
lau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,921
                     
Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

To answer the thread´s title.... I cried and I was cheering for Gastón, but I admit I would have cried if Coria would win the title too (and of happiness too).


EDIT: geeeez, it´s a nightmare for me to writte with conditional verbs in past

Last edited by lau; 02-14-2006 at 02:32 PM.
lau is offline  
post #116 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,333
                     
Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

The other day Mats Wilander was interviewed by La Nación, and he recalled his impressions of that RG final. As I don't think he will visit this thread, I want to do it for him!
Unfortunately I can't find the article now, but the gist of it was that he said that more than tennis it was high drama, the most exciting match he'd ever seen, and that afterwards he'd contacted Gastón and asked to join him for the celebrations because he wanted to be there at that moment. He also said "Coria didn't lose in the fifth set, he lost that match in the third".
Vale is offline  
post #117 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vale
The other day Mats Wilander was interviewed by La Nación, and he recalled his impressions of that RG final. As I don't think he will visit this thread, I want to do it for him!
Unfortunately I can't find the article now, but the gist of it was that he said that more than tennis it was high drama, the most exciting match he'd ever seen, and that afterwards he'd contacted Gastón and asked to join him for the celebrations because he wanted to be there at that moment. He also said "Coria didn't lose in the fifth set, he lost that match in the third".
You think he doesn't visit these forums.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome