1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1? - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?
Vilas (16 titles including Roland Garros & US Open + 6 runners-up including Australian Open-Jan.) 40 86.96%
Connors (7 titles including Masters + 6 runners-up including Wimbledon & US Open) 6 13.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
TennisGrandSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hong Kong SAR, China
Age: 37
Posts: 1,665
                     
1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!



Vilas in 1977

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/player...0&prevtrnnum=0

Australian Open (Jan.) : F
Roland Garros : W
Wimbledon : R32
US Open : W
Australian Open (Dec.) : DNP
Masters : SF

Titles / Runners-up : 16 / 6
Win-Loss : 128-14 * (non-ATP source claims 145-14)
Year-End Ranking : 2




Connors in 1977

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/player...0&prevtrnnum=0

Australian Open (Jan.) : DNP
Roland Garros : DNP
Wimbledon : F
US Open : F
Australian Open (Dec.) : DNP
Masters : W

Titles / Runners-up : 7/ 6
Win-Loss : 64-13
Year-End Ranking : 1

Last edited by TennisGrandSlam; 10-05-2006 at 12:20 PM.
TennisGrandSlam is offline  
post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 375
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Why not Borg included? I agree Vilas ahead of Connors but Borg ahead of both of them.

1977-

1.Borg
2.Vilas
3.Connors


Dancing Hero is offline  
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
TennisGrandSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hong Kong SAR, China
Age: 37
Posts: 1,665
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Hero View Post
Why not Borg included? I agree Vilas ahead of Connors but Borg ahead of both of them.

1977-

1.Borg
2.Vilas
3.Connors



I think

Australian (Jan.) Finalist + Roland Garros Winner + US Open Winner > Wimbledon Winner > Wimbledon Finalist + US Open Finalist



Counting titles other than Grand Slam,

Vilas > Borg > Connors, so, result is obvious ......

Connors was so-called official NO.1, but Vilas's achievement showed that he could challenge over Connors' NO.1 honour.
TennisGrandSlam is offline  
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 375
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Borg 3-0 Vilas for the season, including a win in the semis of the Masters. Vilas lost in the final of Australia start of the year, to Tanner, and had a 3r defeat at Wimbledon. To Billy Martin.

Borg won 11 events that year himself, obviously more selective in his schedule than Vilas, didn't play as many soft tournaments.

Borg would have been a big favourite to beat Vilas at RG. Borg whooped Vilas in their clay court meetings just prior to RG. Borg missed RG due to World Team Tennis. Not Vilas' fault, he did what he had to do. Still doesn't take away that Borg was no.1 on clay and a clear favourite for RG.

Vilas never beat Borg in a GS event.

Vilas 'lucky' Borg missed RG in 77.

Borg superior all surface player to Vilas in 77 or any other year for that matter.


Dancing Hero is offline  
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Hero View Post
Borg would have been a big favourite to beat Vilas at RG. Borg whooped Vilas in their clay court meetings just prior to RG. Borg missed RG due to World Team Tennis. Not Vilas' fault, he did what he had to do. Still doesn't take away that Borg was no.1 on clay and a clear favourite for RG.
would have been, could have been, are irrelevant.

Borg was better than Vilas. But Vilas had the best results in 1977 and deserved to be the #1 in the ranking.

Vilas won 7 titles in a row (including the US Open, beating Connors in the final), then he decided to retire (and put an end to his record of consecutive wins) in the final of Aix en Provence, because of the weird racket Nastase was using (racket that was later forbidden), and then won 5 more titles in a row, to lose in the semifinal of the Masters against Borg... simply amazing.

Last edited by Hendu; 10-05-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Hendu is offline  
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 375
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas View Post
would have been, could have been, are irrelevant.

Borg was better than Vilas. But Vilas had the best results in 1977 and deserved to be the #1 in the ranking.

Vilas won 7 titles in a row (including the US Open, beating Connors in the final), then he decided to retire (and put an end to his record of consecutive wins) in the final of Aix en Provence, because of the weird racket Nastase was using (racket that was later forbidden), and then won 5 more titles in a row, to lose in the semifinal of the Masters against Borg... simply amazing.

Borg 3-0 Vilas. Wimbledon Champion. Beat Vilas in Nice and Monte Carlo and again in the Masters. Just because Vilas won 2 GS that year does not automatically make Vilas deserving of no.1. A row of 7 tournaments does not necessarily either. If Vilas chose to retire against Nastase, that was up to him as well, minor tournament towards the end of the season. Vilas may have been feeling some effects of too much tennis.

A very good run for Vilas in 77 and he was without doubt a very good/ great player. But still not no.1 in many people's minds. And the rankings said no as well.

With the good people.

MANCHESTER UNITED TREBLE WINNERS 1998-99.
PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2006-7. Take that, John Terry!
Dancing Hero is offline  
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
TennisGrandSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hong Kong SAR, China
Age: 37
Posts: 1,665
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Hero View Post
Borg 3-0 Vilas for the season, including a win in the semis of the Masters. Vilas lost in the final of Australia start of the year, to Tanner, and had a 3r defeat at Wimbledon. To Billy Martin.

Borg won 11 events that year himself, obviously more selective in his schedule than Vilas, didn't play as many soft tournaments.

Borg would have been a big favourite to beat Vilas at RG. Borg whooped Vilas in their clay court meetings just prior to RG. Borg missed RG due to World Team Tennis. Not Vilas' fault, he did what he had to do. Still doesn't take away that Borg was no.1 on clay and a clear favourite for RG.

Vilas never beat Borg in a GS event.

Vilas 'lucky' Borg missed RG in 77.

Borg superior all surface player to Vilas in 77 or any other year for that matter.




Nadal 4-1 Federer (all in Finals), but Federer is still NO.1 in 2006.
TennisGrandSlam is offline  
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
TennisGrandSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hong Kong SAR, China
Age: 37
Posts: 1,665
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Hero View Post
Borg 3-0 Vilas. Wimbledon Champion. Beat Vilas in Nice and Monte Carlo and again in the Masters. Just because Vilas won 2 GS that year does not automatically make Vilas deserving of no.1. A row of 7 tournaments does not necessarily either. If Vilas chose to retire against Nastase, that was up to him as well, minor tournament towards the end of the season. Vilas may have been feeling some effects of too much tennis.

A very good run for Vilas in 77 and he was without doubt a very good/ great player. But still not no.1 in many people's minds. And the rankings said no as well.
Vilas was runner-up of grass-surface Australian Open-Jan.
TennisGrandSlam is offline  
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
TennisGrandSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hong Kong SAR, China
Age: 37
Posts: 1,665
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Hero View Post
Borg 3-0 Vilas for the season, including a win in the semis of the Masters. Vilas lost in the final of Australia start of the year, to Tanner, and had a 3r defeat at Wimbledon. To Billy Martin.

Borg won 11 events that year himself, obviously more selective in his schedule than Vilas, didn't play as many soft tournaments.

Borg would have been a big favourite to beat Vilas at RG. Borg whooped Vilas in their clay court meetings just prior to RG. Borg missed RG due to World Team Tennis. Not Vilas' fault, he did what he had to do. Still doesn't take away that Borg was no.1 on clay and a clear favourite for RG.

Vilas never beat Borg in a GS event.

Vilas 'lucky' Borg missed RG in 77.

Borg superior all surface player to Vilas in 77 or any other year for that matter.



Lendl also never beat Borg in a GS event
TennisGrandSlam is offline  
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 375
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisGrandSlam View Post
Nadal 4-1 Federer (all in Finals), but Federer is still NO.1 in 2006.
Federer better all round player on other surfaces, not just clay.

With the good people.

MANCHESTER UNITED TREBLE WINNERS 1998-99.
PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2006-7. Take that, John Terry!
Dancing Hero is offline  
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 375
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisGrandSlam View Post
Vilas was runner-up of grass-surface Australian Open-Jan.

Exactly, he lost.

With the good people.

MANCHESTER UNITED TREBLE WINNERS 1998-99.
PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2006-7. Take that, John Terry!
Dancing Hero is offline  
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 375
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisGrandSlam View Post
Lendl also never beat Borg in a GS event


We're not talking about Lendl v Borg. Don't be bringing other people into the discussion.


With the good people.

MANCHESTER UNITED TREBLE WINNERS 1998-99.
PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2006-7. Take that, John Terry!

Last edited by Dancing Hero; 10-06-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Dancing Hero is offline  
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
TennisGrandSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hong Kong SAR, China
Age: 37
Posts: 1,665
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Hero View Post
Exactly, he lost.

Vilas showed that he can play well in grass.

Don't forget his 1978 and 1979 title
TennisGrandSlam is offline  
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 375
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisGrandSlam View Post
Vilas showed that he can play well in grass.

Don't forget his 1978 and 1979 title

Yes, I know, Vilas could play on grass when he wanted, but the top players, Borg, Connors and others were absent. The Australian Open was a weak event in the late '70's. Have you seen the fields? Vilas was the only top 10 player to play the 1979 Australian Open.

Top 8 seeds 1979 Australian Open-

1.Vilas
2.Alexander
3.Amaya
4.Pfister
5.Taroczy
6.Sadri
7.Wilkison
8.Feigl.

No Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Gerulaitis, Tanner.

Really, a poor field for a GS.

The true test of grass court tennis then was Wimbledon, and Vilas had an average Wimbledon record for a good player.



With the good people.

MANCHESTER UNITED TREBLE WINNERS 1998-99.
PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2006-7. Take that, John Terry!
Dancing Hero is offline  
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
TennisGrandSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hong Kong SAR, China
Age: 37
Posts: 1,665
                     
Re: 1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas View Post
would have been, could have been, are irrelevant.

Borg was better than Vilas. But Vilas had the best results in 1977 and deserved to be the #1 in the ranking.

Vilas won 7 titles in a row (including the US Open, beating Connors in the final), then he decided to retire (and put an end to his record of consecutive wins) in the final of Aix en Provence, because of the weird racket Nastase was using (racket that was later forbidden), and then won 5 more titles in a row, to lose in the semifinal of the Masters against Borg... simply amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Hero View Post
Yes, I know, Vilas could play on grass when he wanted, but the top players, Borg, Connors and others were absent. The Australian Open was a weak event in the late '70's. Have you seen the fields? Vilas was the only top 10 player to play the 1979 Australian Open.

Top 8 seeds 1979 Australian Open-

1.Vilas
2.Alexander
3.Amaya
4.Pfister
5.Taroczy
6.Sadri
7.Wilkison
8.Feigl.

No Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Gerulaitis, Tanner.

Really, a poor field for a GS.

The true test of grass court tennis then was Wimbledon, and Vilas had an average Wimbledon record for a good player.




Borg, Connors and McEnroe playing didn't mean one of them must win.

Serve-and-Volleyer McEncore still lost to Claycourt Expert Baseliner Wilander in grass Australian Open.

At least Vilas entered 3 times of GS final (2 winners) in 1977

Last edited by TennisGrandSlam; 10-06-2006 at 04:22 PM.
TennisGrandSlam is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome