McEnroe and Becker to clash at U.S. Open
WHITE PLAINS, New York (Reuters) - John McEnroe and Boris Becker will face off in a clash of former world number ones before the women's U.S. Open final next month.
The winner of the September 7 match will earn $50,000 for charity, the United States Tennis Association said.
The pair -- both retired from the ATP Tour -- had been scheduled to play last year at the U.S. grand slam, but Becker withdrew because of an ankle injury.
"I can't wait to take on Boris, especially after he pulled out of our match scheduled for last year's Open," said McEnroe, 43, winner of four U.S. Opens and three Wimbledon crowns.
"I am ready for him and can't wait to re-live the intensity of our matches from the good old days, in front of a loud New York crowd in Arthur Ashe Stadium."
German Becker, 34, who won three Wimbledon's, one U.S. crown and two Australian Open titles in a glittering career, said: "John and I had many heated battles in our day, and I don't expect this one to be any different, especially playing before tennis's most energetic and boisterous fans.
"I know John will have the hometown crowd cheering for him, but I also know that I got the best of John when we played each other over the years."
McEnroe and Becker faced each other 10 times during their careers, with Becker taking eight of the 10 matches.