Qualifying Entry List (updated March 4, 2014) - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered User
 
Transcender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 17,159
                     
Re: Qualifying Draw

Anyone know why so many players pulled out and so many alt's said no to playing, why qualys are so bad this year, I mean they are worse than Shanghai, which are always the worst Masters qualys?

TT stats site: tt-statistics.info
Transcender is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 11:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 186
                     
Re: Qualifying Entry List (updated March 2, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkulpus View Post
Oulette can't make futures MD in the beginning of year and now he will make cut-off for Masters qualification
Well, he won his 1st rd qualies match, and plays Munoz de la Nava for a spot in the MD. He's made $2800 and earned 8 ATP pts so far.

I guess it was a good decision to show up for the qualies, huh??
Rob_C is offline  
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 02:20 AM
Registered User
 
Transcender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 17,159
                     
Re: Qualifying Entry List (updated March 3, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
There is a challenger in Kyoto. I'm loving the carnage here in qualies... Probs a lot of guys wishing they put their name down now..
Don't act like one cruddy CH is the reason why they didn't show up for this, cause it's not, not even close.

TT stats site: tt-statistics.info
Transcender is offline  
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:09 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: Qualifying Entry List (updated March 3, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
Don't act like one cruddy CH is the reason why they didn't show up for this, cause it's not, not even close.
Lol, where did I say that was the reason? Someone before said there wasn't any challengers this week and there is one. Some of the guys don't have enough money to travel to IW where they are not guaranteed to break even for travel and accommodation if they fail to make the main draw...

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:50 AM
Registered User
 
Transcender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 17,159
                     
Re: Qualifying Entry List (updated March 3, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
Lol, where did I say that was the reason? Someone before said there wasn't any challengers this week and there is one. Some of the guys don't have enough money to travel to IW where they are not guaranteed to break even for travel and accommodation if they fail to make the main draw...
They get 1,400 just for showing up and 2,800 for winning a round, so chances are they will break even.

TT stats site: tt-statistics.info
Transcender is offline  
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:12 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: Qualifying Entry List (updated March 3, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
They get 1,400 just for showing up and 2,800 for winning a round, so chances are they will break even.
I always get the feeling discussing something with you is like discussing something with a nine year old. $1400 isn't really that much when you need to book a return flight to Europe, 3-4 nights of accommodation and other general expenses (keep in mind the guys also have to pay for their coaches, physios etc). For some it is simply not worth it. Players base and plan their schedule around certain parts of the year where they hope to peak. It's impossible to believe they are going to play at their best all year round, especially challenger and futures level players.

It's obviously unusual to see IW have such a low qualies cut off but it's completely understandable at the same time.

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:24 AM
Registered User
 
Transcender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 17,159
                     
Re: Qualifying Entry List (updated March 3, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
I always get the feeling discussing something with you is like discussing something with a nine year old. $1400 isn't really that much when you need to book a return flight to Europe, 3-4 nights of accommodation and other general expenses (keep in mind the guys also have to pay for their coaches, physios etc). For some it is simply not worth it. Players base and plan their schedule around certain parts of the year where they hope to peak. It's impossible to believe they are going to play at their best all year round, especially challenger and futures level players.

It's obviously unusual to see IW have such a low qualies cut off but it's completely understandable at the same time.
That's probably because you just don't get things, but hey, that's life, you live you learn, nothing to be ashamed of. Keep in mind that most players at that level don't have physios or coaches because they as you say, don't have much money, so can't afford them. 1,400 can break you even though at least.

TT stats site: tt-statistics.info
Transcender is offline  
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:33 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: Qualifying Entry List (updated March 3, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
That's probably because you just don't get things, but hey, that's life, you live you learn, nothing to be ashamed of. Keep in mind that most players at that level don't have physios or coaches because they as you say, don't have much money, so can't afford them. 1,400 can break you even though at least.
You're hilarious mate... You just have no idea how the tour works..

Like I said, it's unusual but not unexpected at all. The players couldn't have known this was what the list was going to end up like when they had to sign up.. You'll notice a lot of the guys that pulled out have been playing the European indoor challenger circuit for the last month after the AO.. For them, it's a time to rest, recharge the batteries and start up again in a couple of weeks.. A trip to California from Europe to play in a Masters where they would be thinking there is a good chance they could lose in Rd 1 of qualies would not be beneficial in any way..

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:38 AM
Registered User
 
Transcender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 17,159
                     
Re: Qualifying Entry List (updated March 3, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
You're hilarious mate... You just have no idea how the tour works..

Like I said, it's unusual but not unexpected at all. The players couldn't have known this was what the list was going to end up like when they had to sign up.. You'll notice a lot of the guys that pulled out have been playing the European indoor challenger circuit for the last month after the AO.. For them, it's a time to rest, recharge the batteries and start up again in a couple of weeks.. A trip to California from Europe to play in a Masters where they would be thinking there is a good chance they could lose in Rd 1 of qualies would not be beneficial in any way..
Hardly a surprise that this would be the retort, and a very weak one at that, it's pretty obvious here who knows how things work.

TT stats site: tt-statistics.info
Transcender is offline  
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: Qualifying Entry List (updated March 3, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
Hardly a surprise that this would be the retort, and a very weak one at that, it's pretty obvious here who knows how things work.
Contrary to your extensive analysis as to why so many players are missing here? Please, enlighten me mate... Show me the light..

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Registered User
 
Transcender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 17,159
                     
Re: Qualifying Entry List (updated March 3, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
Contrary to your extensive analysis as to why so many players are missing here? Please, enlighten me mate... Show me the light..
I'm as stumped as you are, I doubt that it's the 1,400 as you say that's keeping them away, because it's never stopped them before, I don't know if they are recharging their batteries either, because they can do that anytime during the season, plus it's still too early for that, it is maybe possible that a flight from Europe could be the reason, but there was only 1 CH event in Europe last week, the week before IW last year was pretty much the same and more players showed, so best guess is injuries.

TT stats site: tt-statistics.info

Last edited by Transcender; 03-05-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Transcender is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome