An Open letter to Mr. Disney. - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Merton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,760
                     
An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

Dear Mr. De Villiers,

I have long admired your leadership role as the head of the ATP, so the news about your personal intervention in determining the qualifier in the Las Vegas tournament came as a complete surprise to me. The situation gave rise to questions about the future of the Round Robin format in professional menís tennis that was introduced under your direction, so I will humbly submit my suggestions about how to act optimally in this situation.

The initiative to introduce the RR format initially was a brilliant idea, worthy of placing you to the pantheon of the most innovative corporate executives in history. There are many difficult problems facing professional tennis right now, but what is the point of working towards their solution if that will create unpleasant conflicts with certain constituents in the game? For example, changing the calendar so as to please both the players and the Technical Directors represents a challenge better left to your successor.

Instead of tackling the serious issues facing menís tennis, you wisely started with a cosmetic change, designed to appeal simultaneously to top players and tournament organizers. The RR format benefits the top players, guaranteeing a minimum number of matches and allowing them to qualify from the group stage even if they happen to lose a match. On the other hand, the TD can better promote their star players. Of course there are minor problems with the idea, as it ensures a lower number of players entering a given tournament, making the progress of young upcoming players or players coming back from injury harder. But who cares about these players? They do not carry any power or proper representation so you may safely ignore them anyway.

The events of Las Vegas came as an unwelcome surprise. You heard first about the situation in Buenos Aires where Ferrero was unable to advance dues to a retirement in his group. But who cares about a minor event in Argentina? On the other hand, the situation in Las Vegas was different. James Blake, one of the most popular and recognizable players in the tour, would be eliminated based on the standing rules. Moreover, the tournament faced the risk of low ticket sales during the coming weekend, losing its biggest star attraction. So you decide to intervene, changing the rules so as to ensure that James Blake qualifies. Then the next morning you realized that you didnít have the authority to intervene in the first place, so you switched back to the original decision, after a face saving statement that the RR format is under investigation.

The whole situation leaves you in an embarrassing position. Critics may question your objectivity and impartiality since your decision benefited the top, popular player against the unknown, low ranked young opponent. The press may question your role in the affair and your supervision that allowed the mess to develop in Buenos Aires and Las Vegas. Some heretics may even dare to question your competence, since you were not even aware that you didnít have the authority to intervene in the first place. The top players and tournament directors may question your usefulness, since your rule didnít serve them sufficiently to begin with.

As the undisputed master of corporate politics that you are, you need to silence these critics as fast as possible. Those idiots think that it is important for the head of the ATP to be competent. They know nothing about competence. Give the smart ones 10,000 nails and ask them to construct a spaceship. Can they do it? You must first reinforce your image as a visionary not afraid to make changes. Call journalists who owe you favors so that they say that your intervention showed what a fearless leader you are. Furthermore, you can regain the high ground by being the first to suggest that the RR format must be stopped immediately. Never mind that you are directly responsible for the introduction and implementation of RR. This is a tiny detail; you can blame technicalities inherent in the format for the difficulties and appear sensitive to the playersí objections.

Mr. Chairman, your admirers expect a lot from you. Do not let your cynic detractors prevail. It is time to skip this cosmetic change and prepare for the introduction of the next one. I will remain available for ideas and suggestions. I am glad for the opportunity to address you.

Best Regards,
Merton.

Salvor Hardin: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Registered User
 
atheneglaukopis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,238
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton View Post
Dear Mr. De Villiers,

I have long admired your leadership role as the head of the ATP, so the news about your personal intervention in determining the qualifier in the Las Vegas tournament came as a complete surprise to me. The situation gave rise to questions about the future of the Round Robin format in professional menís tennis that was introduced under your direction, so I will humbly submit my suggestions about how to act optimally in this situation.

The initiative to introduce the RR format initially was a brilliant idea, worthy of placing you to the pantheon of the most innovative corporate executives in history. There are many difficult problems facing professional tennis right now, but what is the point of working towards their solution if that will create unpleasant conflicts with certain constituents in the game? For example, changing the calendar so as to please both the players and the Technical Directors represents a challenge better left to your successor.

Instead of tackling the serious issues facing menís tennis, you wisely started with a cosmetic change, designed to appeal simultaneously to top players and tournament organizers. The RR format benefits the top players, guaranteeing a minimum number of matches and allowing them to qualify from the group stage even if they happen to lose a match. On the other hand, the TD can better promote their star players. Of course there are minor problems with the idea, as it ensures a lower number of players entering a given tournament, making the progress of young upcoming players or players coming back from injury harder. But who cares about these players? They do not carry any power or proper representation so you may safely ignore them anyway.

The events of Las Vegas came as an unwelcome surprise. You heard first about the situation in Buenos Aires where Ferrero was unable to advance dues to a retirement in his group. But who cares about a minor event in Argentina? On the other hand, the situation in Las Vegas was different. James Blake, one of the most popular and recognizable players in the tour, would be eliminated based on the standing rules. Moreover, the tournament faced the risk of low ticket sales during the coming weekend, losing its biggest star attraction. So you decide to intervene, changing the rules so as to ensure that James Blake qualifies. Then the next morning you realized that you didnít have the authority to intervene in the first place, so you switched back to the original decision, after a face saving statement that the RR format is under investigation.

The whole situation leaves you in an embarrassing position. Critics may question your objectivity and impartiality since your decision benefited the top, popular player against the unknown, low ranked young opponent. The press may question your role in the affair and your supervision that allowed the mess to develop in Buenos Aires and Las Vegas. Some heretics may even dare to question your competence, since you were not even aware that you didnít have the authority to intervene in the first place. The top players and tournament directors may question your usefulness, since your rule didnít serve them sufficiently to begin with.

As the undisputed master of corporate politics that you are, you need to silence these critics as fast as possible. Those idiots think that it is important for the head of the ATP to be competent. They know nothing about competence. Give the smart ones 10,000 nails and ask them to construct a spaceship. Can they do it? You must first reinforce your image as a visionary not afraid to make changes. Call journalists who owe you favors so that they say that your intervention showed what a fearless leader you are. Furthermore, you can regain the high ground by being the first to suggest that the RR format must be stopped immediately. Never mind that you are directly responsible for the introduction and implementation of RR. This is a tiny detail; you can blame technicalities inherent in the format for the difficulties and appear sensitive to the playersí objections.

Mr. Chairman, your admirers expect a lot from you. Do not let your cynic detractors prevail. It is time to skip this cosmetic change and prepare for the introduction of the next one. I will remain available for ideas and suggestions. I am glad for the opportunity to address you.

Best Regards,
Merton.
Do you write for the Onion?

Fan of: Federer Safin Haas Nadal Santoro Agassi Tursunov's blog

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Registered User
 
celia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,538
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

Merton = Brazilliant!!!

"A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous..."
celia is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TV Box on Banhofstrasse (Zurich)
Posts: 1,107
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

you lose your credibility in the first line. even he won't believe that someone admired him.
Rosa Luxembourg is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Merton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,760
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa Luxembourg View Post
you lose your credibility in the first line. even he won't believe that someone admired him.
Who said I want to be credible? I was thinking whether to go for satire or for something serious but felt like having fun.

Salvor Hardin: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 05:27 AM
Registered User
 
soraya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,135
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

good job Merton, please follow through.
soraya is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Merton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,760
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneglaukopis View Post
Do you write for the Onion?
Mylady, that is the highest praise I ever had in this forum.

Salvor Hardin: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Merton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,760
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
good job Merton, please follow through.
I will, I plan to send this to the ATP and influential journalists.

Salvor Hardin: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 05:39 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 616
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

Enough already, geez....

Rafael Nadal
ServeAlready81 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Registered User
 
atheneglaukopis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,238
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton View Post
Mylady, that is the highest praise I ever had in this forum.
With my opinion of the Onion, it certainly is.

Fan of: Federer Safin Haas Nadal Santoro Agassi Tursunov's blog

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Miss Thang
 
sigmagirl91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Big Blue Nation
Age: 45
Posts: 36,083
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

Merton, great letter!

Talk to the hand because the ears don't hear you.
sigmagirl91 is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Registered User
 
NicoFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Literature Land
Posts: 25,078
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.



Great satirical piece!

Kudos...
NicoFan is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 03:11 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 24,604
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton View Post
Dear Mr. De Villiers,

I have long admired your leadership role as the head of the ATP
Merton, you're not Mr. Disney are you?
Horatio Caine is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.

Too good!

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Registered User
 
Meeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 34
Posts: 4,268
                     
Re: An Open letter to Mr. Disney.


Honourable quotation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowa
'I want a smooth chest but not with hooters ok? There are such men and I WILL have one'
Meeek is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome