Federer tiebreak record - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 102
                     
Federer tiebreak record

Federer has just won his 15th consecutive tiebreak. Doesn't Sampras hold the record at 18?

Pretty impressive statistic I think.
Feketepuss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 30
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

Sampras' record is 16. It's all in Voo de Mar's comprehensive tiebreak threads in the Stats forum.

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Uppsala
Posts: 3,123
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

Federer already has a greater tiebreak statistics than Sampras (64.4% against 62.8 I think), which means he has the greatest stats in tiebreaks of all time. Another record to remember for stat lovers.
marcRD is offline  
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered User
 
stebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 42
Posts: 11,530
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcRD View Post
Federer already has a greater tiebreak statistics than Sampras (64.4% against 62.8 I think), which means he has the greatest stats in tiebreaks of all time. Another record to remember for stat lovers.
His career may be young but when I made made a breaker stat page for the top 50 a few months back Djokovic had better TB stats than anyone else on tour.

Champions deserve whatever they win playing within the laws of the game
stebs is offline  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcRD View Post
Federer already has a greater tiebreak statistics than Sampras (64.4% against 62.8 I think), which means he has the greatest stats in tiebreaks of all time. Another record to remember for stat lovers.
Is this computed over all tiebreaks played in a person's career? Then Federer's can change before he retires and so can't call it best yet. It can change even before the end of the clay season and become less than Sampras's.

However, if anyone has best year round TB stats, I would like to know who holds that.
R.Federer is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Registered User
 
stebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 42
Posts: 11,530
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Federer View Post
Is this computed over all tiebreaks played in a person's career? Then Federer's can change before he retires and so can't call it best yet. It can change even before the end of the clay season and become less than Sampras's.

However, if anyone has best year round TB stats, I would like to know who holds that.
I have made a few threads about this and also a few very detailed posts in the Federer '06 vs Sampras 96 thread. They include the best years. The players at the top of the list for best year were Federer, Sampras, Lendl, Escude and possibly Borg. I treid searching it to find for you but my search wasn't working. I can tell you that it is fairly near the end of the thread but not VERY recent.

Champions deserve whatever they win playing within the laws of the game
stebs is offline  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
I have made a few threads about this and also a few very detailed posts in the Federer '06 vs Sampras 96 thread. They include the best years. The players at the top of the list for best year were Federer, Sampras, Lendl, Escude and possibly Borg. I treid searching it to find for you but my search wasn't working. I can tell you that it is fairly near the end of the thread but not VERY recent.
Thank you Stebs. I will try to look at it later if I can search it out. Although, that Sampras 96 Federer 06 thread does seem to come up again every fortnight so I may not need to search it out.
R.Federer is offline  
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,459
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Federer View Post
Is this computed over all tiebreaks played in a person's career? Then Federer's can change before he retires and so can't call it best yet. It can change even before the end of the clay season and become less than Sampras's.

However, if anyone has best year round TB stats, I would like to know who holds that.
Someone already asked you, but I forgot which thread was that and the search doesn't work for some reason:

Do you have a big version of that pic in your avatar?
Apemant is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apemant View Post
Someone already asked you, but I forgot which thread was that and the search doesn't work for some reason:

Do you have a big version of that pic in your avatar?
Yes, the big picture is on Federer forum , thread called "Congratulations Roger for breaking the record....", page 1 if I am not mistaken. Also, it is posted by Mirkaland

If you don't find it ask me again and I'll post here the big version.
R.Federer is offline  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

His ability to dominate his serve point with the serve+FH+net or stellar defense when needed along with his ability to put all serves into play allow him to win all of these TB's. It's amazing really.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,459
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Federer View Post
Yes, the big picture is on Federer forum , thread called "Congratulations Roger for breaking the record....", page 1 if I am not mistaken. Also, it is posted by Mirkaland

If you don't find it ask me again and I'll post here the big version.
Found it... thankee
Apemant is offline  
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
His ability to dominate his serve point with the serve+FH+net or stellar defense when needed along with his ability to put all serves into play allow him to win all of these TB's. It's amazing really.
What would you say explains Escude's TB record?
R.Federer is offline  
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Registered User
 
stebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 42
Posts: 11,530
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
His ability to dominate his serve point with the serve+FH+net or stellar defense when needed along with his ability to put all serves into play allow him to win all of these TB's. It's amazing really.
Another funny thing is actually thinking about the record when not in cotrast with other players. If I didn't have access to Fed's TB record I would actually guess it was higher than what it is. 64% is obviously incredible when you look at it in comparison to everyone else but as a stand alone figure it doesn't sound that impressive. Less than 7 out of 10 breakers.

Champions deserve whatever they win playing within the laws of the game
stebs is offline  
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Another funny thing is actually thinking about the record when not in cotrast with other players. If I didn't have access to Fed's TB record I would actually guess it was higher than what it is. 64% is obviously incredible when you look at it in comparison to everyone else but as a stand alone figure it doesn't sound that impressive. Less than 7 out of 10 breakers.
Yes, the average is pulled down by the early years when his record was quite ordinary. I bet it is pretty good if you condition on just the years he was #1.

Since 2000, want to guess what surface his worst TB record is on?
R.Federer is offline  
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Uppsala
Posts: 3,123
                     
Re: Federer tiebreak record

His tiebreak record before he started dominating was not very good, since then he has won 86 out of 116, which is almost 3 out of 4. If he keeps this up I think he will end up with a tiebreak statistics +70%, I certanly dont think he will end with a tiebreak stats worse than he has right now, players just get better in tiebreaks as they gain experience.
marcRD is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome